IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

18 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

This lends weight again to the theory that we are being used as a test bed for uk as they tend to do stuff 2 weeks after us

Testbeds are supposed to be representative of the thing you're testing for. I don't think we (with 0 active case) are a good fit for the UK (with 1000-2000 new cases per day)

18 minutes ago, Barlow said:

What if the asymptomatics were biding by the rules and in lockdown,lurking, ready ti unwittingly spread the virus.

The fat lady hasn't even powdered her tuppence yet.

Then they'll no longer be contagious by the time they stop "lurking".

Edited by HeliX

46 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Perhaps, but erring on the side of caution is better than erring on the side of recklessness.

Not that I think there's really a risk here now.

Caution when there is no risk is fine if you are not the business who has to pay the rates, staff, suppliers etc. Caution unfortunately does not give business a fighting chance. A good and popular restaurant in Ramsey, Jean Pierres, has just thrown in the towel due to lockdown. Caution is fine for employees of large multinational’s that have been able to operate through this mess, less so for small businesses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

Caution when there is no risk is fine if you are not the business who has to pay the rates, staff, suppliers etc. Caution unfortunately does not give business a fighting chance. A good and popular restaurant in Ramsey, Jean Pierres, has just thrown in the towel due to lockdown. Caution is fine for employees of large multinational’s that have been able to operate through this mess, less so for small businesses.

Fair comment - I don't know much about running a pub :)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, finlo said:

Anyone care to speculate how many of the pubs will actually be reopening on the 29th? 

The pubs were operating on tight margins before restrictions. I imagine a lot of brewery pubs will remain in mothballs until the sd restrictions are fully removed. I speculate 50% of brewery short term mothballed, potentially never reopening. Free houses will have little choice but give it a go, but again I see a few dropping due to low footfall/operating costs. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

The pubs were operating on tight margins before restrictions. I imagine a lot of brewery pubs will remain in mothballs until the sd restrictions are fully removed. I speculate 50% of brewery short term mothballed, potentially never reopening. Free houses will have little choice but give it a go, but again I see a few dropping due to low footfall/operating costs. 

Apparently all of the brewery's landlord's have received a letter seeking voluntary redundancies so it would appear a chunk aren't reopening!

• Like 1

Well the "Colby Spar" seem to have closed down, or on short hours any way, walked down there, from the estate at least 10 times in the last 2 weeks at different times. and it always seems to be closed, for at least "five hours a day", for either staff shortages, or stocking, or cleaning, i always go to S&S motors now, they seem to have worked a lot harder to make it work.

35 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

, i always go to S&S motors now, they seem to have worked a lot harder to make it work.

S&S have done a good job, expanded range including a fair bit of coop stuff and some of their other refrigerated stuff is cheaper than shoprite. Stuff in the freezer is still 'garage prices' though.

1 hour ago, finlo said:

Anyone care to speculate how many of the pubs will actually be reopening on the 29th? 

Probably quite a few wont.  For no other reason that many of them won't be viable to run when ridiculous social distancing measures are in force.  Cant stand here. Cant sit there.  Plastic screens. Table service only.  More staff cleaning.  Can't see how the likes of the Market and Albert open.  The Bridge wont.  That probably won't open again anyway.  Railway possibly the same.

• Like 5