IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

14 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I think it’s pretty accurate. If you go on her business website she seems to analyze a lot of poo.

https://www.taxagenomics.com/services/species-from-faeces/

And I seem to recall that there is a post way back in one of these threads that suggested the equipment was bought by government to identify the dishers out of dog poo and never used. So maybe our extreme petty mindedness in government spending a huge amount of money just to identify dog shit so they can fine dog owners has some unseen and unpredicted benefits. 

Actually, we analyse very little of the stuff. Mostly cheek swabs for inherited disorders. The equipment was purchased by DEFA in 2009, most likely to do E. coli testing as the DEFA lab tests the water courses on the Island for how much cow crap has contaminated the drinking water (i.e. something known as coliforms). This kind of machine would have helped with this, if they'd known how to use it. It had 8 hours on the clock when it arrived at the hospital lab 11 years later. 

6 hours ago, PaulJ said:

There's a strong possibility that you would,many do,but there's plenty of Manx dimwits who wouldn't,no matter what the Dr assumes they'd do.

This is why I'm against border testing as the only test (without isolation). The same dimwits you talk about would definitely go down the pub if given a piece of paper from the government saying they've tested negative for COVID19. Border testing on it's own without any isolation and a further test at 7/8 days would be a very risky business. 

2 hours ago, trmpton said:

Possibly just a bad choice of words or a misinterpretation.

Everyone is tested they’re days before a routine admission (such as a follow up from a procedure in the UK) If they test positive the appointment will be delayed or dealt with with extra precautions in place.

I think it’s unlikely they would deliberately lie about something they know is going to be subject to public scrutiny.  What would the possible benefit of doing that be?

I don't know the details of the case but it's worth noting that all hospital admissions (for whatever reason) are tested routinely.

• Thanks 3

While I'm here, I remember seeing a post where someone questioned my qualifications and/or experience to do COVID19 testing.

For clarification here's my publication record: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=CnlfwogAAAAJ

For comparison/balance etc here's the publication record of the lovely lady leading Wales' testing effort (it's a small world): https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=S8liENYAAAAJ

A virus is a virus is a virus when it comes to testing for them. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, rachomics said:

This is why I'm against border testing as the only test (without isolation). The same dimwits you talk about would definitely go down the pub if given a piece of paper from the government

I don't know the details of the case but it's worth noting that all hospital admissions (for whatever reason) are tested routinely.

Agree concerning said dimwits,though quite a few wouldn't need a government paper to visit a pub.

As for the case that was reported today,I'm very familiar with it.

19 minutes ago, rachomics said:

While I'm here, I remember seeing a post where someone questioned my qualifications and/or experience to do COVID19 testing.

For clarification here's my publication record: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=CnlfwogAAAAJ

For comparison/balance etc here's the publication record of the lovely lady leading Wales' testing effort (it's a small world): https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=S8liENYAAAAJ

Far too modest.

40 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Agree concerning said dimwits,though quite a few wouldn't need a government paper to visit a pub.

As for the case that was reported today,I'm very familiar with it.

If it is someone close to you, hope they are OK, both on the covid side and whatever else they are dealing with. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trmpton said:

If someone tests positive, or answers the questions to say they have been off island etc. Then they take extra precautions like PPe.  Same as a go would.

Not sure what’s complicated about it tbh

When you say "they take extra precautions", is anybody checking this happens and reminding patients of this requirement. Back in mid-Summer (maybe end July) (as I recall) management told outpatient departments and blood lab to stop using PPE (facemasks), I know of medics who wished to continue using masks but were told not too. In UK use of PPE in clinical settings is required even if that town/hospital has no active COVID cases. In US CDC just suggests a principle that if a clinical need can be addressed such that same functional outcome is obtained while reducing risk (with minimal disruption) then it should occur. Nobles represents a single point of failure and if an outbreak occurred, we do not have another hospital to refer patients as is the case when outbreaks occur in UK hospitals.   

2 hours ago, rachomics said:

And as I understand before you got involved, no tests where performance end-to-end locally and I read/heard lab can now perform 800 PCR tests a day with I assume results within 24 hours. Pretty useful to contain any local outbreak and monitor the borders. 

6 hours ago, BenFairfax said:

When you say "they take extra precautions", is anybody checking this happens and reminding patients of this requirement. Back in mid-Summer (maybe end July) (as I recall) management told outpatient departments and blood lab to stop using PPE (facemasks), I know of medics who wished to continue using masks but were told not too. In UK use of PPE in clinical settings is required even if that town/hospital has no active COVID cases. In US CDC just suggests a principle that if a clinical need can be addressed such that same functional outcome is obtained while reducing risk (with minimal disruption) then it should occur. Nobles represents a single point of failure and if an outbreak occurred, we do not have another hospital to refer patients as is the case when outbreaks occur in UK hospitals.   

You’ve got it the wrong way round. Simple but fundamental misunderstanding.

2 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

There seems to be a growing rumour that whole households will have to self isolate if they have Christmas returnees. Any thoughts on that anyone?

Short of telling the students to stay where they are and not come back, it seems entirely reasonable.

The main reason is the sheer volume of people due to come back through the Island being greater than any period since the borders relaxed to their current state.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, jaymann said:

Short of telling the students to stay where they are and not come back, it seems entirely reasonable.

I’m not sure how anyone of sound mind can think that would be entirely reasonable. It would be a complete over-reaction just as the Comis hotel fiasco was a complete over reaction. There’s so many covid-loonies around though trying to corral government into making increasing over reactions to everything now though you can actually see something similar happening. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, BenFairfax said:

It was covered in Thursdays briefing.  At the start when David Ashford was reminding people not to be abusive to Gp staff who are simply doing their job by asking the questions.

40 minutes ago, jaymann said:

The main reason is the sheer volume of people due to come back through the Island being greater than any period since the borders relaxed to their current state.

Thing is they aren’t all coming back on the same day, not even the same week. It’ll be a drift over the next 6 weeks.

Its safe to assume, with the English lockdown, that there’ll be fewer Manxies travelling to UK, and none travelling further afield, and then returning. Certainly until early December.

I think you’re assuming a bulge of arrivals with returning students. I think that’s a false premise.

Our systems have proved robust over the last 8 months, for key workers, people being repatriated and allowing travel. If it’s not broke don’t fix it.

• Like 4