IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

10 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

There is no good way out of where we are unless COVID goes away.

Either you let people in, expect some spread and manage it through social distancing, masks etc. Or you just lock down and hope for it to blow over.

The former will upset a lot of people and disrupt a lot of businesses, the latter will keep on really pushing what a lot of the travel-related turnover isn't supporting.

I agree that we are in a good spot and was a staunch proponent of the strict lockdown that works, but in essence, we are scuppered til the big Island get their shit together.

Which it won't for a good few months. Just wait till they send the students back home.

6 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

That's mainly incorrect.

How was anything opened too early? If anything it was later than it should have been.

Perhaps Wrighty can clarify the information being fed to Comin that is shaping this decision today.  As far as I can see Howard provided no substantial detail on the reason for the removal of the 7 day test.  

If he had said " well the implementation of the 7 days test saw a tripling of traffic in and out of the island which has, in turn, seen a rise in cases given the escalation in the UK " there might be some context to it. 

As it is, it simply seems to be about testing less people will yield less potentially positive results.

It's hugely disappointing that questions are not asked which force Comin to answer this and explain the actual rationale.

There really is NO PLAN.   7 months into it and not any idea how to make progressive steps.  

Firstly from what we saw on our crossing it's not a flood but a trickle.

Secondly, for example, in business have you ever tried to hit a moving target?

Because it doesn't sound like it....

Now I'm a great believer in having a plan for no other reason than it's better to have a plan than not to have a plan. However broadcasting a plan has the massive downside of setting expectations. Now it doesn't matter if factors completely out of your control, like the appalling mismanagement of the virus in the UK, turns your plan into a completely unviable one you will still be pilloried by the hard of thinking for your alleged lack of foresight.

That's the situation Mr Quayle et al are in. It's a completely dynamic situation which means by the time they've made a new plan it's already out of date.

In the UK the virus is on the up and I have to say seemingly out of control. So the obvious thing to do is tighten up on the borders to prevent what's happening in the UK happening here. Then you have no other choice but to wait it out until the situation across stabilises at the very least. Then you might have a situation that your plan might survive in.

Still, one upside maybe for once the great and good are having to earn their free money....

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I'm following the discussion with interest and quite honestly a degree of incredulity at the extremes of comment.

My view is that in the circumstances we are doing reasonably well and are walking the middle path with delicate steps.

I also lean towards the view that there is no urgent need to alter much as there is no urgent reason to go off island for anyone and equally there is no reason for many folk to come to the island, of course we need to export and import goods.

My personal view is those who shout the loudest are those whose vast fortunes are not growing quite so fast and those whose hedonistic lifestyle is being curtailed.

I feel sympathy for folk who honestly need to see their relatives for emotional reasons but still don't feel it is necessarily a life or death reason.

There ya go, my views, I'm not arguing or trying to justify them so say what ya like I won't discuss it

• Like 6

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

....I’d guess 80% of this island would have freely welcomed a public execution and some heads on spikes at the Sea Terminal. 

Nah. We're saving that for the DOI geniuses behind the Prom...

• Like 2

Bloomberg business survey puts NZ's Covid response out in front

Business leaders have put New Zealand way out in front when assessing different countries’ management of the Covid crisis, according to a Bloomberg Media survey.

The survey of 700 senior executives also found New Zealand was the country that they would be most confident about investing in.

I'm pleased that the IOM has been able to follow a similar path.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

My personal view is those who shout the loudest are those whose vast fortunes are not growing quite so fast and those whose hedonistic lifestyle is being curtailed.

I feel sympathy for folk who honestly need to see their relatives for emotional reasons but still don't feel it is necessarily a life or death reason.

There ya go, my views, I'm not arguing or trying to justify them so say what ya like I won't discuss it

That’s the basic Brexit voters argument though. I don’t have a problem with the economy potentially tanking as I don’t really need a job to pay my bills so I don’t see what all the fuss is about. I’m not attacking you as you’re one of the most balanced posters on here but I’m not living a hedonistic lifestyle. I’d like to see proper monitoring of the borders. I’d like to see all arrivals checked for self isolation (by real people employed by government from my taxes), and signs up on the boat put up by people my taxes fund educating people as to the rules and ramifications of breaching laws here, and I’d like to see Manx students be allowed to return not listen to a load insular covid-loons (most of whom aren’t Manx) who want to disown them and cast them into the sea as it’s the easy opinion. 

18 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

I'm following the discussion with interest and quite honestly a degree of incredulity at the extremes of comment.

My view is that in the circumstances we are doing reasonably well and are walking the middle path with delicate steps.

I also lean towards the view that there is no urgent need to alter much as there is no urgent reason to go off island for anyone and equally there is no reason for many folk to come to the island, of course we need to export and import goods.

Now now, there's no need for balanced sensible posting. Jeez Doc!! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

That’s the basic Brexit voters argument though. I don’t have a problem with the economy potentially tanking as I don’t really need a job to pay my bills so I don’t see what all the fuss is about. I’m not attacking you as you’re one of the most balanced posters on here but I’m not living a hedonistic lifestyle. I’d like to see proper monitoring of the borders. I’d like to see all arrivals checked for self isolation (by real people employed by government from my taxes), and signs up on the boat put up by people my taxes fund educating people as to the rules and ramifications of breaching laws here, and I’d like to see Manx students be allowed to return not listen to a load insular covid-loons (most of whom aren’t Manx) who want to disown them and cast them into the sea as it’s the easy opinion. 

Is your business negatively affected by the current local regulations? If so ( - and in a spirit of communicating and sharing - ) how?

4 minutes ago, pongo said:

Is your business negatively affected by the current local regulations? If so ( - and in a spirit of communicating and sharing - ) how?

Here’s my guess Pingu. I’m not sure you speak to people in the real world. The IOM economy over the last 30 years has largely been built on VAT arbitrage. A focus on the local economy at this time is a bit of a distraction when 70% of our VAT receipts are not based on transactions in our local economy. They are based on transactions which go on elsewhere through Manx companies. I can guess what the end result of this will be 12 months from now. By that stage you might not be so smug that local bacon bap sales are up 20%. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Here’s my guess Pingu. I’m not sure you speak to people in the real world. The IOM economy over the last 30 years has largely been built on VAT arbitrage. A focus on the local economy at this time is a bit of a distraction when 70% of our VAT receipts are not based on transactions in our local economy. They are based on transactions which go on elsewhere through Manx companies. I can guess what the end result of this will be 12 months from now. By that stage you might not be so smug that local bacon bap sales are up 20%. 

So _ I will ask you again: Is your business negatively affected by the current local regulations? If so how? WHy not just answer in a friendly and honest manner?

One way and another, I've been in computing most of my life from about 16. With a brief period of slacking around in the 2000s.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, pongo said:

So _ I will ask you again: Is your business negatively affected by the current local regulations? If so how? WHy not just answer in a friendly and honest manner?

One way and another, I've been in computing most of my life from about 16. With a brief period of slacking around in the 2000s.

Loads are, and you really don't have to be a genius to work out why.

Hotels and tourist accommodation

Hire cars

Cleaners of said accommodation

Suppliers of food to hotels

Suppliers of goods to cleaners

Taxis

Removal businesses

Man and Van businesses who collect items from UK, or take them there

Manufacturing businesses who cant attract qualified staff (replace "manufacturing" for "any")

Betting businesses who cant retain existing staff (replace "betting" for "any")

Events businesses who reply on bringing guests over.

Accountants to all of the above

Marketing businesses who work for any of the above

Recruitment consultants

Office cleaners to any of the above

Web designers to any of the above

Marketing consultancies to any of the above

Do you see how this is panning out yet?

Yes, my business (and life) has been hugely affected by the border closure. I work in aviation and travel relentlessly. Have done for years. In normal times I would travel off island several times a month. I left home in February and haven’t been back since. Lucky I had somewhere to lay my head over here. I’d love to come back and pick up some more clothes but can’t spare a couple of weeks doing nothing. It’s tough enough refocusing where there might be some income. Just when I thought a trip might be possible........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

No Urgent need? Unless you're having medical treatment. How many people are travelling back and forth to Liverpool every day?

17 minutes ago, pongo said:

I take it that English is your first language?