IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

We can’t isolate forever. It is damaging to our economy, and the longer we stay locked up the worse it becomes. We aren’t a sealed economy. We aren’t internally self sufficient. Lots of our money gets sent off Island, to but capital goods, food, internet purchases. Something has  got to come in in return.

Much of the island's external income today comes in via services which are largely remote. The bulk I would guess.

I would guess that it's a relatively small part of the national income here today which depends upon travel.

ETA: and much of the govt's income is via VAT. I wouldn't be surprised to see that revenue increase. Especially here, anecdotally, spending seems to be up. 

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, pongo said:

Much of the island's external income today comes in via services which are largely remote. The bulk I would guess.

I would guess that it's a relatively small part of the national income here today which depends upon travel.

ETA: and much of the govt's income is via VAT. I wouldn't be surprised to see that revenue increase. Especially here, anecdotally, spending seems to be up. 

That rather ignores how the VAT share is worked out.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, pongo said:

Most people I know support the government response. Actually - I haven't spoken to a single person who doesn't.

There is nothing to stop you going away to see your family.

Really?

You might not want to reply but is your group of “people I know” mainly elderly people with all their family here?

If not then that is really not the feedback I get from a cross section of ages and people who were born here, have moved here etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, pongo said:

I think things could be OK for several years with the closed borders.

...if government could get a rick on its spending. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, trmpton said:

Really?

You might not want to reply but is your group of “people I know” mainly elderly people with all their family here?

If not then that is really not the feedback I get from a cross section of ages and people who were born here, have moved here etc.

And? They really want to be named for bringing it here, killing relatives and others and shutting down a relatively perfectly functioning economy here?

6 months is no big wait.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, trmpton said:

My circle is about 60% people who work in an area roughly between Athol Street and Circular Road.

ETA: and all on the fun side of their mid 50s.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, pongo said:

My circle is about 60% people who work in an area roughly between Athol Street and Circular Road.

ETA: and all on the fun side of their mid 50s.

Wow

Fair enough.  Nearly everyone I know who falls into that category thinks we need to at the very least be allowing sponsored visits (with isolation) and working towards a gradual relaxation of border policies to allow them to travel more and bring friends and relatives here.

Just shows how different opinions can be I suppose?

Or maybe it shows people weight what they are saying depending on the views of the person they are taking to.  I genuinely know very few people under 70 who want to keep the borders as they are now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cambon said:

This is it. All those earlier moaning about Guernseys brilliant test on arrival don't tell you that if you arrive there from the north of England, you isolate for 14 days anyway. Nearly all of our arrivals are from the north of England and have to isolate for 14 days. So same thing, no extra wasted money. 

Not just the North.  Everywhere except the Jersey, the Northern and Western Isles and Mid-Wales.  And us:

image.png.f85253cc5d0bf4af99bf899c03054da7.png

And seven days plus heavy restrictions after for all of those except us.

Obviously testing on arrival isn't a lot of use at the moment because all it does is confirm what the level of infection is outside Guernsey - which they know already.  I quite like the 3 and 12 day tests that New Zealand do which will pick up infections better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trmpton said:

I genuinely know very few people under 70 who want to keep the borders as they are now.

I highely suspect that attitude is simply down to where that person lives, where his parents or children live and how much travelling he/they feel needs to be done.

So in other words - to protect this place - forget about the UK problems and give the island another 6 months isolating.

It will pay off for all kinds of people in 6 months IMO...here or not.

• Haha 1