IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

14 minutes ago, Banker said:

That’s basically why it’s been done,no testing means no cases so Howie can say Covid free!

Now anyone coming back and feeling ill with minor symptoms after 6/7 days will probably just sit it out as won’t want another 14 days

Maybe. But if you develop symptoms, you are supposed to arrange to be tested. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

However sensible it was, we purposely avoided the 7 day test on the chance we might have been asymptomatic and ended up with 21 days indoors rather than 14.

we really need to come up with a new plan for all this.  How has Jersey managed this and been able to stay ostensibly open? What are we missing?

A strategy? Outside of a 1 in 5000 infection rate in the UK being our only trigger to do something. 

We won't be moving forward with anything constructive in the next 6 months.

Maybe Mr Quayle got fed up with all the dripping, moaning, bitching and criticism on MF when he's only doing his best for everyone. Bless him.

So he obviously thought:

"They think the current restrictions are tough? I'll show them what tough is...!"

So it's self-inflicted I'm afraid....

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

This move in nothing more than a disincentive for residents to travel and the Council should be honest about this rather than blame infection rates in the UK. It is not returning residents who pose the greatest risk it is key workers who can carry on as before but without sausage rolls.

it’s interesting that the welders were brought in because some ‘blowing up’ was required. Now there’s a thought!

Just now, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

A strategy? Outside of a 1 in 5000 infection rate in the UK being our only trigger to do something. 

6 months is being optimistic mate. I've written off the next 2 years. 

22 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Did Howie give any evidence to support removing the 7 days testing other than the cases are higher in UK?

would have expected a senior medical expert to be rolled out to give some evidence as to why it wasn’t working, risks from continuing etc

9 minutes ago, Anyone said:

True. But let’s not get too cocky. Covid will come back here , it’s inevitable unless the borders are permanently shut and that may well be the case with the current council. When it does it’ll be a severe lockdown again. 

Yes it will be back in the community by the end of the year.  I will be flabbergasted if it isn’t.

I really hope they have a really robust plan for when that happens, because personally I would have preferred that to happen a couple of months ago than in deepest darkest December in the middle of the NHS’ busiest time anyway and peak flu and cold season.

24 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Maybe Mr Quayle got fed up with all the dripping, moaning, bitching and criticism on MF when he's only doing his best for everyone. Bless him.

So he obviously thought:

"They think the current restrictions are tough? I'll show them what tough is...!"

So it's self-inflicted I'm afraid....

You really are some bitter a twisted clown. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, trmpton said:

I really hope they have a really robust plan for when that happens, because personally I would have preferred that to happen a couple of months ago than in deepest darkest December in the middle of the NHS’ busiest time anyway and peak flu and cold season.

I think that’s a really valid point. We seem to have successfully put it off until exactly the wrong time of year. It will be back here in weeks (if it isn’t already to be honest). You can tell by the tone of the radio announcement today that there’s a bit of panic setting in. They've also found a great way to stop testing most people now so really nobody is going to be found positive until someone is found to be actually ill and tested and really they can only be in isolation as well. Makes the hysterical Facebook Karen’s feel safe I’m sure to have no reports of Covid I suppose! 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Yes it will be back in the community by the end of the year.  I will be flabbergasted if it isn’t.

I think the next step will be whole households having to isolate if they have a traveler in with them.

The bed they've made is hyper-conservative no community virus or bust. Though, Jersey, as the least risk-averse island has also started discouraging the influx of arrivals with mandatory quarantine.

I think there will be a panic and heavy consideration of level 5 as soon as we do get confirmed transmission on the island, we're so back to normal compared to other places, that it could spread reasonably easily.

I just fear for the businesses that'll be hanging by the skin of their teeth, especially for all the christmas parties etc. that won't happen if we're back flirting with lockdown.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I think that’s a really valid point. We seem to have successfully put it off until exactly the wrong time of year. It will be back here in weeks (if it isn’t already) you can tell by the tone of the radio announcement today. They've also found a great way to stop testing most people now so really nobody is going to be found positive until someone is found to be actually ill and tested and really they can only be in isolation as well. Makes the dumb hysterical ones feel safe I’m sure to have no reports of Covid I suppose! 

No one has ever really replied but I have said several times.  I honestly don’t think they ever intended to pick up this unsustainable “Covid free” moniker.  Now they have they are scared to let it go and I really can’t help but think we (and New Zealand etc) are going to be worse placed in a few months than those who have learned to deal with it the best they could.

I hope I am wrong but fear I am right.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, trmpton said:

No one has ever really replied but I have said several times.  I honestly don’t think they ever intended to pick up this unsustainable “Covid free” moniker.  Now they have they are scared to let it go and I really can’t help but think we (and New Zealand etc) are going to be worse placed in a few months than those who have learned to deal with it the best they could.

I hope I am wrong but fear I am right.

The best tactic was to live with this from day one similar to Jersey. I’m not criticizing governments approach but we’ve ended up with nowhere to go. And when it comes back (as it will) there will be a devastating psychological meltdown from most of the hysterical idiots who have bought into the whole covid-free fairy tale. You only need to read the comments online about the welders. I’d guess 80% of this island would have freely welcomed a public execution and some heads on spikes at the Sea Terminal. It’s sick and twisted insular behaviour. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 3