IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

18 minutes ago, Banker said:

Couldn’t have described it better. Saint David will be a shoo in at the 2021 Election to the HOK, and no doubt now, with a ringing endorsement from HRH The Chief Minister, a possible shoo in for the role of Chief Minister. Apparently the citation for the award of MBE says David Ashford was praised for his strong leadership of the DHSC. I thought the health service was originally fcuked up by previous Health Ministers which included HRH The Chief Minister and their Civil Servants. David Ashford hasn’t saved it ............. yet, we don’t know how Manx Care is going to play out. I would also say surely more medical staff from Nobles could have rewarded?

Finally I would add that honour awards to politicos, should be made after they have retired.

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Couldn’t have described it better. Saint David will be a shoo in at the 2021 Election to the HOK, and no doubt now, with a ringing endorsement from HRH The Chief Minister, a possible shoo in for the role of Chief Minister. Apparently the citation for the award of MBE says David Ashford was praised for his strong leadership of the DHSC. I thought the health service was originally fcuked up by previous Health Ministers which included HRH The Chief Minister and their Civil Servants. David Ashford hasn’t saved it ............. yet, we don’t know how Manx Care is going to play out. I would also say surely more medical staff from Nobles could have rewarded?

Finally I would add that honour awards to politicos, should be made after they have retired.

Yeh.  Whatever.  Give it a rest ffs:whatever:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Twitch said:

Not bad for being told what to do.

Any honours for the clinicians?

One would hope so. Of those known to these boards, alone, Wrighty and Rachel Glover deserve recognition for their work in this matter.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

So, how does not testing prevent new cases? If someone one arrives and goes into quarantine for 14 days but are not tested because they are not able to take the 7 day test, it does not actually stop them having covid, it just stops it being recorded. And as Dr Glover points out, the 7 day test was useful information...

Ashie "hasn't ruled out" introducing testing on the 13th day of isolation. Logically, this has to be a more effectively-accurate method of virus-containment, lessening the potential number of cases entering into the community. Presumably, this means anyone unlucky enough to return a positive result after the day 13 test needs then to be tested again on the day +20 to ensure they're no longer infectious? Would this be cost-effective and safer in the long term with a view to containing numbers? It's not a question of if, only a question of when, that our "Covid bubble" will burst. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Very pleased for him as I think he actually did a good job and "got it" more than others in government, including Howie, or Mr Quayle, as we must deferentially call him. 

Ashford did perform better than Quayle (as did my neighbour’s spaniel) but yet again we see a politician picking up a gong for simply doing their job  - there was no ‘above and beyond’ aspect to what Ashford did. The guys that empty my wheelie bin turned up every week, were cheerful, efficient, friendly and polite. They did their job. Where are their MBEs?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, P.K. said:

As I hope I pointed out what I thought was clearly enough the caveats around being released into the wild after a negative test on Day 7 indicated to me that there was still an element of risk involved with doing so.

Or do you think they did it just for a laugh...?

Of course, testing on Day 7 or waiting until symptoms develop up to Day 14 makes absolutely no difference whatsoever to the number of folks coming to the island with the virus.

The day 7 testing was really an appeasement exercise for folks wanting the border controls to be relaxed further somewhat, whilst keeping the 'shut the doors' brigade at bay.

It basically meant that in specific cases, you could go back to work within a week or go for walkies. You were/are still encouraged to be distanced as much as possible.

The Guernsey 7th day test allowed you everywhere bar care homes and medical facilities without prior notice.

The island's approach of no news is good news is going to be problematic eventually. Might bite us in the bottom nearer Christmas as the influx of off-island residents living with people who are still able to go out and about will all but guarantee at least some community cases.

Whilst revoking it now may well make sense given the situation in the UK, it was always a very cautious toe in the water to releasing people early.

32 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Please no, can we have someone who has a bit of dynamism. Uber cautious, baby steps Ashford is a good second in command, but not a leader. Deserves the gong though, he did a good job, even though I disagree with his approach.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, quilp said:

Ashie "hasn't ruled out" introducing testing on the 13th day of isolation. Logically, this has to be a more effectively-accurate method of virus-containment, lessening the potential number of cases entering into the community. Presumably, this means anyone unlucky enough to return a positive result after the day 13 test needs then to be tested again on the day +20 to ensure they're no longer infectious? Would this be cost-effective and safer in the long term with a view to containing numbers? It's not a question of if, only a question of when, that our "Covid bubble" will burst. 

How would it lessen the potential number of cases in the community when people are isolating in a house with other people?  Of course there is this notion that people completely isolate but in reality that doesn't happen.

Scrapping the 7 day test is about nothing more than avoiding reporting positive results.

Just now, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

How would it lessen the potential number of cases in the community when people are isolating in a house with other people?  Of course there is this notion that people completely isolate but in reality that doesn't happen.

Scrapping the 7 day test is about nothing more than avoiding reporting positive results.

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree that the sharing of a house with a positive case is a complete nonsense because some people are just plain stupid and careless whilst as we have seen, some just cannot be trusted and whether 7 day or 13 day testing it is impossible to police, regardless of the curtain-twitchers apparently doing the reich thing. If the +13 day testing is introduced it will just create more expense, confusion and be just as unworkable because of it.