IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

51 minutes ago, Banker said:

Guernsey got 2 new cases picked up on day1 with their testing on arrival. I know lots on here don’t like testing on arrival but it does pick up cases whereas our no testing =no cases policy doesn’t and let’s those who may be infected possibly pass to households 

People aren't saying that testing on arrival won't pick up some cases, just that it's not the most effective testing policy and that there's a danger that some of those who test negative will then think it's OK to break isolation because they are 'clear'.  Obviously it's still a lot better than doing no testing at all.  And of course Guernsey are doing subsequent testing as well.

If anyone is ordering Xmas presents or other stuff from Amazon do it now I know it is early November but there are already problems with deliveries due to boat not sailing and a friend working delivering over here says it is already getting very busy and with lockdown across it will get a lot worse.

20 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Not the reason I was told BUT you know how it works here ;0)

I am only making a connection with reports on FB that they had run out of cheese ( amongst other things) for cheeseburgers and someone bought a packet of cheese slices from the garage. 

Edited by Gladys

7 hours ago, John Wright said:

The one thing she did supply, through her company, apart from her time, the requirement for which was variable, unpredictable, was the reagents for the PCR part of the testing process. This she did at cost rather than retail. Saving about 2/3 of what IoMG would have had to pay without her.

Exactly right. The hospital order the test reagents (called mastermix) from me. They don't have to order from Taxa Genomics but I charge them what it costs for me to put them together. I buy in the chemicals and order the custom parts of the test via suppliers I already have, put them together in my lab, quality control them and then send them up to the hospital. Doing this means we get a single test which has two viral tests and the human RNA (swabbing) check all in the same tube. It costs the government £7.15 ex. VAT per triple test (multiplex). One of the tests in the multiplex tube, and the way the three tests in the same tube are put together are the intellectual property of my company. I haven't gone down the route of exploiting it commercially worldwide, rather I offered it to the IoM Government instead, as I didn't have the time to sell it more widely.

The commercial "back-up" test is the same as the one used in Guernsey and costs £18 ex. VAT, it doesn't contain the swabbing check (probably another £7.15 and a separate run of the PCR machine to do) and the latest genomic data shows the back-up test might not pick up about 40% of cases. 

I don't make any money from the supply of reagents. It felt like the right thing to do given it's my friends and family that need testing too. I didn't want cost to be a factor. 

6 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I checked on Cos Registry I’m not sure she does there’s a link to an off island interest if I recall. It was a few weeks ago now. But either way if you can’t make money during the biggest pandemic in 100 years by flogging or facilitating “gold standard” virus tests due to the IOM government as you say it’s no real advert for anyone moving here in the tech or biomed sector that’s for sure! 

One of my oldest friends, an ecologist based in Aberdeen, is the second Director in the business. If you checked the paperwork then you already know that she doesn't have a shareholding. 

Edited by rachomics
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Guernsey got 2 new cases picked up on day1 with their testing on arrival. I know lots on here don’t like testing on arrival but it does pick up cases whereas our no testing =no cases policy doesn’t and let’s those who may be infected possibly pass to households 

Day 1 testing makes no sense. Let’s say it only picks up 7% of infections, and the rate of infection in the worst part of the UK is about 1 in 40, that will be an overall positive rate of about 0.2% of those tested, meaning a significant number of those testing positive will be false positives. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Day 1 testing makes no sense. Let’s say it only picks up 7% of infections, and the rate of infection in the worst part of the UK is about 1 in 40, that will be an overall positive rate of about 0.2% of those tested, meaning a significant number of those testing positive will be false positives. 

But it picks up more than no testing, also they are too planning more tests at 7 days for regions upto 100 in 100k etc.

Only Jersey qualifies for 7 days at present with IOM still on no testing at present.

1 minute ago, Banker said:

But it picks up more than no testing, also they are too planning more tests at 7 days for regions upto 100 in 100k etc.

Only Jersey qualifies for 7 days at present with IOM still on no testing at present.

But not picking up those 93% (of the 1 in 40) will do more harm than the picking up the 7% (plus a few false positives) does good. 

1 minute ago, wrighty said:

But not picking up those 93% (of the 1 in 40) will do more harm than the picking up the 7% (plus a few false positives) does good. 

I know you say that every time. But you’ve never addressed it as part of a package to reduce quarantine.

Test before departure or on arrival. You stop those already detectable from arriving or put them in a government isolation facility.

The rest do 7 or 10 day quarantine. Then a second test. How many would that detect, added to the 7% at day 1? How much larger is that risk than the risk of someone being infectious at day 14?

The false security can be dealt with by tagging and a greater level of random checking.

The upside is that more people are likely to comply with a shorter quarantine than a longer.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Surely the point is to keep the virus out of the community. Willy waggling numbers is secondary. If we isolate for 14 days,  like I am right now, then the virus will be kept out of the community.  Simple. 

Not necessarily, there are numerous reports (even on the Island, if I may be so bold) of people testing positive at day 14+. It's all about risk mitigation. Even a 14 day isolation won't stop all community cases. The problem with no testing at all is that the first anyone will know about community spread is when a patient comes into the hospital as a severe COVID19 case and tests positive on admission. That's not when you want to find out it's in the community. 

Edited by rachomics
  • Like 11

It really doesn't matter what opinions, hypothesis, models etc anyone on this forum has, we will all have to do pretty much exactly what the authorities have told us to do whether we agree or like it ir not or we run the risk of facing the consequences such as imprisonment for 4 or 8 weeks depending on whether or not the Deemster had a shag the night before...that is all.

Edited by yootalkin2me