IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

13 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Thanks for the information on who is being allowed in and tested.  But that doesn't mean that we're at Level 3, it just means that certain people and companies are getting special treatment not available to others.

The rules are that the CEO of the relevant government department have to approve the workers as necessary, and then the DHSC decide which testing rules should apply. The testing rules vary depending on why the workers are coming and how long they will be here for.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

So any non essential retail in England shuts from Thursday until 2 Dec at least 

I wonder if soke of our chain stores will now close by default. I remember in March TK Maxx closing before any kind of lockdown started here....

Yeah I would think so.

All the Uk nationals will likely close their head offices, distribution centres etc.

7 hours ago, trmpton said:

Yeah I would think so.

All the Uk nationals will likely close their head offices, distribution centres etc.

In essence that’s probably right. We’ll also probably see supply chains dry up again which could leave many in an awkward position where their companies are open but they can’t actually do any work anyway as they can’t get supplies but they can’t get government support either as their businesses are still technically “open”.  Let’s face it the UK is now shut until the middle of January as even if companies open again in December the supply chains are going to take weeks to get back up and running again and it’s then the Xmas holidays so Johnson has actually done this right at the worst possible time as his overriding concern seems to be that poor little Jonny can have his Xmas Turkey with his mummy and daddy without being locked down to cheer him up (if they haven’t topped themselves by then).

I’d envisage a reasonable stock market correction Monday as UK companies have now been fucked for another 3 months earnings. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

12 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

In essence that’s probably right. We’ll also probably see supply chains dry up again which could leave many in an awkward position where their companies are open but they can’t actually do any work anyway as they can’t get supplies but they can’t get government support either as their businesses are still technically “open”.  Let’s face it the UK is now shut until the middle of January as even if companies open again in December the supply chains are going to take weeks to get back up and running again and it’s then the Xmas holidays so Johnson has actually done this right at the worst possible time as his overriding concern seems to be that poor little Jonny can have his Xmas Turkey with his mummy and daddy without being locked down to cheer him up (if they haven’t topped themselves by then).

I’d envisage a reasonable stock market correction Monday as UK companies have now been fucked for another 3 months earnings. 

Welcome back from purgatory. We just started.

The UK market has (mostly) already corrected. Buy the rumour, sell the news (or vice versa). My personal holdings are Covid-proof anyway. Some parts of the US market are overpriced and had to re-balance anyway.

The rationale for lockdown is based on wrong assumptions:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8899053/DR-MIKE-YEADON-Three-facts-No-10s-experts-got-wrong.html

There are papers coming out from the most authoritative immunologists in the world disproving the whole analysis of UK government advisers and basically supporting the overall point of view that above Daily Mail article summarises. On-the-ground evidence from US states that do not lockdown, for instance (Florida being one of them), shows that the virus is self-limiting.

Unmasked Candice Swanepoel in Miami heading to a hallowing party whose guests down't give a f* about Covid spread obviously... The only reason why Covid doesn't spread anymore in Florida is that Florida is a red state.

CW.jpg.3630bc422b92b61cdcf6b69bf8c070e5.jpg

22 minutes ago, Black Mirror said:

The UK market has (mostly) already corrected. Buy the rumour, sell the news (or vice versa). My personal holdings are Covid-proof anyway. Some parts of the US market are overpriced and had to re-balance anyway.

Mostly factored in and corrected I agree but this change will throw it out again as it’s now effectively shutting the UK until mid January. Done over the weekend too as a knee jerk. Yes if you have no savings that strategy is largely covid free! 

That article and the US itself is interesting as they’re certainly a lot less bothered about it all than us. Probably because the healthcare system is private. I’m sure Candice Swanepoel can afford to have a ventilator on standby just in case and a private ambulance to get her there. No flattening the curve for the NHS needed in Florida and no mass clapping’s in the street demanded like it’s the bloody Blitz as they’re paying them top dollar to do the job they’re paid to do. And if you don’t have cover .. well you’re fucked. But that’s America. I wonder if at the end of this it will be determined that it would have been cheaper to just invest more into the NHS rather than shut the whole bloody country down and get the UK over 2 trillion pounds in debt just so the NHS can cope? 

It does seem the lack of any testing plan is down to money as well as desire not to have any positive cases from testing.

Guernsey have come up with an exit plan with testing on arrival & further test at x days depending on area of travel. Yes at moment only Jersey qualifies for 7 days testing but if uk lockdown brings down cases then other regions may come into 7 days area. When asked about Guernsey Ashy basically said it costs a lot of money and we don’t want testing etc.

we still need a plan going forward nit just 7 days testing for key workers 

On 10/30/2020 at 11:41 PM, hissingsid said:

I would not like to make the decisions with the responsibility of the health and wealth of 84.000 approx in my hands.

Thats why we have the system we have. Also we operate with UK approval and the LG is their representative, forever watchful. It is't all down to one person. Thank Goodness

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Black Mirror said:

My personal holdings are Covid-proof anyway. Some parts of the US market are overpriced and had to re-balance anyway

The thing which is going to be driving the direction of US equities prices over the next weeks is uncertainty around the election result. In particular, the possibility of an unclear or delayed result.

Markets in general are artificially supported in general since Central Banks and governments continually step in to smooth out volatility. But there is little that can be done technically about an unclear election result.

5 hours ago, Banker said:

It does seem the lack of any testing plan is down to money as well as desire not to have any positive cases from testing.

Costs seem to have been a big issue too agreed. I’m sure that’s maybe half of Glovers issue. Can you imagine being sat in front of your shareholders explaining why the IOM has only bought 16,000 tests when Jersey has tested 150,000 people and the UK can’t keep up with testing demand? If you can’t make good profits selling an essential PCR test at the height of a global pandemic then I’m sure as a business you’d be questioning yourself? I wonder how many “What the fuck is going on we’re not being paid for many tests” conversations were had around all the other things? 

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Guernsey have come up with an exit plan with testing on arrival & further test at x days depending on area of travel. Yes at moment only Jersey qualifies for 7 days testing but if uk lockdown brings down cases then other regions may come into 7 days area. When asked about Guernsey Ashy basically said it costs a lot of money and we don’t want testing etc.

we still need a plan going forward nit just 7 days testing for key workers 

Testing on arrival has no value. Testing after 7 days is good for data but isolation for 14 days is the safest option. Our main access point is the Northwest which is higher than Guernsey access point. As far as Guernsey is concerned everywhere is level 4 - isolate for 14 days.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Major Rushen said:

Testing on arrival has no value. Testing after 7 days is good for data but isolation for 14 days is the safest option. Our main access point is the Northwest which is higher than Guernsey access point. As far as Guernsey is concerned everywhere is level 4 - isolate for 14 days.

That’s not true. Testing on arrival will pick up, and exclude, those who have detectable viral load at arrival. That’s 7% of positives. Testing at 7 days picks up 80-85%. Testing at 10 days 85%+.  It’s a question of what risk is acceptable.

Even 14 days isolation has a very, very, small risk of a person with detectable load still being infectious and going out into the community and infecting others.

The thing is, unlike most viruses, Covid is infectious before people develop symptoms ( or don’t if they’re asymptomatic ). That’s where the greatest danger is. So pre travel or arrival testing, isolation, followed by 7 or 10 day testing, apparently achieves almost the same protection  as 14 day quarantine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5