IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

4 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

It really doesn't matter what opinions, hypothesis, models etc anyone on this forum has, we will all have to do pretty much exactly what the authorities have told us to do whether we agree or like it ir not or we run the risk of facing the consequences such as imprisonment for 4 or 8 weeks depending on whether or not the Deemster had a shag the night before...that is all.

and that was AFTER your edit. ?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, yootalkin2me said:

Yes, a mere spelling error.

I find it quite odd that forums foster the "I'm right", "no, I'm right", "no, I'm right", it's really quite entertaining in a bizarre kind of way...and none of it matters a jot!

My point was not your grammar, more the reference to the Deemster’s nocturnal activities.🙃

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, rachomics said:

Exactly right. The hospital order the test reagents (called mastermix) from me. They don't have to order from Taxa Genomics but I charge them what it costs for me to put them together. I buy in the chemicals and order the custom parts of the test via suppliers I already have, put them together in my lab, quality control them and then send them up to the hospital. Doing this means we get a single test which has two viral tests and the human RNA (swabbing) check all in the same tube. It costs the government £7.15 ex. VAT per triple test (multiplex). One of the tests in the multiplex tube, and the way the three tests in the same tube are put together are the intellectual property of my company. I haven't gone down the route of exploiting it commercially worldwide, rather I offered it to the IoM Government instead, as I didn't have the time to sell it more widely.

The commercial "back-up" test is the same as the one used in Guernsey and costs £18 ex. VAT, it doesn't contain the swabbing check (probably another £7.15 and a separate run of the PCR machine to do) and the latest genomic data shows the back-up test might not pick up about 40% of cases. 

I don't make any money from the supply of reagents. It felt like the right thing to do given it's my friends and family that need testing too. I didn't want cost to be a factor. 

Unfortunately the Isle of Man Government is full of people who think the more you pay for something, the better it must be,  You should have charged ten times cost and they'd have been praising you to the skies.  Especially if you laid on enough drinks and nibbles.

I did rather get the impression from the press conference that they are hoping that that the quickie test will somehow make things nice and easy and they won't have to bother with any of those pesky lab tests - at least not for the 'right' people (they're limited, y'know).  These are people who never saw a pile of magic beans they wouldn't offer double for. You can see why they'd rather ask anyone but scientists for advice.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Scotty said:

My point was not your grammar, more the reference to the Deemster’s nocturnal activities.🙃

Especially since none of the sentencing has been by a, or the, Deemster. All summary offences, magistrates, deputy or high bailiff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, wrighty said:

But not picking up those 93% (of the 1 in 40) will do more harm than the picking up the 7% (plus a few false positives) does good. 

This is why I was so pissed off at losing the day 7 tests. It was showing us the COVID19 import rate relative to the number of travellers.

A test on day 7/8 really is the best option for our scenario (Island, known day of travel) based on all the modelling and evidence to date. Science is only "one voice" or "one opinion" according to some though :blink:

• Thanks 6

10 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Unfortunately the Isle of Man Government is full of people who think the more you pay for something, the better it must be,  You should have charged ten times cost and they'd have been praising you to the skies.  Especially if you laid on enough drinks and nibbles.

I did rather get the impression from the press conference that they are hoping that that the quickie test will somehow make things nice and easy and they won't have to bother with any of those pesky lab tests - at least not for the 'right' people (they're limited, y'know).  These are people who never saw a pile of magic beans they wouldn't offer double for. You can see why they'd rather ask anyone but scientists for advice.

Summed up in a nutshell. 

Also they like to be subcontracting as blame can easily be passed on, as long as they haven't done it on the cheap. There is less limelight to have to share than if it has to be passed around the department! 

1 hour ago, yootalkin2me said:

like it ir not or we run the risk of facing the consequences such as imprisonment for 4 or 8 weeks depending on whether or not the Deemster had a shag the night before...that is all.

Going by your benchmark with 16 now imprisoned for a variety of minor breaches suggests that they’re certainly not getting any! 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, rachomics said:

This is why I was so pissed off at losing the day 7 tests. It was showing us the COVID19 import rate relative to the number of travellers.

Would that ultimately be practically useful data or is it just interesting?

What policy, for example, could be based on this ratio? Would it even really be a representative number given the partial and relatively tiny dataset?

• Confused 2

24 minutes ago, pongo said:

What policy, for example, could be based on this ratio? Would it even really be a representative number given the partial and relatively tiny dataset?

Surely information about the virus is crucial?  The more information, the better understanding. 

• Like 2

Just for my own information and interest, What qualifies as compassionate grounds to be able to visit the island at this moment in time i.e. death of a parent/sibling of somebody who resides in England. You went to school with somebody who now lives on the island and you thought it would be great to go on the piss just like the good old days. And how long can you stay and what are the isolation rules you are supposed to follow. I have tried to find the information and failed, miserably I may add.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Going by your benchmark with 16 now imprisoned for a variety of minor breaches suggests that they’re certainly not getting any! 

Au contraire mon ami, 4 weeks = had a shag, 8 weeks = didn't have a shag...not sure what the ratio is though.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, pongo said:

Well, knowing that, for example, 2% of returning travellers test positive at day 7 versus 20% of returning travellers testing positive at day 7 informs the isolation periods and the travel policies in place for various groups. There's a big difference. 

Manx people who travel across are far more likely to be careful while they're in the UK as they don't want to be "the person who brings it back", especially with some people being entirely asymptomatic. 

Data is only as useful as what you use it for, but if you have no data at all then you're flying blind. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2