IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

What makes you think there’ll be queues, anyway? They’ve not been re-introduced in England Tier 3, or in Scotland or Ireland, North or Republic 

Because I don't trust our government to make sensible steps in the event of new community transmission. They have repeatedly demonstrated that their responses, "for the benefit of all' are on the more extreme side of things. I could quite easily imagine sheer panic when/if it does happen and the negative effects from their response.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It's because the idea of allowing less restrictive travel for the trade off of social distancing and mask wearing in the run up to winter is not one I would personally advocate for. John has previously posted that he is lucky enough to actually get a delivery spot for his shopping. Tesco obviously is just an example, but it applies everywhere. To return to social distancing so that some people can go away is a backwards step in my opinion. Some people may prefer it.

We can have the Supermarkets give the vulnerable dedicated slots you know. It’s not difficult.

Staff are behind screens as it is.

You can have 8 - 10am as you’ll have shit the bed anyway through blind panic.

Fuck me.

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

But the argument isn't just about travel, it is about living with the virus, building herd immunity and not being physically cut off from the rest of the world. 

If you look at my post I was specifically referring to John's view in the quote, of allowing travel.

I said nothing about and was not referring to building herd immunity naturally which I personally think is junk science anyway.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Because I don't trust our government to make sensible steps in the event of new community transmission. They have repeatedly demonstrated that their responses, "for the benefit of all' are on the more extreme side of things. I could quite easily imagine sheer panic when/if it does happen and the negative effects from their response.

It was shop imposed last time. I can see a numbered ticket machine and queue in car in car park  if it’s required.

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It was shop imposed last time. I can see a numbered ticket machine and queue in car in car park  if it’s required.

It’s not difficult John, really it isn’t.

The challenge lies with care home & hospital staff.

They are the people who have to be extra careful & tested almost daily.

Couple these provisions with border testing +1 & +7 and I believe we can all start living again.

Edited by Nom de plume

5 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

you’ll have shit the bed anyway through blind panic.

Fuck me.

Yeah fuck you.

I have no idea why you think that is a reasonable thing to say to me. I think my posts are reasonable and thought out, not angry reactionary stuff. I've been pretty consistent that we must no go backwards, while at the same time not being in a rush to push on. Something I think has now been borne out by the evidence in the UK.

It is my contention that a return to social distancing, mask wearing ey al is a backwards step. I would rather have restrictions on the minority who choose (or indeed need) to travel at this time than the majority who do not.

So again, fuck you.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Nom de plume said:

It’s not difficult John, really it isn’t.

The challenge lies with care home & hospital staff.

They are the people who have to be extra careful & tested almost daily.

Couple these provisions with border testing +1 & +7 and I believe we can all start living again.

Fully agree, I’m not suggesting it’s difficult.

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

Yeah fuck you.

I have no idea why you think that is a reasonable thing to say to me. I think my posts are reasonable and thought out, not angry reactionary stuff. I've been pretty consistent that we must no go backwards, while at the same time not being in a rush to push on. Something I think has now been borne out by the evidence in the UK.

It is my contention that a return to social distancing, mask wearing ey al is a backwards step. I would rather have restrictions on the minority who choose (or indeed need) to travel at this time than the majority who do not.

So again, fuck you.

I apologise, really.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I said nothing about and was not referring to building herd immunity naturally which I personally think is junk science anyway.

Yes, but I referred to herd immunity as being another reason to open up a bit more. It is hard to tell what is and is not junk science, but I have seen several articles which are pointing to other active parts of the immune system (t and b cells) which may indicate herd immunity is a possible contender. 

The question you posed to John came across as very personal, like he is taking a 'let them eat cake' position which is a tad unfair. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Yes, I see what you mean. I was not trying to be rude.

I didn’t take offence, and certainly didn’t attribute the interpretation put on by @Gladysalthough I’m appreciative of her efforts on my behalf.

The thing is that most of us aren’t at the extremes of total border closure or that Covid is a hoax. 

Its finding the common ground that’s reasonable and offers sufficient public health protection, based on real risk assessment and science. It’s also keeping it up to date.

What happened in March, April, May was in the dark, with little scientific basis, because it was so new. The problem is that it didn’t protect one nursing/care home. Otherwise our figures would be very good. And it’s left Howie & Co, and Jacinta boxed in. The IOM still hasn’t got a proper exit strategy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5