IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

7 minutes ago, Apple said:

Channel 4  news, and others, reporting how the test track and trace system has gone awry in the UK and some 48,000 people may have been exposed but do not know anything about it.

Hancock says it should not have happened and apparently it is down to not enough space on an excel spread sheet. Seems to be pointing the finger at Public Health UK.

Scottish professor earlier makes the point that if we had a more effective test track and trace system with isolation then we would not be needing the lockdowns and restrictions currently 'enjoyed' in Leicester, Liverpool and Manchester.

How soon before a test track and trace app becomes compulsory, with an inbuilt tracker to keep an eye on those tested. All in the same control room no doubt, not that any respectable health service would share any health related information with the bobbies, oh no sir.

A valid argument could be made for compulsion, but a sizable chunk of the public would not comply. It would not be enforceable, and would not be healthy for a democracy. It will not happen, and I honestly don't believe that Boris for all his faults would want it to.

35 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But Jersey only has fewer restrictions on those who have had a clear test because there are already more restrictions on the population as a whole.  You're basically suggesting that everyone on the Island should go back to mask-wearing and social distancing just to suit a small number of people for a few days, who would also have to abide by those restrictions.

Incidentally Jersey are also tightening up here: From 23:59 Monday 12 October, passengers arriving with a green travel status must isolate until they receive a negative test result.

Family member visits will only work if they can self-isolate properly, so unless it's for a long visit there doesn't seem much point.  The rules about self-isolating within households are already too loose and probably only working because the travellers are being more scrupulous than the rule-makers.  If opened up, effectively those coming will have to be more like temporary residents than visitors.

I'm not suggesting face masks at all or social distsncing.  Where did I say that?

I believe we should be loosening slightly our current position because it won't materially impact risk.  The isolation and test after a week is fine. But if given the all clear I think there should be no restrictions.  And allowing immediate family in isn't opening up a floodgate either.

Negligible risks but a small step forward.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Apple said:

This won't support our reputation one iota.

Aww no, poor guys

14 hours ago, trmpton said:

I said up three that this is a PR nightmare but was dismissed by the usual suspects.

I.e. people pointed out all the other comments you chose to ignore.

As an island we are getting absolutely torn apart on a number of forums etc.

And praised on others.

People who have never heard of the place saying they will never visit

And never would have anyway and considering they seem to be supportive of people not abiding by rules that have kept the island clear for months, why would we want them anyway?

suggesting the human rights card is pulled by the UK.  Reference to backwaters, Royston Vasey, The Wicker Man

"Royston Vassey" - Free of covid for months, whilst they live in a disease teeming leper colony  - one of the worst places in the world for it.

people going on about how we lock up gay people and had the birch until relatively recently.

So, morons then.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Banker said:

idiots calling UK a leper colony they just haven’t got a clue about the real world and reading Facebook too much

I don't actually use facebook btw, How would you suggest their deathrate in the first wave compared with other countries?

How about their current infection rate?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

We were over for seven days and managed not to (symptomatically) catch it. We had a large number of meetings, all socially distanced, didn’t eat out, stayed with a relative. Crucially, we weren’t in contact with anyone we didn’t know for more than 15 minutes.

6 hours ago, Banker said:

Not sure visit profile matters too much, I spent several days in Liverpool in a hotel, ate out 4 times with close family. As long as you take precautions as suggested , avoid crowds and don’t sit in busy pubs by groups of students I didn’t feel there was much risk.

If everyone did what you had done and carried out their lives accordingly, then there would be little problem. All this would be over and out.

There are too many knuckle-headed self-centred, know-it-all people who think the world revolves around them. I am sure Derek saw more than his fair share of that sort in his career.

Like all laws and situations, it's down to the level of the lowest common denominators in our society.

It's a bit shit isn't it.

9 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

I wonder what's happening in Russia, China, Brazil et al. The world status reporting seems to have gone very quiet.

I was just thinking this myself. China seems to have gone very quiet. 

There are a number of countries starting to get fans back into sports stadiums. One of The NFL games in the USA on Sunday had 20,000 fans in (the stadium holds 100,000) 

• Like 1