IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

15 minutes ago, John Wright said:

There is an announcement on the boat at departure and arrival saying go direct to place of self isolation do not stop to buy fuel, food, booze; and if you do you May be prosecuted. Perhaps they ought to add “ and there’s a strong possibility you’ll go to prison”.

Of the 10 border crossings  in 8 Weeks only one went as advertised. IoM to UK on way out. No checks advertised. No checks made.

It’s about time they had announcements like that, nothing when I was on

19 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Rachel's busy tapping nails into her professional coffin questioning the wisdom of such Govt edicts....

...and I so wanted a long illustrious career at the DHSC :blink: 

I run my own company so my involvement with the DHSC to set up and keep the COVID19 lab running wasn't exactly in the professional career plan... Compared to DHSC employees and civil servants, I'm in the position where I don't need to worry about the mortgage payments if I get sacked for questioning things as I have my day-job at my company. So I question things. On the flip side of that I'm pretty sure there are a few in the DHSC and civil service who would love to see my head on a spike for daring to speak up.

20 hours ago, Banker said:

Who would want a test on day 13? All data lost from 7 day testing as Rachel Glover states so no support for removal from a lead advisor 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/minister-not-ruling-out-a-later-test-for-returning-residents/

OK. So first of all, I only suggested a day 13 test (in a tweet) to make a point about how we're effectively losing data that had become quite useful. It's useful to know how many people are coming back and then subsequently develop infections during their isolation. The day 7 test gave us that surveillance data and then it was effectively taken away without discussion. It would be great to keep up the pathogen surveillance by, say, randomly asking a proportion of returnees to take a test so we can continue to see what proportion of people in isolation develop COVID19. I said in the tweets that a day 7 test would detect ~94% cases, the figure for a day 14 test is ~99% cases. So even with "gold standard" there is the 1/100 risk that someone will still be infectious at the point they finish their isolation. 

13 hours ago, P.K. said:

Dear me. I'm not "conceding" it because it's plain and simple commonsense!

If folks coming in are asymptomatic they do their fourteen days and then they're out and about. But being asymptomatic means they are much less likely to be able to spread the virus.

I would be interested in the numbers.

Do you have them?

Asymptomatic people have just as high a viral load and potential to infect as symptomatic people. Anecdotally I would say they have a higher viral load. You have to think of them as "silent spreaders" as they're infected, highly infectious but don't know it. They develop their high viral load at the same time as symptomatic people (4-7 days after exposure) but don't show any symptoms. We (scientists) don't yet know why some people develop symptoms and others don't. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

6 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

An MHK should ask that question probably. But cost can’t be an issue to withdraw testing. It’s £50 a test so even if government are paying it you’d have to do 1,000 tests to burn £50k which is an insignificant sum anyway when we’re borrowing £250M to stay afloat. People seem to be scrabbling to find excuses when the reasons seem obvious - we don’t want awkward results frightening our incredibly fragile population. So we’ve decided not to test so we can keep our head in the sand. I don’t think it’s right at all. But as I said above I understand why their doing it with so many covid lunatics around crapping their pants about everything. 

They are not borrowing £250K to stay afloat. They are borrowing it because it is cheaper to borrow than realise that amount from selling assets.

As for stopping the testing, so what? From here you can only travel to five destinations. As four of those five are in Channel Islands red zones, if you live in Bankers  beloved Channel Islands, who from Monday will have to isolate for fourteen days anyway. No test on arrival required.

We don't have a traffic lights system, so on the grounds that four out of five places are high risk, simply withdraw the test. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, rachomics said:

On the flip side of that I'm pretty sure there are a few in the DHSC and civil service who would love to see my head on a spike for daring to speak up.

And that is one of the most damning indictments about the Civil Service you can find and why the majority of our issues in Government exist

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

An MHK should ask that question probably. But cost can’t be an issue to withdraw testing. It’s £50 a test so even if government are paying it you’d have to do 1,000 tests to burn £50k which is an insignificant sum anyway when we’re borrowing £250M to stay afloat. People seem to be scrabbling to find excuses when the reasons seem obvious - we don’t want awkward results frightening our incredibly fragile population. So we’ve decided not to test so we can keep our head in the sand. I don’t think it’s right at all. But as I said above I understand why their doing it with so many covid lunatics around crapping their pants about everything. 

We haven't borrowed £250m.  That has what has been supported at Tynwald if it is needed.

7 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

And that is one of the most damning indictments about the Civil Service you can find and why the majority of our issues in Government exist

>On the flip side of that I'm pretty sure there are a few in the DHSC and civil service who would love to see my head on a spike for daring to speak up.

I'm definitely getting the feeling that there are a few about who don't like having someone around who is civil service savvy (I spent 15 years at DEFRA in the UK) and who has been professionally trained by way of a scientific PhD to ask awkward questions to fish for the real answer. In the UK civil service they wouldn't feel so threatened as it's more normal. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, rachomics said:

I'm definitely getting the feeling that there are a few about who don't like having someone around who is civil service savvy (I spent 15 years at DEFRA in the UK) and who has been professionally trained by way of a scientific PhD to ask awkward questions to fish for the real answer. In the UK civil service they wouldn't feel so threatened as it's more normal. 

Well they won't like it here.  There are a number of high level civil servants who have got there via dead man's shoes and simply wont want questioning.

43 minutes ago, rachomics said:

We (scientists) don't yet know why some people develop symptoms and others don't. 

Useful information as ever, Rachel.

On the symptomatic/asymptomatic issue, I read about a week ago that some scientists were looking at the role of interferon, which is naturally produced and regulates the immune system.  If the production is faulty, too much or too little, the immune system either overreacts to the virus, or doesn't react at all.  At least that was my untutored understanding. 

Edited by Gladys

42 minutes ago, Cambon said:

They are not borrowing £250K to stay afloat. They are borrowing it because it is cheaper to borrow than realise that amount from selling assets.

As for stopping the testing, so what? From here you can only travel to five destinations. As four of those five are in Channel Islands red zones, if you live in Bankers  beloved Channel Islands, who from Monday will have to isolate for fourteen days anyway. No test on arrival required.

We don't have a traffic lights system, so on the grounds that four out of five places are high risk, simply withdraw the test. 

Read rachomics post about testing you twit!