IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

2 hours ago, pongo said:

So _ I will ask you again: Is your business negatively affected by the current local regulations? If so how? WHy not just answer in a friendly and honest manner?

One way and another, I've been in computing most of my life from about 16. With a brief period of slacking around in the 2000s.

You're wasting your breath, he just enjoys howling at the moon

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, trmpton said:

Loads are, and you really don't have to be a genius to work out why.

Hotels and tourist accommodation

Hire cars

Cleaners of said accommodation

Suppliers of food to hotels

Suppliers of goods to cleaners

Taxis

Removal businesses

Man and Van businesses who collect items from UK, or take them there

Manufacturing businesses who cant attract qualified staff (replace "manufacturing" for "any")

Betting businesses who cant retain existing staff (replace "betting" for "any")

Events businesses who reply on bringing guests over.

Accountants to all of the above

Marketing businesses who work for any of the above

Recruitment consultants

Office cleaners to any of the above

Web designers to any of the above

Marketing consultancies to any of the above

Do you see how this is panning out yet?

what a wild inaccurate list...

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Basically no one is checking anyone is keeping to isolation and the only reason the welders got caught is because they had face masks on ad stupidly told someone in Tesco !

i was never contacted once during isolation and I know of someone who has come from USA for funeral on compassionate entry and also has not been contacted once in 2 weeks despite coming from high risk countries 

This person who came across on compassionate grounds to attend a funeral. Was the 14-day self-isolation waived so they could attend the service? Or was the deceased kept in storage for two plus weeks so they could attend?

Because in my regrettable experience of these things I would expect a test on Day 7 would be unavoidable?

Just curious...

7 hours ago, P.K. said:

This person who came across on compassionate grounds to attend a funeral. Was the 14-day self-isolation waived so they could attend the service? Or was the deceased kept in storage for two plus weeks so they could attend?

Because in my regrettable experience of these things I would expect a test on Day 7 would be unavoidable?

Just curious...

I’m aware of one recent case where the date of the funeral was arranged so as to allow the son of the deceased person to travel from overseas and self-isolate for 14 days prior to the funeral being held.

6 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

I’m aware of one recent case where the date of the funeral was arranged so as to allow the son of the deceased person to travel from overseas and self-isolate for 14 days prior to the funeral being held.

Looks like the gov have thought it through and are doing a decent job of it.

Well done. [Swoon]

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Banker said:

Basically no medical evidence behind decision to remove 7 days testing other than to make Howie look good by Havers no cases. Here’s his comment 

The chief minister says it will 'improve the number of coronavirus cases on the Isle of Man'.

Of course it will. Fewer tests...fewer positives...number of cases goes down.

The weird thing the Angry Yorkshireman if he lived here he would be exactly the type calling for stricter sentences for COVID transgressors.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Major Rushen said:

Suspending the 7 day test is the same as Guernsey and Jersey red areas. If we had traffic lights all our arrivals would be from red = not eligible for 7 day test.

But we don’t have traffic lights system and Howie admitted reason for scrapping was so we have no cases

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Major Rushen said:

Suspending the 7 day test is the same as Guernsey and Jersey red areas. If we had traffic lights all our arrivals would be from red = not eligible for 7 day test.

It still should be optional. If people think they’ve got it they won’t test and waste £50 and risk another week of isolation anyway. But I don't agree with completely banning tests. The results show outputs in terms of areas in the UK people have come from etc which build a picture of infection transmission. Even our government testing cheerleader doesn’t seem to agree with it from what she’s posted on Twitter. 

14 hours ago, Banker said:
14 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

That's mainly incorrect.

How was anything opened too early? If anything it was later than it should have been.

Perhaps Wrighty can clarify the information being fed to Comin that is shaping this decision today.  As far as I can see Howard provided no substantial detail on the reason for the removal of the 7 day test.  

If he had said " well the implementation of the 7 days test saw a tripling of traffic in and out of the island which has, in turn, seen a rise in cases given the escalation in the UK " there might be some context to it. 

As it is, it simply seems to be about testing less people will yield less potentially positive results.

It's hugely disappointing that questions are not asked which force Comin to answer this and explain the actual rationale.

There really is NO PLAN.   7 months into it and not any idea how to make progressive steps.  

Expand  

Hopefully some questions next week in keys but to change testing without presenting any evidence is just ridiculous and confusing 

Decisions were made at the start of this and still are being made without the evidence to support it. My opinion is still that the timing of activity was incorrect. 

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Basically no medical evidence behind decision to remove 7 days testing other than to make Howie look good by Havers no cases. Here’s his comment 

The chief minister says it will 'improve the number of coronavirus cases on the Isle of Man'.

Why should there be medical evidence, when all the evidence you need is 17,500 new cases in one day, mainly in the North of England. 

Removing the seven day test is a deterrent. As I have said before, the last thing Iom needs is Covid in the community and another lock down. Iom cannot afford it. Howie has done the correct thing. 

Well done gov.im. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1