IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

38 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Sorry, what?  You don't 'believe' in herd immunity?  The thing with science is, that it doesn't really care about your beliefs, it relies upon facts and evidence. 

I take my advice from facts and evidence. here's what the WHO say

"Until we better understand COVID-19 immunity, it will not be possible to know how much of a population is immune and how long that immunity last for, let alone make future predictions. These challenges should preclude any plans that try to increase immunity within a population by allowing people to get infected"

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/herd-immunity-lockdowns-and-covid-19

36 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Sorry, what?  You don't 'believe' in herd immunity?  The thing with science is, that it doesn't really care about your beliefs, it relies upon facts and evidence. 

It depends what the person spouting about herd immunity thinks it means. You simply aren't going to get it without a vaccine. Thinking that if enough people catch it, it will go away is idiotic and has never happened with any other virus. Even with a vaccine, the list of eradicated virus' is extremely short. 

• Like 1

So it’s confirmed Guernsey thought they were “COVID free” but actually they were at least 7 people wandering around with it.  Chances of it being only seven are beyond slim.

Did they find out because people were dropping like flies? Nope, they only found out because someone was confident enough they didn’t have it that they voluntarily went for a test to allow them to travel.

Anyone who genuinely believes there aren’t active “cases” as in people who would provide a positive test today if tested, is living in cloud cuckoo land.

I notice even Howard is now saying “reasonably confident” in relation to us being COVID free.

I have said a few times if we tested everyone there would undoubtedly be positive results and now believe that even more than before.

• Like 2

Just now, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

What's the obsession with being Covid free then?

Don’t ask me.  I think it’s a load of dogs dangly bits!  I would rather people be realistic, up the social distancing and allow more flexibility on borders with more testing.

Living in this bubble isn’t sustainable and unfortunately I think when it pops it will pop spectacularly and there will be mass panic.  Calls for complete lockdown will be massive, because as a community we seem to have become obsessed with keeping the virus out at all costs which unfortunately just isn’t how the works is going to work from now on

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Feelslike said:

It depends what the person spouting about herd immunity thinks it means. You simply aren't going to get it without a vaccine. Thinking that if enough people catch it, it will go away is idiotic and has never happened with any other virus. Even with a vaccine, the list of eradicated virus' is extremely short. 

I think it means a level of immunity such that R<=1.  It doesn’t mean eradication of the virus completely. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Hah Hah! Well done Paul Moulton for picking up on the Chief Minister coughing and spluttering into his hand.

Howard is not leading by example.

Like the MHK in House of Keys who was fingering his nose followed by a sweep of his face, followed by a lick of his fingers to turn his pages.

Good point, good question and a laugh to see the Chief Minister rattled. You'll never get that £200,000 like Manx Radio did, by asking questions like that.

38 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Hah Hah! Well done Paul Moulton for picking up on the Chief Minister coughing and spluttering into his hand.

Howard is not leading by example.

Like the MHK in House of Keys who was fingering his nose followed by a sweep of his face, followed by a lick of his fingers to turn his pages.

Good point, good question and a laugh to see the Chief Minister rattled. You'll never get that £200,000 like Manx Radio did, by asking questions like that.

You sound obsessed on several levels.

Edited by The Dog's Dangly Bits
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

To be fair it was a good point.

Quayle has already had Covid-19. His Health Minister is off sick and he has self-confessed man flu. And there he is spluttering and coughing into his hand.

Like he was at the start of all this.

Someone has to set an example. Oh, and Allinson has lost credibility as far as that is concerned, when he poo-poo'd wearing masks at the start of all this.

Edited by Barlow

27 minutes ago, Feelslike said:

Well, of the tens of millions of recovered cases, there have been very, very few cases of reinfection. This means, once you have had it there is virtually no chance of catching the exact same virus again. Mutations aside, the virus needs hosts. The fewer potential hosts, the less it can spread and it will die out. 

Interesting how the way it was reported made it sound like Guernsey suspended the air bridge, where in reality it was Howard! 

35 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I don't remember the wearing of masks as being poo-poo'd, he said early on the guidance was unclear, that it most likely prevented you infecting others and, if it made you feel better, wear one. 

In the early days a girl working amongst the public in a busy shop was wearing a mask (this was before masks became a 'thing') and asked the maskless Doctor Allinson if she was doing the right thing. To reply "if it makes you feel better", as he did, is about as crass and put-down a reply she could have received.

Dr Allinson seemed to enjoy relating his escapade on the Mannin Line.

It is worth noting that one of Dr Allinson's close work pals (Howard Quayle no less) was at the time about to go down with the virus. Maybe Allinson is a spreader and himself should have been wearing a mask under the circumstances.

I would suggest he made the girl in the shop feel stupid (ok, albeit unwittingly) but he had little to say in support of masks. OK the jury is still out on that one, but I would have preferred that rather than make himself look uber smug, which he has a natural tendency to do, he could have used his position and qualification to say something like:

"Masks may well be useful but only if they are worn and used properly. And then explain the proper use and searing of masks"

But no . . he as good as poo-poo'd the wearing of masks. At that time.

1 hour ago, Feelslike said:

Herd Immunity is a misleading description. There is no immunity in herd immunity. All it means is that if lots of people have had it (if indeed immunity lasts) then it makes the spread more difficult as it can't jump as easy between people as there are less spreaders available.

Undoubtedly there will be some herd 'immunity' (maybe call it 'effect') being developed in the UK as more and more people get it, which is better for us who will have none at all. 

5 minutes ago, Barlow said:

In the early days a girl working amongst the public in a busy shop was wearing a mask (this was before masks became a 'thing') and asked the maskless Doctor Allinson if she was doing the right thing. To reply "if it makes you feel better", as he did, is about as crass and put-down a reply she could have received.

Dr Allinson seemed to enjoy relating his escapade on the Mannin Line.

It is worth noting that one of Dr Allinson's close work pals (Howard Quayle no less) was at the time about to go down with the virus. Maybe Allinson is a spreader and himself should have been wearing a mask under the circumstances.

I would suggest he made the girl in the shop feel stupid (ok, albeit unwittingly) but he had little to say in support of masks. OK the jury is still out on that one, but I would have preferred that rather than make himself look uber smug, which he has a natural tendency to do, he could have used his position and qualification to say something like:

"Masks may well be useful but only if they are worn and used properly. And then explain the proper use and searing of masks"

But no . . he as good as poo-poo'd the wearing of masks. At that time.

Mot masks are not used correctly and as such are worse than a waste of time, all they do is create more waste, litter and pollution ffs.