IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

36 minutes ago, John Wright said:

May be they’ll make self isolating quarantine as long as the word actually means.

( quarantine is mediaeval Venetian for 40 ). You got sent to an isolation island for 40 days if it was thought you’d got bubonic plague.

Were you just watching Italy’s Invisible Cities?

1 minute ago, The Old Git said:

Were you just watching Italy’s Invisible Cities?

Guilty. Although I was aware of the etymology.

Ive  seen it before.

Thought it was a bit disrespectful of AA to go into the scuola/schul tedeso without a yarmulke.

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Really? All I'm asking for is a few extra months till the vaccine is released and so the economy can stay wide open.

You not been watching the news across and seeing things actually being shut down and jobs lost?

What, the vaccine that at best is likely to be only 50% effective?

The shut down and job losses arise from the response to the virus, not the virus itself. 

I won't go over the arguments that cover 580 + pages, but we really need to face up to living with the virus, not "eradicating " it.  It isn't  going to disappear, so it may be better to deal with it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gladys said:

What, the vaccine that at best is likely to be only 50% effective?

The shut down and job losses arise from the response to the virus, not the virus itself. 

I won't go over the arguments that cover 580 + pages, but we really need to face up to living with the virus, not "eradicating " it.  It isn't  going to disappear, so it may be better to deal with it. 

Stop listening to those that think the Lizard People are controlling this eh?

Meds will surpringly save the day in 4 months...I believe that.

Those that don't take them...old or young....well, that's their lookout. And we'll have to deal with the consequences of that.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Stop listening to those that think the Lizard People are controlling this eh?

Meds will surpringly save the day in 4 months...I believe that.

Those that don't take them...old or young....well, that's their lookout. And we'll have to deal with the consequences of that.

Four months?

Good luck with that.  You think we will have a workable and viable vaccine ready to roll out by Easter (I am being generous and giving you a few more weeks)

I do not listen to the lizard people, or believe this is all a conspiracy. 

But, I do believe:-

1. This has come as shock to people who believe we can control nature. 

2. That, in order to ensure compliance in the early days, fear was a massive tool which is very hard to now turn off. 

3. There has to be a trade off between health and poverty, because the health impact of poverty will catch us up with devastating results.

4. There needs to be a more sophisticated response and people need to start considering and managing their own risk - leaving it to government is a slippery slope to a dangerously paternalism society. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Four months?

Good luck with that.  You think we will have a workable and viable vaccine ready to roll out by Easter (I am being generous and giving you a few more weeks)

I know people working on this stuff first hand...they need another 4 months to double check any side affects...and get that down to a guaranteed low acceptable percentage and be sure it stays there.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

May be they’ll make self isolating quarantine as long as the word actually means.

( quarantine is mediaeval Venetian for 40 ). You got sent to an isolation island for 40 days if it was thought you’d got bubonic plague.

Did I hear right on Manx Radio at just before lunchtime 2pm news (heard it by accident when re tuning car radio) one of the presenters suggested that for hop tu nay that houses containing people in isolation should pin a notice to that effect on their door, and even suggested that should happen irrespective of hop tu nay. And this is the state radio. Unbelievable. 

2 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I know people working on this stuff first hand...they need another 4 months to double check any side affects...and get that down to a guaranteed low acceptable percentage and be sure it stays there.

Doesn’t answer the question though.

Do you really think this will be sorted by medicine in about 16 weeks? 

Don’t forget we have bank holidays between now and then that might delay things.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Doesn’t answer the question though.

Do you really think this will be sorted by medicine in about 16 weeks? 

Don’t forget we have bank holidays between now and then that might delay things.

You know that these vaccines are sat on shelves and in warehouses at the moment, right? The trials are progressing at a rate of knots. The Oxford one was already part approved which helped it get along so quickly. It's a chimp virus with the COVID spike protein added. They'd already tested that approach for other virus spikes within that, helping move things along safety trials etc.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

You know that these vaccines are sat on shelves and in warehouses at the moment, right? The trials are progressing at a rate of knots. The Oxford one was already part approved which helped it get along so quickly. It's a chimp virus with the COVID spike protein added. They'd already tested that approach for other virus spikes within that, helping move things along safety trials etc.

Chimp virus eh. So only a few years before we have Charlton Heston shaking his fist at the Statue of Liberty then.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Gladys said:

Thank you BM, beyond the current "inconveniences", there is a real threat to society, individual freedoms and our acceptance of the replacement of democracy with state paternalism.  

That all seems more than a little melodramatic.

8 hours ago, trmpton said:

Most of my regular contacts are becoming seriously annoyed that loved ones can’t come and visit

Most people I know support the government response. Actually - I haven't spoken to a single person who doesn't.

There is nothing to stop you going away to see your family.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1