IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

Why does no journalist ask what the long term plan is? Surely I'm not the only one wondering how we exit this?

It would surely be simplistic to make a "long term plan" at this point whilst the situation is still evolving. I'd be worried if it wasn't, instead, the strategy and data which was driving decision making.

It can surely only be a whole bunch of what-ifs and possible scenarios.

Unless we give in to the nihilists.

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Are you confusing positive tests for cases?  

If you test positive you've got a case of it and can lethally infect someone else. Irrespective of the Dr Mickey Mouse petitions and propaganda funded by loony bin think tanks and special interests.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, trmpton said:
4 hours ago, Cambon said:

It is not really a few though, is it? It is getting on for half the population. It is not just the elderly, it is the infirm, the fat, the poor (to some degree), and many others. It really is not the few. 

It is a few.  I don’t quite get your point about the poor.

It's not a few, Cambon is quite right.  According to this from the pharmacists, at least 26 million people in England have at least one long-term condition (LTC).  It seems to date from around 2014, when the population of England was 54 million, so that is just under half (48%).

It's almost certainly an underestimate because while all long-term conditions will be pre-existing there will also be shorter-term conditions that would qualify as well.

12 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's not a few, Cambon is quite right.  According to this from the pharmacists, at least 26 million people in England have at least one long-term condition (LTC).  It seems to date from around 2014, when the population of England was 54 million, so that is just under half (48%).

It's almost certainly an underestimate because while all long-term conditions will be pre-existing there will also be shorter-term conditions that would qualify as well.

On that basis I am at risk on three separate counts.

I still think we should open the borders and just get on with life.

If I die I die and would likely be dead anyway.  At least other people could live a normal life

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, pongo said:

If you test positive you've got a case of it and can lethally infect someone else. Irrespective of the Dr Mickey Mouse petitions and propaganda funded by loony bin think tanks and special interests.

Well, some medical opinion disagree - a case is someone suffering from symptoms.  This is, IMHO, quite important although the BBC link above indicates that, unusually,  this virus is infectious before symptoms appear. 

My argument throughout this has been clear and accurate information, but that has been sadly missing. 

• Like 1

I rather think that clear and particularly accurate information is almost mythical because of the lack of understanding about this disease by the, 'experts'. No one seems to actually be aware of it's origins, potential longevity or it's make up, unless it is man made and the creator is not releasing information.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

I rather think that clear and particularly accurate information is almost mythical because of the lack of understanding about this disease by the, 'experts'. No one seems to actually be aware of it's origins, potential longevity or it's make up, unless it is man made and the creator is not releasing information.

I don't like conspiracy theories but I wonder how China,  where this all started has hardly suffered. 

• Like 1

To give a definitive answer as to the way forward would be a question only Mystic Meg could answer, and she was not always right either especially with the lottery numbers :ph34r: it is the unknown aspect that is the frightening part,  so many experts with so many different ideas and as for the figures ......the band played believe it if you like....I think the Government have got it right just keeping an eye on the surrounding Islands and keeping our Island safe, we are doing ok everyone seems busy enough, hoteliers moaning as per but in normal times only a few big ones would be open at this time of year.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

To give a definitive answer as to the way forward would be a question only Mystic Meg could answer, and she was not always right either especially with the lottery numbers :ph34r: it is the unknown aspect that is the frightening part,  so many experts with so many different ideas and as for the figures ......the band played believe it if you like....I think the Government have got it right just keeping an eye on the surrounding Islands and keeping our Island safe, we are doing ok everyone seems busy enough, hoteliers moaning as per but in normal times only a few big ones would be open at this time of year.

How many hotels in Onchan?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Tough lockdowns when needed.  Immense testing (they did a whole city the other day) and a communist government 

There's some truth in that but I'd add one other thing, which is prior experience.  They'd had the relatively recent experience with the related virus SARS and had managed to stop that, so they knew what worked and moved quickly to implement pre-existing plans.

• Like 1

Predictable response from the current administration really. It seems that only nil risk is acceptable so that means we stay at level 4 until either COVID disappears ( very unlikely ) or an effective vaccine is available ( who knows how likely that is ) . So that means no exit strategy in effect so closed borders for the foreseeable future. How long can Gov pay hotels to stay afloat with no customers ? What will tax receipts be like as incomes are being adversely affected in the private sector where most wealth is created.  I would be surprised if the current administration move from level 4 before the next election. Could be interesting. People will leave , but they will be the young and/or economically active including the much hyped key workers quite a few of whom are mobile and less tied to the Island. So what platform will get the next batch elected? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

That is BS of the highest order.

If we are so concerned about fat people why are we not protecting them from themselves and their over eating? Heart disease anyone?

It really is the few.

You do live in a bubble, don't you! Have you not heard of sugar tax, etc to try to combat diabetes, obesity, etc? 

It really is NOT the few!!!!!!