IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, pongo said:

Are you answering on her behalf, or are you channelling Southfork?

Neither I was just pointing out that there was the small matter of the German occupation. I was responding to Woolley I hadn’t really read the initial post. 

42 minutes ago, pongo said:

I prefer to listen to the experts. No harm in being cautious. It's better for the economy longer term too.

The official death toll in the UK has now passed 50,000. Unofficially - God only knows.

Is it the experts being cautious, or is it politicians who are naturally cautious creatures anyway. Personally I think the slow step dance now being performed is led by the politicians. If it wasn’t hurting so many businesses and their employees I would agree with you, but there is real harm and hardship for struggling businesses especially in the retail and hospitality sectors. I am in neither, but I know enough who are. Then you factor in the educational damage done, and destined to be done under this cautious approach...

32 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

There was the trifling small matter of the German Occupation I suppose. I don’t think it was that popular amongst Islanders. 

No, but hardly something the UK could ameliorate with Great Britain in mortal danger from imminent invasion. Anyone who wished to leave was evacuated. The islanders understood this. Would a pointless "last stand" have yielded a better result even if resources had been available?

3 minutes ago, WTF said:

the falklands are much further away but we can hang to them 

The Argentinians were hardly the same threat as the Nazis. I can't believe we are having a discussion with a serious contention that the UK could/should have defended the Channel Islands militarily in 1940. Such nonsense.

Edited by woolley

7 minutes ago, woolley said:

No, but hardly something the UK could ameliorate with Great Britain in mortal danger from imminent invasion. Anyone who wished to leave was evacuated. The islanders understood this. Would a pointless "last stand" have yielded a better result even if resources had been available?

I’m not sure why it bothers you. You made some reference to WW2 and sentiment in the channels islands and I merely said that there was the small matter of the occupation which I would imagine didn’t go down too well there. That was it. No need to go off on one. This is a thread about removing border restrictions in the IOM which needs to be done ASAP not a proposed German occupation of the Sea Terminal. 

1 hour ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I mention the end of June because by then we will have 4 weeks more data about how things are panning out elsewhere.

I would be very surprised if the situation in the neighbouring island was sufficiently reassuring for the border to open by the end of this month.

3 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

I would be very surprised if the situation in the neighbouring island was sufficiently reassuring for the border to open by the end of this month.

I doubt it will be an awful lot longer than that. People are getting restless now, apart from the paranoid. I acknowledge that there are quite a lot of those.

13 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

No chance this was made clear this week by the CM and when the borders start opening it will not be a free for all it will be direct flights or boats to countries with very low infection and quite right too.

We'll see.

1 hour ago, Mr Newbie said:

I’m not sure why it bothers you. You made some reference to WW2 and sentiment in the channels islands and I merely said that there was the small matter of the occupation which I would imagine didn’t go down too well there. That was it. No need to go off on one. This is a thread about removing border restrictions in the IOM which needs to be done ASAP not a proposed German occupation of the Sea Terminal. 

Sounds familiar this. Sigh