IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

6 hours ago, Utah 01 said:

A perfectly reasonable response to a reasonable question.  Poo-pooing is really a figment of your imagination.

If you want to wear a mask feel free to do so - while that freedom still exists.

No. 

We need some leadership, intelligence and most of all direction. 

Where was The Honourable Dr, professional man that he is,  offering support and advice about the efficacy or otherwise of facemasks.

He just offered "if it makes you feel better wear one".

1 hour ago, trmpton said:

Tough lockdowns when needed.  Immense testing (they did a whole city the other day) and a communist government 

It’s not a communist government it’s a repressive totalitarian government.

Edited by Uhtred
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

Why does no journalist ask what the long term plan is? Surely I'm not the only one wondering how we exit this?

Probably because there cannot be a long term plan. However, the way this thing is playing out seems similar to the Spanish flu, with similar timings, as predicted early this year. Look forward to your two week get away in 2022! 

6 minutes ago, Barlow said:

No. 

We need some leadership, intelligence and most of all direction. 

Where was The Honourable Dr, professional man that he is,  offering support and advice about the efficacy or otherwise of facemasks.

He just offered "if it makes you feel better wear one".

No, he didn't.  He explained the advice at the time - see my post above.  What was he supposed to say?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoTail said:

I don't like conspiracy theories but I wonder how China,  where this all started has hardly suffered. 

Simple. Even whether the virus exists, or not, countries around the world are going in to debt. Who do you think they are borrowing from, apart from Russia? 

1 hour ago, NoTail said:

I don't like conspiracy theories but I wonder how China,  where this all started has hardly suffered. 

Probably because 'hardly suffered' is a relative term and do we really know how this has affected the general populace in China?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Gladys said:

No, he didn't.  He explained the advice at the time - see my post above.  What was he supposed to say?

The advice at the time was just more-or-less mirroring whatever UK did (surprise, surprise). Which was something like: "Christ! who knows????"

Rightly or wrongly (you choose) . . . within a few weeks it all went "masks, masks, masks....."

What was he supposed to say? I dunno, how about for example, 

As a medical professional I can say masks have a clear use and effectiveness. They are used in the health industry and hospitals in such and such situation...however they must be worn properly and used properly otherwise they can be worse than useless. etc. etc

Furthermore...

Maybe him, or a an underling could have given to the nation a demonstration of how to use a mask, when to use one, when not to use one, how often they should be cleaned, reused etc.

What types of mask and or filter to use and how to maintain. etc

etc

etc

To say on The National Broadcaster "If it makes you feel better, wear one" is Boris Johnsonese

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Quote from USA Today website:

Researchers from the University of Washington's School of Medicine predicted that current state strategies surrounding social distancing, phased reopenings and mask mandates could lead to 511,373 deaths by Feb. 28, 2021, according to a study published Friday in the peer-reviewed journal Nature Medicine.

However, scientists also predicted nearly 130,000 lives could be saved from the end of September through the end of February if at least 95% of the population wore masks in public. If only 85% wore masks, still nearly 96,000 deaths could be prevented.

They seem convinced of the effectiveness over the pond.

The poo hooing of mask wearing back in Feb/;Mar waas to protect the NHS from being short of such protection is now generally accepted as the reason to not recommend such.

Wearing of such could have protected some from infection, some that have would not entered the serious covid situations.

It has been a  developing situation, supported by the WHO, UK NHS and our own NHS to discard the wearing of masks which has now been recognised as having value of this to the wider community.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Barlow said:

The advice at the time was just more-or-less mirroring whatever UK did (surprise, surprise). Which was something like: "Christ! who knows????"

Rightly or wrongly (you choose) . . . within a few weeks it all went "masks, masks, masks....."

What was he supposed to say? I dunno, how about for example, 

As a medical professional I can say masks have a clear use and effectiveness. They are used in the health industry and hospitals in such and such situation...however they must be worn properly and used properly otherwise they can be worse than useless. etc. etc

Furthermore...

Maybe him, or a an underling could have given to the nation a demonstration of how to use a mask, when to use one, when not to use one, how often they should be cleaned, reused etc.

What types of mask and or filter to use and how to maintain. etc

etc

etc

To say on The National Broadcaster "If it makes you feel better, wear one" is Boris Johnsonese

But at the time, masks were not mandatory.  I really don't see what your issue is; at the time advice from WHO etc. was that masks need not be worn, other than in a clinical setting. Lots of people started wearing them, badly.

At the time, his advice was probably correct.

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

You do live in a bubble, don't you! Have you not heard of sugar tax, etc to try to combat diabetes, obesity, etc? 

It really is NOT the few!!!!!! 

Sugar tax has had literally zero to no effect. It's just a way to tax addicts.

It's definitely the few as far as real covid risks are concerned.

• Like 1