IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

23 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I hate to say it but I had a horrible feeling that this would bite King Howard in the ass...

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=58577&headline=Travel boss's concerns over air bridge&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2020

Would it not be possible to require those coming here, or returning here, from Guernsey to self isolate? The same as if they were coming / returning from the UK?

22 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I hate to say it but I had a horrible feeling that this would bite King Howard in the ass...

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=58577&headline=Travel boss's concerns over air bridge&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2020

Well. Let’s hope Howie doesn’t take his expert epidemiological advice from travel agents.

First, the prevalence is about 5 per 100,000, 1 per 20,000. Way below levels at which all our border controls would have been dismantled.

Second, the detected live cases aren’t out in the community any more. They’re self isolating.

Third, GSY has an efficient working track & trace.

Yes, there’s a risk, but I’d never had you down as a Karen, Max.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

Well. Let’s hope Howie doesn’t take his expert epidemiological advice from travel agents.

First, the prevalence is about 5 per 100,000, 1 per 20,000. Way below levels at which all our border controls would have been dismantled.

Second, the detected live cases aren’t out in the community any more. They’re self isolating.

Third, GSY has an efficient working track & trace.

Yes, there’s a risk, but I’d never had you down as a Karen, Max.

Not really a Karen John, I think I meant more that no matter what you do, something will end up going wrong in these circumstances and people will be quick to condemn you.  I should have worded it better :) but I did somehow think that if we have a lot of locals there when the balloon goes up, either way, it would lead to panic and distress ;)   

7 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Not really a Karen John, I think I meant more that no matter what you do, something will end up going wrong in these circumstances and people will be quick to condemn you.  I should have worded it better :) but I did somehow think that if we have a lot of locals there when the balloon goes up, either way, it would lead to panic and distress ;)   

To be fair people would need to get a grip really. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Max Power said:

That’s almost the opposite of what you posted. How big are the planes. How many are coming from or going to Guernsey ( and returning ) over the half term break. I think it’s 5 return flights. 350 people each way. 

We have to be rational.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Agreed. As with most people, I want the borders back to normal, not just here but world wide. The only way out of this is herd immunity (whether by spreading or vaccine). However, just letting it run rampant as sultan wants, will swamp health services and many people will die. Not of Covid but heart attacks, strokes, and the many other issues that require hospitalisation. Slow and steady spread of the virus, as we have now, is the way to go. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, piebaps said:

If of course that any evidence emerges that "herd immunity" is actually a thing.

Sorry, what?  You don't 'believe' in herd immunity?  The thing with science is, that it doesn't really care about your beliefs, it relies upon facts and evidence. 

• Haha 1

Dr Allinson MHK just said that our children didn't ask for this pandemic. Which is actually true.

But when I was at school I was praying for something like this every single day

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6