IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

3 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Just an observation, the main areas that people are complaining about missing out on are the ancillary parts of life. By that I mean life style activities as opposed to the every day necessities. ie going out for meals, parties, frivolous shopping, sports, holidays and foreign travel etc. as opposed to basic shopping, home and family, home cooking, dwelling maintenance, gardening etc.

Now whilst I can see the enjoyable and social aspect of the ancillary parts of life they are not necessities and surely can be put on hold for a time?

Just musing.

Not quite.

The personal circumstances of some folks eg divorced with kids off island and can't afford the time off work + 2 weeks self isolation to go and see them.

Maybe island life is not for them...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

It's odd isn't it? You would think it would sink in how much damage they are doing. But they just keep going.

On the plus side this round of lock down nonsense will send enough large companies to the wall and the government will simply not be able to do any more lock downs.

Ahhh you're talking about the UK...

My personal opinion is that Sage, as promoted by Keir Starmer this afternoon, have got it right.

However the fact is that government financial support, two thirds of your wages, is a joke. A lot in hospitality are on either zero hours or minimum wage. But hell, they don't vote tory so fuck 'em a la Margaret Thatcher....

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Just an observation, the main areas that people are complaining about missing out on are the ancillary parts of life. By that I mean life style activities as opposed to the every day necessities. ie going out for meals, parties, frivolous shopping, sports, holidays and foreign travel etc. as opposed to basic shopping, home and family, home cooking, dwelling maintenance, gardening etc.

Now whilst I can see the enjoyable and social aspect of the ancillary parts of life they are not necessities and surely can be put on hold for a time?

Just musing.

They're necessities for the people who rely on them for income...

43 minutes ago, P.K. said:

No BAME mind.

Your point? 
Ethnicity is mentioned in the discussion of the paper as a limitation of the study, needing further research. If you’ll pardon the pun, the BAME effect on mortality is not as black and white as you may think. In the UK ethnicity is strongly linked with socio-economic class, which in itself is linked to obesity, diabetes etc. Talking to an Indian work colleague about it today, he doubts that there is much if any independent effect. This is on the basis of death rates back home (for him), which if racially determined you’d expect to be far worse in India than the UK. They’re not. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Your point? 
Ethnicity is mentioned in the discussion of the paper as a limitation of the study, needing further research. If you’ll pardon the pun, the BAME effect on mortality is not as black and white as you may think. In the UK ethnicity is strongly linked with socio-economic class, which in itself is linked to obesity, diabetes etc. Talking to an Indian work colleague about it today, he doubts that there is much if any independent effect. This is on the basis of death rates back home (for him), which if racially determined you’d expect to be far worse in India than the UK. They’re not. 

That pretty much echoes what I've read - the correlation with "class" or wealth is considerably stronger than any correlation with race.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HeliX said:

That pretty much echoes what I've read - the correlation with "class" or wealth is considerably stronger than any correlation with race.

In the UK I'm certain it's got a lot to do with poverty and multi-generational households as well.

But the fact remains that BAME folks, even those you would call well-to-do, suffer disproportionally.

4 minutes ago, P.K. said:

In the UK I'm certain it's got a lot to do with poverty and multi-generational households as well.

But the fact remains that BAME folks, even those you would call well-to-do, suffer disproportionally.

FFS give it a rest, you obviously haven’t got a clue and question everything that hasn’t been posted by you or said by Howie.

Just accept there are posters on here that know more than you and I don’t mean me!! You’re giving trolls a bad name 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, P.K. said:

So, you are happy with measures that proportionately affect more of those already under socio-economic stress?

Edited by Gladys