IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Rather like with Covid 19 today, during the great cholera epidemics of the 19th century much of the poorly educated working class doubted that the thing was real - with some believing that the crisis was being used to force through greater government control.

• Confused 1

Just now, trmpton said:

No one has ever really replied but I have said several times.  I honestly don’t think they ever intended to pick up this unsustainable “Covid free” moniker.  Now they have they are scared to let it go and I really can’t help but think we (and New Zealand etc) are going to be worse placed in a few months than those who have learned to deal with it the best they could.

I hope I am wrong but fear I am right.

The cases compared to deaths in the uk would suggest the right people were being infected I. E fit and healthy.  I saw a headline on one paper today that said 4 out of 5 people show no symptoms. The media is starting to turn which for politicians is dangerous.

• Like 1

Just now, thommo2010 said:

The cases compared to deaths in the uk would suggest the right people were being infected I. E fit and healthy.  I saw a headline on one paper today that said 4 out of 5 people show no symptoms. The media is starting to turn which for politicians is dangerous.

This is because most of those getting infected are university students who are all locked in together! 1000 infected just at Newcastle university.

if they had delayed university start for face to face until January the numbers would have been much lower but all about getting fees in for universities 

• Like 1

It is all about timing, and I'm afraid we are now a little out of synch. We have done the right things but at the wrong time. Closed too late, opened up to much too early etc. Govt are now really between a rock and a hard place.

The first priority is for the safety of the public and I think that is seriously what they are trying in earnest to do as I think they are as scared as a lot of people on the island are showing about what the eventual outcomes will or might  be. 

Howie is a bit like Trump, he said the reason USA is having lots of cases is because of all the testing so let’s not test so many!!

Howie thinks how can I get cases down as lots of Karens are scared, I know let’s not test anyone and then soon we will have 0 cases

10 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I've seen a few people say this, but looking back surely they got it right? I was pretty dubious at the time but happy to get back to work.

It was more the travel arrangements and the social separations I think.

They say hindsight is a wonderful thing, but foresight is even better. The UK knew it was heading their way and we knew it would then come our way if they didn't do enough to contain it. They were arrogant, late to shut things down  and assumed it wouldn't affect us all as it did. They were wrong, and so were we to hold one to their coat tails too long until we broke away.

Edited by Apple
fingers again.

34 minutes ago, Apple said:

It is all about timing, and I'm afraid we are now a little out of synch. We have done the right things but at the wrong time. Closed too late, opened up to much too early etc. Govt are now really between a rock and a hard place.

The first priority is for the safety of the public and I think that is seriously what they are trying in earnest to do as I think they are as scared as a lot of people on the island are showing about what the eventual outcomes will or might  be. 

That's mainly incorrect.

How was anything opened too early? If anything it was later than it should have been.

Perhaps Wrighty can clarify the information being fed to Comin that is shaping this decision today.  As far as I can see Howard provided no substantial detail on the reason for the removal of the 7 day test.  

If he had said " well the implementation of the 7 days test saw a tripling of traffic in and out of the island which has, in turn, seen a rise in cases given the escalation in the UK " there might be some context to it. 

As it is, it simply seems to be about testing less people will yield less potentially positive results.

It's hugely disappointing that questions are not asked which force Comin to answer this and explain the actual rationale.

There really is NO PLAN.   7 months into it and not any idea how to make progressive steps.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

That's mainly incorrect.

How was anything opened too early? If anything it was later than it should have been.

Perhaps Wrighty can clarify the information being fed to Comin that is shaping this decision today.  As far as I can see Howard provided no substantial detail on the reason for the removal of the 7 day test.  

If he had said " well the implementation of the 7 days test saw a tripling of traffic in and out of the island which has, in turn, seen a rise in cases given the escalation in the UK " there might be some context to it. 

As it is, it simply seems to be about testing less people will yield less potentially positive results.

It's hugely disappointing that questions are not asked which force Comin to answer this and explain the actual rationale.

There really is NO PLAN.   7 months into it and not any idea how to make progressive steps.  

Hopefully some questions next week in keys but to change testing without presenting any evidence is just ridiculous and confusing 

There is no good way out of where we are unless COVID goes away.

Either you let people in, expect some spread and manage it through social distancing, masks etc. Or you just lock down and hope for it to blow over.

The former will upset a lot of people and disrupt a lot of businesses, the latter will keep on really pushing what a lot of the travel-related turnover isn't supporting.

I agree that we are in a good spot and was a staunch proponent of the strict lockdown that works, but in essence, we are scuppered til the big Island get their shit together.

• Like 1