IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

3 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

However, the 7 day test removal is a sham designed to hide results.  I also think 7 days and a negstive test is enough to let people out and about unfettered.

I would also like to see a slight moderation to allow immediate family to visit.  Things like parents, children perhaps.

Even if it was for the wrong reason, getting rid of the seven day test was still the right thing to do in the current circumstances.  That test certainly isn't enough to let people out 'unfettered' even at the lower UK levels of infection we saw over the Summer - too high a percentage of people only test positive after 6 or so days for that to work. 

I recently post the figures from the ONS Infection Study and the figures for the most recent fortnight came out yesterday.  They're quite scary:

image.png.7cef4ee54cae0aae962e3772df00c0eb.png

These are not skewed by the number of tests done more generally. And those are end dates so there's another nine days of infection plus since

We certainly need more testing for a variety of reasons and I think WHO need to change their statistics so that the number testing positive in isolation after arrival is shown separately from cases actually in the community.

Except for the compassionate stuff which is already in place with appropriate restrictions (one hopes) it's difficult to see the purpose of family visits unless the visitors are able to self isolate for 14 days as part of an extended time spent here.  That might be justified in some circumstance, but effectively it's going to mean more elderly people moving over here - at least temporarily.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Add link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Even if it was for the wrong reason, getting rid of the seven day test was still the right thing to do in the current circumstances.  That test certainly isn't enough to let people out 'unfettered' even at the lower UK levels of infection we saw over the Summer - too high a percentage of people only test positive after 6 or so days for that to work. 

I recently post the figures from the ONS Infection Study and the figures for the most recent fortnight came out yesterday.  They're quite scary:

image.png.7cef4ee54cae0aae962e3772df00c0eb.png

These are not skewed by the number of tests done more generally. And those are end dates so there's another nine days of infection plus since

We certainly need more testing for a variety of reasons and I think WHO need to change their statistics so that the number testing positive in isolation after arrival is shown separately from cases actually in the community.

Except for the compassionate stuff which is already in place with appropriate restrictions (one hopes) it's difficult to see the purpose of family visits unless the visitors are able to self isolate for 14 days as part of an extended time spent here.  That might be justified in some circumstance, but effectively it's going to mean more elderly people moving over here - at least temporarily.

I'm not suggesting anyone should be moving over.

But a large number of people on island have children living away from the island.  Or parents.  Yes, they would need to isolate but at least that's an option.

I know a lot pf deluded "I'm alright Jack" types will say " well there is nothing stopping someone going across to see those relatives" but actually, for those not living in an ivory tower, real life tends to be a touch more complicated  .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thank god you are not in charge, an expert on everything and critic of all, the best you can do is quote a load of garbage from people who are just using Covid to make a name for themselves with no credibility at all.  I thought we had a superlative of experts on the promenade but these guys are just making it up as they go along and as for all the figures quoted I do not believe any of them from any source.   It all depends on who is doing the counting and the point they are trying to make.  For instance, a member went down when the illegal march was on and counted 737 people and a couple of dogs, marching, mostly students, Manx Radio reported 1000 and a couple of weeks ago the subject was mentioned and it was reported 1500 people marched, that shows the nonsense figures are. :spam:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

For instance, a member went down when the illegal march was on and counted 737 people and a couple of dogs, marching, mostly students, Manx Radio reported 1000 and a couple of weeks ago the subject was mentioned and it was reported 1500 people marched, that shows the nonsense figures are. :spam:

The March wasn’t illegal. 

• Confused 1

53 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

The Chief Minister left the decision to the Chief Constable.   If I am a bitter, miserable, moaning old git I certainly am not alone on this forum.

Yes, there was a definite two steps back on that one.  The CC not only allowed the march to go ahead, but positively supported and encouraged it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Yes, there was a definite two steps back on that one.  The CC not only allowed the march to go ahead, but positively supported and encouraged it.

If it had been a protest over public sector pensions & wages & government wastage the March would have been stopped fairly pronto with ring leaders straight to Jurby!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Then promptly came off Twitter because a load of old folk like Hissingsid constantly berated him for exercising discretion that he had to allow the event to go ahead. It wasn’t a banned event and neither were public gatherings banned and the groups of ten were advisory only at that time. The same people that moaned incessantly about that are largely the same people incessantly moaning about students returning at Christmas too. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1