IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

12 minutes ago, quilp said:

If the +13 day testing is introduced it will just create more expense, confusion and be just as unworkable because of it.

We’re having to borrow £250 million at least because of economic impact of this. A few grand in test expenses is neither here nor there. In fact why are proportionately small costs like that an issue at all in relation to establishing a robust and appropriate response to a once in a lifetime pandemic situation? And what confusion currently exists? 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

21 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Ashford did perform better than Quayle (as did my neighbour’s spaniel) but yet again we see a politician picking up a gong for simply doing their job  - there was no ‘above and beyond’ aspect to what Ashford did. The guys that empty my wheelie bin turned up every week, were cheerful, efficient, friendly and polite. They did their job. Where are their MBEs?

Agree with you on the binmen bit, but David Ashford did rise to the challenge and, tbh, did perform above and beyond, because he actually got to grips with the science and understood the information he was fed.  Whether that deserves a gong is a matter of opinion,  not least your view of the awards system. But I always got the feeling that he was honest and informed.  A rare attribute for many of our MHKs. 

Let's face it, he assumed the DHSC mantle very shortly before and everyone was pretty derisory on his abilities, but he stepped up very quickly, and effectively.  How often during the daily briefings did HQ refer any tricky question to him? 

Anyone involved in the health service may have a different view, but at the height of this he was a steady, reassuring and informed voice.

Very pleased that a doctor also got an award.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Just to refer back to everyone's favourite place in the world, Jerseys testing costs are currently more than £5million.

So what? We’re borrowing £250 million. If £5 million is what it takes to have a robust response so be it. You can’t put a price on a robust response (unless you’re Quilp it would seem). But here we’re talking about potentially a couple of hundred extra tests at max which people are currently charged for anyway so it’s basically buttons. So really it’s hard to see why costs could be an issue at all. 

6 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Just pointing out your 'few grand' line is as usual bollocks. I personally don't have a problem with them spending the money. They seem to though. Weirdly for them.

What do you not get? People in the IOM pay for the 7 day test. They published the breakdown of that fee when they brought it in to show that it isn’t subsidized. So how can stopping testing at 7 days be about cost? People are (have been anyway) voluntarily paying £50 a go for a test. You mentioned Jersey costs which bear no relation to our costs as Jersey actually seems to want to test people to build a profile. We seem to be happy to test nobody so that no awkward questions are asked about our returning infection rate. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I don't get your inability to read or comprehend, or your constant desire to completely misrepresent every single thing you possibly can. Are you OK?

It would be better if you answered the question. Where’s the cost? IOM returnees pay to be tested. Well they did anyway. And our government published the cost breakdown to show it isn’t subsidized. So what cost savings will be evident by stopping testing people at 7 days? Actually it’s a net loss if £50 covers the test and we don’t want to keep charging people to take it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Just the headlines? Wonder how many behind the scenes CS will get gongs in the ongoing wake of this?

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

So you concede that removal of the 7 day test makes no difference to the number of people coming to the island with the virus?  The natural concomitant of that is that we will not know how many asymptomatic people are coming in. 

Dear me. I'm not "conceding" it because it's plain and simple commonsense!

If folks coming in are asymptomatic they do their fourteen days and then they're out and about. But being asymptomatic means they are much less likely to be able to spread the virus.

I would be interested in the numbers.

Do you have them?

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

Dear me. I'm not "conceding" it because it's plain and simple commonsense!

If folks coming in are asymptomatic they do their fourteen days and then they're out and about. But being asymptomatic means they are much less likely to be able to spread the virus.

I would be interested in the numbers.

Do you have them?

No,  and neither will we if this useful source of information is lost.

5 hours ago, Gladys said:

No,  and neither will we if this useful source of information is lost.

It’s a great point as we will be losing sight of how many people are infected coming to the island (and that should form part of the border phasing)

it would be a tough ask for people to volunteer though given how intrusive the tests are if the sample people are not symptomatic. 

There is also the risk of someone testing positive on day 13 where they will then have to self isolate from that point for another 2 weeks. If testing isn’t mandatory or because someone is symptomatic, I think they will have less people coming forward.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30444-6/fulltext

This article from the Lancet indicates the search and promising results on saliva testing and quicker turn around test results.

Test before travel or on the boat and results at the end of the journey. If positive, then compulsory isolation beckons.