IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I'll have to pull you here.

Roger has just posted statistics that show that Sweden, a country which hasn't locked down (and caused all the enormous damage the UK lockdown has), registers less deaths per million than the UK.

Who's blind?

I was agreeing with Roger about TSOS’s post. I was not at all disagreeing with RM. 

Not good at quoting on the iPad, but thought it was clear want I meant.

• Confused 1

Just now, NoTail said:

Tonight there is a distinct air of panic in the UK. It looks like we are in for a very bumpy ride. If the IOM can keep the current system in place for a few more months that would be good.

It's all going to be fine in the end though. Always is.

1 minute ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Yes but Roger only reinforces Sultans point.  

I didnt understand who you were saying was blind.

I though5 RM’s post put TSOS’s post into perspective. TSoS seemed to make out that the ratio was far different.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I though5 RM’s post put TSOS’s post into perspective. TSoS seemed to make out that the ratio was far different.

As I assume you can read (speculative assumption I know) then it’s clear that I didn’t say that. Would you like me to put a link to my post in again so you can read it again like a grown up person who has a basic grasp of the English language?

Here you go

Edited by thesultanofsheight

3 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

As I assume you can read (speculative assumption I know) then it’s clear that I didn’t say that. Would you like me to put a link to my post in again so you can read it again like a grown up person who has a basic grasp of the English language?

Here you go

Wonderful stuff. Your parents must be proud. What do you gain. Someone way back when posted a song about a goldfish ( Billy Connelly I think). That went around  and around and around. Do you not see you posts in this thread particularly, doing the same ?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Wonderful stuff. Your parents must be proud. What do you gain. Someone way back when posted a song about a goldfish ( Billy Connelly I think). That went around  and around and around. Do you not see you posts in this thread particularly, doing the same ?

I used the confused emoji again. Please don't have a total meltdown. But honestly you appear to be talking total rubbish. What was the purpose of that post? It actually makes no sense at all. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

2 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I used the confused emoji again. Please don't have a total meltdown. But honestly you appear to be talking total rubbish. What was the purpose of that post? 

The purpose was to point out that you have said the same thing time and time after time .

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Sultan said that Sweden hadn't locked down (thereby avoiding a large chunk of the catastrophic financial mess unfolding in the uk) yet had a better death rate per million.  Which they do.

The point being as we head again for more financial destruction it isn't yielding better results than places like Sweden.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

That was my entire point. AND THEY DIDN'T LOCK DOWN. So really what is the difference and what is being achieved by the UK bankrupting people and throwing millions on the dole following a strategy that makes almost no difference to the outcome? 

But if you're so keen on Scandinavia perhaps we should look at the other countries there (who did various degrees of lockdown) and their death rates per million population:

Norway 51

Finland 63

Denmark  116

Sweden 584

One of these things is not like the others. 

The fact that the UK did so incompetently that it was slightly worse doesn't prove the Swedish policy was a good one, just that the UK was incompetent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

But if you're so keen on Scandinavia perhaps we should look at the other countries there (who did various degrees of lockdown) and their death rates per million population:

Norway 51

Finland 63

Denmark  116

Sweden 584

One of these things is not like the others. 

The fact that the UK did so incompetently that it was slightly worse doesn't prove the Swedish policy was a good one, just that the UK was incompetent.

I think that demographics and population density has a large bearing. It could be argued that given the UK’s densely populated cities it’s done pretty well with it’s lockdown strategy to match Sweden’s death rate. Or that Sweden, given it’s one major city and inbuilt natural advantage has done really badly to end up almost as bad as the UK.

I’m coming to the conclusion that Sweden were wrong in the first wave to not lockdown, and UK were right, but too late (a bit). For the second helping however the Swedish way is right. There is more testing now, and better treatment. My UK contacts tell me that covid patients that need ITU are doing better, with a reduced length of stay. Further lockdowns, in my opinion, will just delay what’s coming. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, wrighty said:

I'm going to have to have a proper look at that paper, which was uploaded as a pre-print (ie not peer reviewed) back in April.  Had its thesis been accepted it would have been published by now.  My gut reaction is that it's probably rubbish.  Having said that, I don't necessarily disagree with the rest of your post, but using that paper as evidence may not be the way to go.

This other paper is a much more comprehensive report as it looks at the evidence from 50 countries; and it has been published in The Lancet.

A country level analysis measuring the impact of government actions,
country preparedness and socioeconomic factors on COVID-19 mortality
and related health outcomes

https://www.thelancet.com/action/showPdf?pii=S2589-5370%2820%2930208-X

The conclusion is much the same.