IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Golfer, Covid is still here in the community, as it is still in New Zealand. The longer we have no new community cases, the more likely it is that the virus is burning out. The problem is people travelling to uk and bringing it back. I think NZ has jumped the gun a bit here. Our steady approach is better. All being well, we should have virtually everything open by Tynwald day, except the borders.

Borders need to remain shut as the second wave will almost certainly start this week following the protests of the past few days. 

Surely if it was still here in the community, we'd be seeing positive tests.  Those with stealthy asymptomatic C19 would infect so many that some would surely become symptomatic and get tested. 

I would expect (and hope) that in a week or so if we still have zero cases, we'll be following NZ's lead.

2 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

Surely if it was still here in the community, we'd be seeing positive tests.  Those with stealthy asymptomatic C19 would infect so many that some would surely become symptomatic and get tested. 

I would expect (and hope) that in a week or so if we still have zero cases, we'll be following NZ's lead.

Asymptomatic cases don't infect at the same rate as symptomatic. If someone asked me to bet, I'd say there's probably a handful of cases here but no more.

In the UK they were worried about 2nd waves because of the NHS clapping in London, the VE Day Conga lines, the protests.

It doesn’t look like the 2nd wave is likely at all here, yes there is a risk of it by the very nature of Covid being such a contagious virus but with no active cases and any Asymptomatic people left being vary rare to pass it on.

Another 14 days time when we’re in the same position as now, everything should just be dropped with a focus on hand washing and vulnerable people taking extra steps to limit contact.

Thats assuming the march has a few hundred people who aren’t social distancing or taking measures to limit any potential exposure.

Edited by immortalpuppet

so where are we on unlockdown ?   its getting a bit confusing now ,  speed limit up to 60 on the 15th ?  what is the latest on gathering sizes increasing from 10  and antisocial distancing getting reduced to 1m ?   also people in your house ? and pubs / cafes etc opening ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WTF said:

so where are we on unlockdown ?   its getting a bit confusing now ,  speed limit up to 60 on the 15th ?  what is the latest on gathering sizes increasing from 10  and antisocial distancing getting reduced to 1m ?   also people in your house ? and pubs / cafes etc opening ?

Nobody knows any more they make it up as they go along. Everything seems to me next Monday 15th I think if your sensible you are fine just to go about your daily life

14 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

It’s like the schools minister yesterday saying they arnt sending all kids back because parents are worried.  

I’m a parent and I am not worried, but more importantly know one has asked me so my question with lots of these things is who are they talking to?

What he means is that the teachers are worried that they will have to work harder if more kids are in school with staggered hours! As I said if NZ with 5m can open everything without restrictions, why can't we with 88000 ?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Golfer said:

What he means is that the teachers are worried that they will have to work harder if more kids are in school with staggered hours! As I said if NZ with 5m can open everything without restrictions, why can't we with 88000 ?

I just think they are now at the point where nobody wants to be blamed for anything so they are scared

6 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

People are complaining about smaller class sizes? Isn't that what we should want? 

Yes ideally but the schools aren't big enough to split all the classes into smaller numbers so talking about kids getting maybe 2/3 days teaching and staggered hours, there is no need for this in IOM . WHO Now says no evidence that a symptomatic virus carriers with no symptoms don't spread the virus widely as previously thought.

5 minutes ago, Golfer said:

Yes ideally but the schools aren't big enough to split all the classes into smaller numbers so talking about kids getting maybe 2/3 days teaching and staggered hours, there is no need for this in IOM . WHO Now says no evidence that a symptomatic virus carriers with no symptoms don't spread the virus widely as previously thought.

Don’t let your science get in the way of manx solutions for manx people

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, HeliX said:

Asymptomatic cases don't infect at the same rate as symptomatic. If someone asked me to bet, I'd say there's probably a handful of cases here but no more.

This might be right. However, because the IOM Government has been testing at such a low rate, and failing to test the people identified through contact tracing, it's difficult to know.

• Like 1