IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

These are the reasons that I think were behind the removing the 7 day restriction:

1. Too many positive 'cases' that were upsetting the more risk averse amongst us

2. To try to decrease travel to and from the island

3. To be seen to do 'something/anything' to appease the shouty risk averse people amongst us

4. He wants the islands 'Covid Free' badge back

It would be nice to think that he has the intellect and the courage to attempt herd immunity on the quiet, but I think not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

These are the reasons that I think were behind the removing the 7 day restriction:

1. Too many positive 'cases' that were upsetting the more risk averse amongst us

2. To try to decrease travel to and from the island

3. To be seen to do 'something/anything' to appease the shouty risk averse people amongst us

4. He wants the islands 'Covid Free' badge back

It would be nice to think that he has the intellect and the courage to attempt herd immunity on the quiet, but I think not.

Or it could just be removing the Day 7 test decreases the risk of Covid getting in....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

it would actually be a great question for someone like Chris Thomas to ask in Tynwald:

Could the government confirm a break down of weekly visitors/entrants into the island in the 6 weeks leading up to the 7 day test being brought in (to be split down by segment of key worker or not etc) and the follow x weeks including the total number and split of those. 

I would be VERY surprised if the change to 7 day testing prompted a material increase in visitors.

Assuming it didn't then this removal is simply done in a belief that less positive covid tests will materialise.

Or it could just be removing the Day 7 test decreases the risk of Covid getting in....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

How so?  

You haven't read the thread...?

Early September Mr Quayle brought in what was clearly a relaxation of the quarantine rules. From self-isolation from Day 1 to Day 14 to a Test on Day 7 and if negative then released from self-isolation with caveats.

Personally I never found out why you had to have caveats (wearing a mask, not allowed in pubs or restaurants etc) after a negative test from Day 8 to Day 14. Therefore I assumed that even after a Day 7 negative test there was still an element of risk. Not an unreasonable assumption I would say.

Therefore if Mr Quayle is removing that option it's being done to remove the risk that caused that strategy to have caveats attached to it in the first place.

However I would still like to see the risk assessment that caused them...

12 minutes ago, Gladys said:

How so?  

Fewer people choosing to go away because they don't want to have to quarantine for 14 days rather than 7.

It's a maybe. On the plus side it simplifies the protocols. There definitely seemed to be a certain amount of confusion about what was allowed after 7 days.

1 hour ago, Banker said:

You really do love Howie & he can do no wrong in your eyes, you did read Rachel Glover tweet saying he consulted no one?

Don't do twitter.

As I posted a little bit back surely Mr Quayle has science underpinning his decisions....

9 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

Covered by point 3. less travel, less risk.

Do you have the numbers that demonstrate the new relaxed regulations were responsible for an increase in travel?

ETA - Thinking about it mummy and daddy packing kids off to uni would probably have pushed the numbers up...

Edited by P.K.

14 minutes ago, P.K. said:

You haven't read the thread...?

Early September Mr Quayle brought in what was clearly a relaxation of the quarantine rules. From self-isolation from Day 1 to Day 14 to a Test on Day 7 and if negative then released from self-isolation with caveats.

Personally I never found out why you had to have caveats (wearing a mask, not allowed in pubs or restaurants etc) after a negative test from Day 8 to Day 14. Therefore I assumed that even after a Day 7 negative test there was still an element of risk. Not an unreasonable assumption I would say.

Therefore if Mr Quayle is removing that option it's being done to remove the risk that caused that strategy to have caveats attached to it in the first place.

However I would still like to see the risk assessment that caused them...

You know I have read the thread and every link.

So, how does not testing prevent new cases?  If someone one arrives and goes into quarantine for 14 days  but are not tested because they are not able to take the 7 day test, it does not actually stop them having covid, it just stops it being recorded.  And as Dr Glover points out, the 7 day test was useful information.

So, with a 7 day test, those positives were not only recorded but required to isolate for a further 14 days, so making pretty sure of no community transmission.  On the logic of the old 7 day test regime, we are likely to have more people released into the wild with covid as they can circulate with 14 days not 21. 

It is about time measures were taken to reflect the transmission risk rather than either responding to the mass hysteria (whipped up in order to gain compliance in the early days which now cannot be easily turned off) or protecting the kudos of a covid free island. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Don't do twitter.

As I posted a little bit back surely Mr Quayle has science underpinning his decisions....

How many fucking times do you need to be told he has no science!!!

here is a copy of Rachel tweet again, read it this time & stop going on about Howie must have science to help decisions!!!

Honestly, it would have been nice if COMIN/

had given us the heads up. Or asked us about the statistics and risks associated with day 7 testing. It's not like we don't do this professionally for a living. Reading "papers" are not a substitute for professional advice