IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Well it’s kind of a disease but a pretty nasty one that kills with no discrimination and you really do not want to catch it. On the other hand you can cower under the stairs or just carry on with life and hope fate is on your side. Of course fate is only on your side for so long. We should all be given our choice and not restricted by fear if we are happy to accept the risk. Those you disagree  you have under the stair.

1 hour ago, Wilson said:

Well it’s kind of a disease but a pretty nasty one that kills with no discrimination and you really do not want to catch it. On the other hand you can cower under the stairs or just carry on with life and hope fate is on your side. Of course fate is only on your side for so long. We should all be given our choice and not restricted by fear if we are happy to accept the risk. Those you disagree  you have under the stair.

It does discriminate, being far more likely to kill those who are older with pre-existing diseases. If you’re young and well the risks of being killed by it are minimal. I thought we all knew that. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NoTail said:

Hi Wrighty

This has been troubling me. It is unknown whether having antibodies provides immunity.  I could understand that in the first month or so, but we have a known base now of 6 million cases worldwide,  are we seeing cases of second or even third infection?  If not then the pointer must be indicating that once infected you have for the time being, a level of immunity. 

See the subsequent post. T-cell immunity might be at play here, with cross-reactivity to the 4 other coronaviruses that cause colds. 

Antibodies, if present, indicate past infection. That is fact. It is likely that they would offer immunity to subsequent infection, but that may not be total or permanent. As far as I’m aware there are no confirmed second or third hits. Those that were reported were probably persistent shedders of viral fragments who tested positive a month or so after recovery, because the swab test detects only viral RNA not intact, live virus. 

13 minutes ago, wrighty said:

It does discriminate, being far more likely to kill those who are older with pre-existing diseases. If you’re young and well the risks of being killed by it are minimal. I thought we all knew that. 

Pedant , set us free then. You know what I meant but picked one word . Typical know all .

We seem to be mirroring UK timetables or it looks like that to me . Despite being in a totally different place with the virus . UK is looking bad tbh particularly North West areas so that should delay any thoughts of borders being considered to open. Harsh but the right thing to do . 

New Zealand with a population of 5m has had no new cases for 16 days and they have decided to lift all restrictions including social distancing, all schools, bars etc open without any restrictions. Just external borders closed.

if NZ can do this with 5m , why can't we ? Someone asked Alisson this during update and he said something like the parents here are more scared than NZ ones so we have to go slowly!!

• Like 1