IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

3 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Yet bizarrely Facebook and Twitter (two of the biggest internet stocks that have benefitted from the Covid hysteria) refused to publish that Tweet. Facebook blocked it, and Twitter put it behind a fake news warning. So who is manipulating who when their stocks are sky-rocketing on the back of widespread covid hysteria keeping people glued to social media? 

Your argument here is tenuous and convoluted. More or less a non sequitur.

1 minute ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Google, Facebook, Microsoft and Twitter etc have a very scary amount of power these days.

Fortunately they're the good guys though, right? Along with Apple. Educated, smart, grown up.

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

To be honest, if we were receiving accurate information  (vis the daily death toll) we may be less questioning. 

I doubt this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Google, Facebook, Microsoft and Twitter etc have a very scary amount of power these days.

God knows how many million people they’ve helped keep scared indoors in the last 6 months using mainly their services and those of Amazon as a life line instead of them going out and benefitting the high street or the physical economy. 

Trump should siimply say that Covid and winter flu are taking far too many lives and that He will do everything he can to reduce that toll?

Nevermind the %s, the usual winter mordibity, the democrats who die, just look after them all?

30 minutes ago, NoTail said:

What is ethical approval?  How does it differ from any other approval?  

Just interested. 

It means that the R&D has been assessed by a research ethics committee to make sure that we're not going to do anything unethical during the proposed research project (like clone babies, or put bleach in the eyes of bunnies). Fairly straightforward for pathogen surveillance as the ethical part of the process is more along the lines of not publishing data and results in a way that might identify patients. The UK on a whole has been good so far in using genomics for COVID19 - have a look at https://www.cogconsortium.uk/ as the IoM data will be (anonymously) feeding into this.

• Like 2

Just now, thesultanofsheight said:

God knows how many million people they’ve helped keep scared indoors in the last 6 months using mainly their services and those of Amazon as a life line instead of them going out and benefitting the high street or the physical economy. 

That's right. It's all a conspiracy.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I don't watch telly. And have kinda not read any coronavirus news other than IOM for a few weeks, wasn't doing me any good. My fault for not being informed.

But isn't that the very nub of the issue?  This virus has a direct impact on everyone in many, many ways, shouldn't you keep informed and critically consider the information you receive rather than rely on the 'general populace feeling' who themselves are not looking critically on the information they receive?

• Like 1

Just now, Gladys said:

But isn't that the very nub of the issue?  This virus has a direct impact on everyone in many, many ways, shouldn't you keep informed and critically consider the information you receive rather than rely on the 'general populace feeling' who themselves are not looking critically on the information they receive?

You seem to be confusing information and data here. Information is subjective almost by definition.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Probably yes, but not at the expense of mental wellbeing.

I'm in a very fortunate position of not really being impacted now that we're back to "normal" here. I've actually been working from home for 4 years now. I've been keeping roughly abreast of whether things are getting better or worse, and how lockdown rules are changing in the UK, but I couldn't even give you a rough estimate of the case & death numbers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pongo said:

WTF? I think all conspiracy theories are bollocks. Ditto the nonsense from people who blather on about elites etc. No time for any of it.

If I had a penny every time I saw someone shitting themselves about Bill Gates putting tracking chips in masks (yes), and claiming the elites are all killing and eating children to stay young, I'd have many pennies.

The bit that always makes me laugh is that they post these concerns about being tracked by Bill Gates on Facebook...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pongo said:

You seem to be confusing information and data here. Information is subjective almost by definition.

Either way, people need to critically consider the information or data they receive and should actually be seeking it out. 

• Like 2

Bottom line: Those not taking it seriously basically think it's all an elite conspiracy.

Me: Pleased to be living and working here at the moment. Grateful for all the good work which has been done.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Probably yes, but not at the expense of mental wellbeing.

I'm in a very fortunate position of not really being impacted now that we're back to "normal" here. I've actually been working from home for 4 years now. I've been keeping roughly abreast of whether things are getting better or worse, and how lockdown rules are changing in the UK, but I couldn't even give you a rough estimate of the case & death numbers.

But how can you keep abreast of how good or bad things are if you don't have the data or information and critically consider it? 

You are an intelligent person, why wouldn't you critically review information?  If you don't and all you are hearing is that Armageddon is bring visited upon the UK    then, of course, your mental health will suffer.