IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, paswt said:

Thank you for your honesty , a view held by those who fail to self isolate on returning to the island  , and perhaps percentage of the younger members of the community ?

I read somewhere that medics unilaterally decided to instruct DNR procedure ( or TLC rathe than ICU) on those Covid patients over the age of 60 or 65 , fair enough if it's a choice between saving the life of someone like myself  and say a young mum with a family.

I've been lucky and had a good life so far and I have no complaints if I go tomorrow , but it's not part of the 'plan'🤣

Years back I was a Public Health Inspector taxed with dealing with , amongst other things, the investigation of outbreaks of Infectious disease (including Polio/TB/ Anthrax/ Typhoid  and we tracked/traced/ investigated outbreaks .

Way back when Covid started ( early Feb) a UK politician was heard to remark that it would cull the elderly so the pension funds would benefit as would the NHS (oldies dying rather than needing treatment) and the state would win with the Inheritance tax as every elderly homeowner was mortgage free and every house in London is worth at least a million . He may have been an uncaring individual but he was being honest .

I believe that initially those in power thought it wouldn't affect them and it was only when it was pointed out that "those who die would be dying anyway" would be dying in a few weeks  rather than over a year and "plague pits" would have to be dug to accommodate the corpses when they had a rethink . 

I'm expecting a few more 'amused' responses to this post  probably from the same posters , do I care , not really , just saying:flowers:

I didn't post it stating that it was how I felt, I posted it because there are those that feel that way, pretty much. Personally speaking, there's enough evidence to show that it does kill ages and has very serious health implications, if not fatal, for all ages too. Having said that, there needs to be a timescale or exit strategy based on a vaccine, no vaccine or the virus dying out or becoming less of a health issue, we cannot continue as it is because we cannot financially afford to (any affect on the rest of the world will hit us whether we are Covid free or not) and physically because people will be dropping like flies from increased delays in surgery or treatments, suicide, fatalities from domestic abuse...in the UK massive civil unrest, rioting and looting, hateful people seeking out those with Covid and doing them harm or worse...the list is endless.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Apple said:

7 day testing was stopped by the politicians with little or no regard for some of the implications. They got it wrong. Lets keep the responsibility where it belongs.

That is YOUR opinion. They did the right thing given the data at the time which indicated things would be a lot worse across than they have been and are. So time to reintroduce some of the relaxations. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

I didn't post it stating that it was how I felt, I posted it because there are those that feel that way, pretty much. Personally speaking, there's enough evidence to show that it does kill ages and has very serious health implications, if not fatal, for all ages too. Having said that, there needs to be a timescale or exit strategy based on a vaccine, no vaccine or the virus dying out or becoming less of a health issue, we cannot continue as it is because we cannot financially afford to (any affect on the rest of the world will hit us whether we are Covid free or not) and physically because people will be dropping like flies from increased delays in surgery or treatments, suicide, fatalities from domestic abuse...in the UK massive civil unrest, rioting and looting, hateful people seeking out those with Covid and doing them harm or worse...the list is endless.

Thanks for that :flowers: don't disagree that there will have to be an exit strategy and folk like me will have to take care of ourselves  and avoid contracting Covid , if only to stop the hateful people trying to 'top' me   Running is out of the question with a dodgy hip and I'm on the "routine pile" (after 4 years🤣), been thinking of getting out my least favourite bike and binning it at "Graham Memorial" ( less fatalities there than at "Black Hut"🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

To be honest, when you mix in the polarisation in the US, the huge rise in Islamic hostilities (I'm no fan of any religion but especially Islam - oppressive to and for women and they get all bent out of shape from being offended, I mean really, to kill because someone drew a bloody cartoon ffs!), Covid19, massive refugee crisis and probably a few more that escape me, it would appear that the world is becoming a Hell on Earth.......yet again, maybe it was always thus (sigh)!

• Like 2

Key workers are usually only here for a few days and are isolated when they're not at work. Not all workers who think they are key workers get in, a lot don't.

But businesses who need things and can't get the skills on the island will get their workers in on a testing pathway. Of course they will, they need to.

The change in 7 day testing was clearly brought in to discourage residents travelling to the UK, and because testing capacity is limited. Discouraging travel to the UK is a positive step given what a clusterfuck the English government are making of it.

The risk with close family/friends coming in on level 3 is the fact that the whole household doesn't have to isolate. If they did, I'd support it. But with the best will in the world, if you've not seen your mum for a year you're not going to shove her in the spare room for a fortnight and not talk to her. You're going to have a hug and put the world to rights over a bottle of wine. And that's the risk- you get close to your Covidy mum, get it off her then go out and spread the Covid right across town. That's why we're not at level 3.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, tetchtyke said:

Key workers are usually only here for a few days and are isolated when they're not at work. Not all workers who think they are key workers get in, a lot don't.

But businesses who need things and can't get the skills on the island will get their workers in on a testing pathway. Of course they will, they need to.

The change in 7 day testing was clearly brought in to discourage residents travelling to the UK, and because testing capacity is limited. Discouraging travel to the UK is a positive step given what a clusterfuck the English government are making of it.

The risk with close family/friends coming in on level 3 is the fact that the whole household doesn't have to isolate. If they did, I'd support it. But with the best will in the world, if you've not seen your mum for a year you're not going to shove her in the spare room for a fortnight and not talk to her. You're going to have a hug and put the world to rights over a bottle of wine. And that's the risk- you get close to your Covidy mum, get it off her then go out and spread the Covid right across town. That's why we're not at level 3.

That shows a distinct lack of understanding of where we are at or what Level 3 is. Refer to my post above.

Key worker exemptions granted to a signage company to come and fit vinyl stickers when we have suitable contractors on Island? Not key.

Level 3 is basically where we are right now, barring the hosted visits.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, jaymann said:

That shows a distinct lack of understanding of where we are at or what Level 3 is. Refer to my post above.

Key worker exemptions granted to a signage company to come and fit vinyl stickers when we have suitable contractors on Island? Not key.

Er...Mr Knowall...would tgst be Level 3a or Level 3b?

5 hours ago, jaymann said:

Just for clarity, key workers have been entering the Island for some weeks under a day 7 test policy, even whilst it wasn't available to residents. It's not new news, to those who have taken advantage.

1 hour ago, jaymann said:

[...] Key worker exemptions granted to a signage company to come and fit vinyl stickers when we have suitable contractors on Island? Not key.

Thanks for the information on who is being allowed in and tested.  But that doesn't mean that we're at Level 3, it just means that certain people and companies are getting special treatment not available to others.

• Like 1

UK press front pages reporting that Johnson will announce a national lockdown this coming week.

It defies logic that IOM would lift travel restrictions to UK.

It's safer for direct flights to other European countries rather than the UK.  So if the travel restrictions are lifted somewhat, let's have travel direct to Majorca not Manchester !!

Edited by snowman
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

We cannot afford another lock down financially or health wise,I think the Government are doing a good job, I would not like to make the decisions with the responsibility of the health and wealth of 84.000 approx in my hands.

Is Onchan that big?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, snowman said:

UK press front pages reporting that Johnson will announce a national lockdown this coming week.

It defies logic that IOM would lift travel restrictions to UK.

It's safer for direct flights to other European countries rather than the UK.  So if the travel restrictions are lifted somewhat, let's have travel direct to Majorca not Manchester !!

It defies logic that people needing to go to the UK would think Majorca will do instead. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Gladys said:

It defies logic that people needing to go to the UK would think Majorca will do instead. 

Maybe, but you could go via Palma and nobody would be any the wiser. 

2 week direct holibob to Magaluf, but just pop on the next Ryanair flight into Manchester. Sorted! Back the day before to Palma and onto the return flight to Ronaldsway. Maybe a tube of fake tan to put a bit of colour in your cheeks for effect.