IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

53 minutes ago, pongo said:

That makes sense. Provided the border entry points remain effectively closed.

Border opening will be considered when infection rates in adjacent islands are reduced to acceptable levels, this what Howie said and seemed a bit more open to some easing of restrictions when rates down. Suppose the main question is what are acceptable levels in adjacent Isles?

35 minutes ago, woolley said:

Does anyone trust anyone else's numbers?  You'd have to be very naive. Also, criteria vary from place to place so it's hard to get a meaningful comparison. 

On a trust scale, I trust countries with universal health care more than those with private - simply because many cases will never see a hospital where it's private or insurance based because it costs money. I trust developed western governments more than eastern ones. 

And I wouldn't believe China at all. 

• Like 1

Unless I misheard, Howie said that the border would be closed until a vaccine has been created. I can only assume that he misspoke and meant that if reopened there would be severe restrictions on entry and exit would be in place until such a time that a vaccine is developed. Pinning all our hopes on a vaccine that may never happen is a bit of a policy stretch. I am happy for it to remain closed until everything is normalised in the local economy, but I would hope to be able to travel relatively freely by the autumn, maybe winter.

2 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

Unless I misheard, Howie said that the border would be closed until a vaccine has been created. I can only assume that he misspoke and meant that if reopened there would be severe restrictions on entry and exit would be in place until such a time that a vaccine is developed. Pinning all our hopes on a vaccine that may never happen is a bit of a policy stretch. I am happy for it to remain closed until everything is normalised in the local economy, but I would hope to be able to travel relatively freely by the autumn, maybe winter.

What he said he didn't foresee unfettered access until vaccine but would consider easing when infection rates reduced to acceptable levels. Obviously borders can not stay shut indefinitely and he and everyone else in power has acknowledged this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Golfer said:

What he said he didn't foresee unfettered access until vaccine but would consider easing when infection rates reduced to acceptable levels. Obviously borders can not stay shut indefinitely and he and everyone else in power has acknowledged this.

They obviously can’t stay shut until a non existent vaccine is discovered. I’m not sure they all have acknowledged that unfettered access has to happen in quite quick order otherwise the economy is screwed. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I just popped to the Milestone for fuel. The car queue for the reopened McDonalds stretched from McD back down to City Plumbing. Probably the best use the Peel Rd cycle lane has ever had :lol:

7pm tonight...sad barstards were queuing nearly to the power station blocking the Pulrose Rd/Peel Rd junction.

Need no waiting signs at least 50m to the junction.

Embarrasing.

• Haha 2