IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, monasqueen said:

I've read that New Delhi is on its third spike. That does not bode well for the rest of us.

Well their population is a lot more crammed into accommodation and workplaces than most of Europe & UK so unfortunately they will suffer higher cases

1 hour ago, monasqueen said:

I've read that New Delhi is on its third spike. That does not bode well for the rest of us.

Spanish flu had four spikes in Europe. The second was the biggest. First and third similar, fourth small and isolated by comparison. Everything to do with Covid 19 is showing a similar path. 

3 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Spanish flu had four spikes in Europe. The second was the biggest. First and third similar, fourth small and isolated by comparison. Everything to do with Covid 19 is showing a similar path. 

We didn’t have drugs when Spanish flu hit and if you think we will have c20m deaths from COVID you are believing some weird theories 

1 minute ago, Banker said:

We didn’t have drugs when Spanish flu hit and if you think we will have c20m deaths from COVID you are believing some weird theories 

I’m not sure where they would have bought hand sanitizer or disposable masks in 1918 either. But at least bog roll hadn’t been invented so they wouldn’t have to stockpile that! That said I’m guessing disease is going to transmit very effectively around a population that couldn’t even wipe their own arses properly! 

40 minutes ago, Banker said:

Number of deaths is irrelevant. What I am saying is the second spike will be much worse than the first. 

• Confused 1

I've been told that applications for Manx student funding was 2/3 of normal. Students have been coming back in dribs and drabs for weeks now as universities pretty much go online only. I expect that to pick up with the lockdown starting in England this week.

The risk with students is them coming over and transmitting it through the household. I'm surprised CoMin haven't brought in full-household isolation. I suspect they night.

I'd love to see them all come back in the next couple of weeks, get the 2 weeks quarantine done, and then they can enjoy Christmas. And, to be fair, the government through Dr Allinson have been hinting at that being the best thing to do for weeks now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tetchtyke said:

I've been told that applications for Manx student funding was 2/3 of normal. Students have been coming back in dribs and drabs for weeks now as universities pretty much go online only. I expect that to pick up with the lockdown starting in England this week.

The risk with students is them coming over and transmitting it through the household. I'm surprised CoMin haven't brought in full-household isolation. I suspect they night.

I'd love to see them all come back in the next couple of weeks, get the 2 weeks quarantine done, and then they can enjoy Christmas. And, to be fair, the government through Dr Allinson have been hinting at that being the best thing to do for weeks now.

I suspect we'll be in lockdown ourselves before Christmas!;)

2 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I’m not sure where they would have bought hand sanitizer or disposable masks in 1918 either. But at least bog roll hadn’t been invented so they wouldn’t have to stockpile that! That said I’m guessing disease is going to transmit very effectively around a population that couldn’t even wipe their own arses properly! 

Toilet roll was patented in 1883, toilet paper mass produced in the 14th century and the Chinese used it in the 6th century. Interesting what you can glean from these threads :) 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Toilet roll was patented in 1883, toilet paper mass produced in the 14th century and the Chinese used it in the 6th century. Interesting what you can glean from these threads :) 

Great research. Hygiene was still a lot worse back then and most of them would probably have been shite-arses as well as malnourished by today’s standard which would have had a significant impact on mortality I’d guess. 

• Like 1

This might have been mentioned already and I missed it.

Chamber of Commerce pushing for border testing.

The vocal majority on FB who want everything locked down are clearly from two or three certain demographics.  None of which are likely to make them members of the CoC.

Those who are, and who understand the bigger picture, won’t want to be speaking out on a public platform like FB and opening themselves up to a load of abuse.

https://www.change.org/p/isle-of-man-government-introduce-covid-19-testing-at-iom-port-and-airport-to-allow-our-loved-ones-to-come-home/u/28002386?cs_tk=Avjw-h0o3v7nPDKMpV8AAXicyyvNyQEABF8BvHoTzQ_SSKJyfe1O-YoQBB4%3D&utm_campaign=da8af04ef9404c719747fab839c7b695&utm_content=initial_v0_4_0&utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_update&utm_term=cs

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, trmpton said:

This might have been mentioned already and I missed it.

Chamber of Commerce pushing for border testing.

The vocal majority on FB who want everything locked down are clearly from two or three certain demographics.  None of which are likely to make them members of the CoC.

Those who are, and who understand the bigger picture, won’t want to be speaking out on a public platform like FB and opening themselves up to a load of abuse.

https://www.change.org/p/isle-of-man-government-introduce-covid-19-testing-at-iom-port-and-airport-to-allow-our-loved-ones-to-come-home/u/28002386?cs_tk=Avjw-h0o3v7nPDKMpV8AAXicyyvNyQEABF8BvHoTzQ_SSKJyfe1O-YoQBB4%3D&utm_campaign=da8af04ef9404c719747fab839c7b695&utm_content=initial_v0_4_0&utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_update&utm_term=cs

What will testing at the border achieve? It might catch a small % but it won't achieve what a 14 day isolation period will, other than create a load of stats and headlines.

I'm all for allowing family members and business people from off island to come over as long as they isolate to keep things ticking over but testing someone at the border doesn't achieve anything of note.