IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

12 minutes ago, pongo said:

Self isolation should mean the whole household.

Rubbish

The next step should be proportionate to the risk.  Plenty of people share a bed with “cases” and never become a “case” themselves.

We can’t just all take half the year off work and have kids missing school for two weeks because Mum had to do a day trip to the UK, that’s madness.

• Like 1

Just now, trmpton said:

Rubbish

The next step should be proportionate to the risk.  Plenty of people share a bed with “cases” and never become a “case” themselves.

We can’t just all take half the year off work and have kids missing school for two weeks because Mum had to do a day trip to the UK, that’s madness.

Well, let's look at it in the following light:

In the run-up to lockdown, and during repatriation, it was drilled in not to take the piss. Most people returning were very glad to be, sticking to the rules as a result.

Borders re-opened in August for travel back and forth, when prevalence in the UK was low. Prevalence remained reasonably low, so the odds of Jimmy coming over and jumping in bed with wifey with the virus remained reasonably low. Realistically, most people didn't jump into bed with their beloved, because of the isolation.

Whilst there have been rumors and stories and the odd breach, it has all been at the time of relatively low prevalence in the UK. It's only with it rising again recently where we've started getting positive hits. At which point, people are again probably not jumping straight into bed, just in case.

Now prevalence is coming up, the risk is increasing. Though we don't know how much eithout testing, which is another issue, Howie doesn't like numbers going up, we have to assume that risk is increasing somewhat in proportion to how the virus is spreading in the UK.

Given the Manx government's hyper-cautious approach, it's not unreasonable to expect them to add something like that restriction.

1 minute ago, Banker said:

Why the fuck would someone pay for a private test when all you do is ring 111 with any symptoms and you get a test that day for free?

You need them to travel to quite a number of places. If it was somewhere like Zurich, they might well offer testing too. They did free antibody testing for staff a few months ago. It was in the news.

15 minutes ago, Banker said:

Guernsey cracking on with phase 5c so testing on arrival and reduced quarantine, bring that in here and a few on here will be having fits!!

https://guernseypress.com/news/2020/10/15/revised-phase-5c-plans-revealed/

wonder if Howie will have a plan today 😂

A plan with actual numbers & dates!

Wow ...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Yes that’s what I was referring to. It’s entirely possible to get tested if you want to. Just because government won’t let you doesn’t mean you can’t. At £160 it’s steep but it’s entirely possible and feasible. 

There are some countries that won't allow you in unless you have a certificate hence these private tests and why people may wish to get one. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Well, let's look at it in the following light:

In the run-up to lockdown, and during repatriation, it was drilled in not to take the piss. Most people returning were very glad to be, sticking to the rules as a result.

Borders re-opened in August for travel back and forth, when prevalence in the UK was low. Prevalence remained reasonably low, so the odds of Jimmy coming over and jumping in bed with wifey with the virus remained reasonably low. Realistically, most people didn't jump into bed with their beloved, because of the isolation.

Whilst there have been rumors and stories and the odd breach, it has all been at the time of relatively low prevalence in the UK. It's only with it rising again recently where we've started getting positive hits. At which point, people are again probably not jumping straight into bed, just in case.

Now prevalence is coming up, the risk is increasing. Though we don't know how much eithout testing, which is another issue, Howie doesn't like numbers going up, we have to assume that risk is increasing somewhat in proportion to how the virus is spreading in the UK.

Given the Manx government's hyper-cautious approach, it's not unreasonable to expect them to add something like that restriction.

In the summer was the prevalence low in the UK? In the run up to summer we were saying around 4/5k cases a day with 500-1000 deaths. We are now seeing close to 20,000 daily cases but deaths around 50/75. So that raises the question has it mutated into something less harmful or was it always out there in many more people but due to the lack of testing this wasn't picked up. I would say the latter

38 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Plenty of people share a bed with “cases” and never become a “case” themselves.

Is that true? I suppose it's vague enough that it could be true. Coronavirus' r0 isn't far off Norovirus r0, and I sure as shit (pun intended) wouldn't share a bed with the missus if she had noro...

9 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Is that true? I suppose it's vague enough that it could be true. Coronavirus' r0 isn't far off Norovirus r0, and I sure as shit (pun intended) wouldn't share a bed with the missus if she had noro...

But you would have known she had it, and so would she, so you could have made an informed decision.

That’s exactly the point.  The vast majority of people don’t even know they have it.

Of course it’s true.  People sleep with their partners the day before someone tests positive.  Loads of those people (most? I can’t be arsed googling it) will never produce a positive test themselves

Edited by trmpton

9 minutes ago, HeliX said:

I suppose with Norovorius you know they have it because they look like crap but with Covid you won't necessarily know they have it unless they have bad symptoms or have tested positive. If it is just someone who has come home and isolating due to the rules rather than definatley having it then you wouldn't know.