IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

3 minutes ago, Max Power said:

In 1974 and following the Birmingham pub bombings, temporary emergency anti terrorism legislation, stripping several liberties away were introduced. They are renewed on a nod every year. 

It was Roy Jenkins who introduced those powers IIRC. Against everything that he stood for. But they helped to supress a public reaction which would likely have seen violence against Birmingham's large Irish community. They remain in force (modified) for similar reasons.

Edited by pongo

42 minutes ago, trmpton said:

I hope government are looking at relevant support for local businesses? I assume there is a robust plan in place for if/when the Uk went back into lockdown?

Someone asked something similar on twitter, Lawrie Hooper has replied, you can see it here

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

It has been obvious for some time that one of the principal problems with the pandemic has been clear, obvious, honest communication from governments etc has been appalling. A small community like ours it shouldn't be that hard. Instead we've got ridiculous spats with qualified people and ultra defensive performances from leaders. They need to do better, they need us onside, they need to tell the whole truth all the time.

I have been saying this for months.  After watching the documentary last night, I question even more the information we are being fed.  I don't  subscribe to a conspiracy, but I do subscribe to megalomania which has to be a facet of anyone wanting to go into politics. The problem with covid is it is not within the control of anyone, but the population is and if you are a bit of a megalomaniac, you are going to do all you can to make it appear that "you have got this" at the cost of anything like health, life, truth, civil liberties and justice. 

The above comments do not directly refer to IOM politicians, but they are caught up in the international zeitgeist.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I totally disagree I think the Government have kept us informed every step of the way as far as they could without a crystal ball, this is our Government, Boris Johnson has taken advice from scientists who cannot agree amongst themselves, coming up with new theories every day and really making a dreadful situation worse.   Whether they are hell  bent on making a name for themselves or genuinely believe they are right we do not know but as they contradict each other all the time who do we or the Prime Minister believe ?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I have been saying this for months.  After watching the documentary last night, I question even more the information we are being fed.  I don't  subscribe to a conspiracy, but I do subscribe to megalomania which has to be a facet of anyone wanting to go into politics. The problem with covid is it is not within the control of anyone, but the population is and if you are a bit of a megalomaniac, you are going to do all you can to make it appear that "you have got this" at the cost of anything like health, life, truth, civil liberties and justice. 

The above comments do not directly refer to IOM politicians, but they are caught up in the international zeitgeist.

It's not just the information we're fed, but the misinformation too.

I could write a convincing argument for no lockdown let it rip, or I could write one for the most severe restrictions possible, or one somewhere in the middle, and I could back them all up with 'sources', professors, doctors, officials of all kinds. There has been a whole host of crap dumped on us around this, it's always been hard to figure out what's true.

Did you see that article I posted a while back "the more certain someone is about covid the less you should trust them"? Yeah, that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It's not just the information we're fed, but the misinformation too.

I could write a convincing argument for no lockdown let it rip, or I could write one for the most severe restrictions possible, or one somewhere in the middle, and I could back them all up with 'sources', professors, doctors, officials of all kinds. There has been a whole host of crap dumped on us around this, it's always been hard to figure out what's true.

Did you see that article I posted a while back "the more certain someone is about covid the less you should trust them"? Yeah, that.

100%. 

Yes,  I did read that article but will search again to re-read.  I have been vacillating on covid, but my main concern has been "greatest good at least cost".  However  after hearing Trump trump the same mantra,  I will look for a new slogan!

Oh, and about that documentary from last night...

John Olivers show from last night was half about that, used some of the clips too so maybe it has been screened over there. So if anyone wants a 20 minute sweary version instead of the two hour detailed and very interesting version its here

• Thanks 1

...officials say appropriate safeguards are in place at the hospital to protect care professionals, patients and visitors.  

3FM reported. I thought no requirement to use PPE at Nobles, so no idea what is meant by "appropriate safeguards". Risk of outbreak at Nobles from patient returning from Liverpool was hardly unforeseen.  

10 minutes ago, BenFairfax said:

3FM reported. I thought no requirement to use PPE at Nobles, so no idea what is meant by "appropriate safeguards". Risk of outbreak at Nobles from patient returning from Liverpool was hardly unforeseen.  

If someone tests positive, or answers the questions to say they have been off island etc. Then they take extra precautions like PPe.  Same as a go would.

Not sure what’s complicated about it tbh

1 hour ago, pongo said:

Such a subjective perspective, civil liberties. And most only care about their own.

No it’s quite an easy concept to grasp 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_liberties

Civil liberties are guarantees and freedoms that liberal governments commit not to abridge, either by legislation or judicial interpretation, without due process

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Confused 1