IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

5 minutes ago, Josem said:

This might be right. However, because the IOM Government has been testing at such a low rate, and failing to test the people identified through contact tracing, it's difficult to know.

Says who? Testing has been offered to all health care workers, teachers etc but not many want it and as far as I know close contacts of positive people have been tested.

you can't just test random residents for no reason as the next week if they then show symptoms the test has been wasted.

A guy I follow on Strava spent a couple of weeks in Europe at the end of May. First thing he did when he got back to the iom on 3rd June was go for a run along the prom. It’s ok though cos he’s got one of those essential jobs so he can’t spread viruses.

Edited by Mr. Sausages

13 hours ago, HeliX said:

Asymptomatic cases don't infect at the same rate as symptomatic. If someone asked me to bet, I'd say there's probably a handful of cases here but no more.

But people infected by asymptomatic cases don't all become asymptomatic themselves. If you were to win your bet you would have to see positive test results on a regular basis as these asymptomatic types unwittingly infect others. They may or may not be less infectious, but they are far more likely to spread it through being unaware of their own contagious state.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, madmanxpilot said:

But people infected by asymptomatic cases don't all become asymptomatic themselves. If you were to win your bet you would have to see positive test results on a regular basis as these asymptomatic types unwittingly infect others. They may or may not be less infectious, but they are far more likely to spread it through being unaware of their own contagious state.

Yes they wouldn't be aware of their contagion, but they also won't cough/sneeze/etc. If they're adhering to social distancing they're pretty unlikely to spread it.

If we had any significant number of asymptomatic cases, we'd be seeing symptomatic cases. Not to mention that asymptomatics are thought to make up a much smaller percentage than previously believed (20-40% or so last I saw), so we'd be likely to have a smaller number than thought anyway given our small number of infected in the first place!

37 minutes ago, Mr. Sausages said:

A guy I follow on Strava spent a couple of weeks in Europe at the end of May. First thing he did when he got back to the iom on 3rd June was go for a run along the prom. It’s ok though cos he’s got one of those essential jobs so he can’t spread viruses.

If this is correct he should be reported as anyone else who returns to the Island has to quarantine for 2 weeks whether or not he is a high flyer makes no difference. That is why all the RRs kicked off as there were double standards for them and the key workers. Fucking disgrace if you ask me and We had to quarantine for a fortnight which I had no problem with as long as everyone done the same.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

If this is correct he should be reported as anyone else who returns to the Island has to quarantine for 2 weeks whether or not he is a high flyer makes no difference. That is why all the RRs kicked off as there were double standards for them and the key workers. Fucking disgrace if you ask me and We had to quarantine for a fortnight which I had no problem with as long as everyone done the same.  

It’s part of the course. As well as being demonised by IOMG as a RR, unless you are a key worker, then the rules are different. 
#Isle of Man where you can#

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Golfer said:

Says who? Testing has been offered to all health care workers, teachers etc but not many want it and as far as I know close contacts of positive people have been tested.

you can't just test random residents for no reason as the next week if they then show symptoms the test has been wasted.

The Government has outlined its testing policy throughout this pandemic in their daily briefings.

I don't think that testing anyone is a waste - because if you identify someone who has it, then you can immediately ask that they quarantine and stop the spread of the disease. You can then also test their recent contacts, and stop the spread of the disease. That's the whole point of the test/trace/isolate strategy that many successful countries have taken. If we had taken such a strategy, we probably could have stopped the disease sooner and been more confident that IOM was actually virus-free.

1 hour ago, Beelzebub3 said:

This will cheer you up or make you Mad as Hell, as reported in the Nations Propoganda Mouthpiece-

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/three-residual-positive-cases-pose-no-risk-to-public-says-health-minister/

It’s either zero or it’s 3, can only see Minister Ashford in bullshit mode. It’s the likes of the key workers etc that’s riling up he population and making life unbearable. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2112 said:

This will cheer you up or make you Mad as Hell, as reported in the Nations Propoganda Mouthpiece-

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/three-residual-positive-cases-pose-no-risk-to-public-says-health-minister/

It’s either zero or it’s 3, can only see Minister Ashford in bullshit mode. It’s the likes of the key workers etc that’s riling up he population and making life unbearable. 

But it's no problem as they are key workers, nothing to see here move along!

8 minutes ago, 2112 said:

What's the problem? As the Minister says, viral shedding does not mean infectious viral shedding. Whether viruses are viable or not they show up on tests.

The PCR test is only testing for a fragment of viral RNA specific to the virus.  It doesn't tell if there's a complete viral sequence there, let alone intact viral particles.  It's likely that fragments of viral RNA will be present in dead respiratory/mucosal epithelial cells (lung 'dust', if you like) of people previously infected with covid for a long time after they've cleared the active virus. 

The daily announcements detail new positive cases only, of which there haven't been any tested since 3 weeks ago today.  The active cases number is simply those who are within 14 days of their positive test, as that is the average upper limit figure for still being infectious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Josem said:

The Government has outlined its testing policy throughout this pandemic in their daily briefings.

I don't think that testing anyone is a waste - because if you identify someone who has it, then you can immediately ask that they quarantine and stop the spread of the disease. You can then also test their recent contacts, and stop the spread of the disease. That's the whole point of the test/trace/isolate strategy that many successful countries have taken. If we had taken such a strategy, we probably could have stopped the disease sooner and been more confident that IOM was actually virus-free.

What's the point in testing everyone who has no symptoms? You get a negative test and then next week they may have it ! Totally stupid suggestion and we can be as confident as anywhere that we are virus free after 3 weeks of no positive cases.

2 hours ago, Josem said:

This might be right. However, because the IOM Government has been testing at such a low rate, and failing to test the people identified through contact tracing, it's difficult to know.

That’s just fake news. Testing rate is 63 per 1000 population.

compare.n

B8C916B1-DF44-4196-B35B-6723170B513A.png

21 minutes ago, John Wright said:

That’s just fake news. Testing rate is 63 per 1000 population.

compare.n

You can view the number of tests conducted here: https://covid19.gov.im/about-coronavirus/open-data-downloads/

The on island testing facility has a capacity of up to 200* tests per day, and was opened on 20 April.

Since that opening, it has been running at around 28% of its advertised capacity. On only two days since opening has the facility even used more than half of its claimed capacity.

That's what I mean by "testing at such a low rate".

We don't know how many people have the disease on the island without symptoms. We do not know because the on-island testing facility has been used at such a low rate.

*one IOM Today article reported it could expand to 400/day if needed