IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

54 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

The government did pretty well initially but in my view they have undone most of it with the situation over schools and getting shops and social enterprises back to normal.

They have been unnecessarily cautious and it is detrimental to the island's economy and people.

We are three weeks without a case.  Everything except the borders should be open as normal.  Even if they had thrown everything open a week ago it'll take months to get back to normal levels for many businesses.

The costs and burdens they are placing on businesses is ridiculous. 

The borders issue, judging by the approach so far, is going to be horrific.

Completely agree, I feel we were being led by Ashford and Quayle, whose cautious approach worked initially, but whose babysteps are now unnecessarily hindering schooling, business etc. I hope and believe that the more hawkish members of Comin are gaining more authority and will start removing those cost and burdens. I look around Comin and struggle to see someone with any particular business background, so just hope that they are being well advised and lobbied.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

Completely agree, I feel we were being led by Ashford and Quayle, whose cautious approach worked initially, but whose babysteps are now unnecessarily hindering schooling, business etc. I hope and believe that the more hawkish members of Comin are gaining more authority and will start removing those cost and burdens. I look around Comin and struggle to see someone with any particular business background, so just hope that they are being well advised and lobbied.

Yes there's absolutely no need to continue depriving people of their livelihoods and children of their education as well as all delays for hospital treatment etc to satisfy a few scared older people.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

It’s lucky that the government hasn’t imposed a hosepipe ban, outdoor only restaurants and encouraged cycling as a commuting solution. 

It's certainly true that all work spaces should have bike racks, showers, lockers and changing facilities.

12 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Hooray hooray hooray for our amazing political leaders keeping us all safe, instead of removing restrictions wanting to enforce some more.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=56107

Idiots.

"Mr Shimmins also noted Holland where, he said, ’very few’ people actually wear cycling helmets in their everyday lives, despite it being seen as one of the safest cyclist countries in the world."

Errrr you don't suppose Holland's policies of making their roads safer for cyclists has anything to do with it being much safer for said cyclists than, say, The Isle of Man?

It's either piss-poor journalism,  piss-poor grammar or piss-poor political thinking.

Or all three.

The Isle of Man, where you can.....

I was just listening to David ‘babysteps’ Ashford in the Q&A, and he mentioned that he considered 28 days with no cases as the significant milestone, as he sees this as two virus cycles. I am speculate that if Mr Caution himself can bring himself to then call the island virus free at that point, that all restrictions may be removed (except borders). Fingers crossed for next Thursday’s announcements.

2 hours ago, Out of the blue said:

I was just listening to David ‘babysteps’ Ashford in the Q&A, and he mentioned that he considered 28 days with no cases as the significant milestone, as he sees this as two virus cycles. I am speculate that if Mr Caution himself can bring himself to then call the island virus free at that point, that all restrictions may be removed (except borders). Fingers crossed for next Thursday’s announcements.

Yet Guernsey at 29 days has declared itself completely open for business.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/29/guernsey-first-place-british-isles-declared-coronavirus-free-12777130/

Lots of businesses will be shut permanently if we don't get opened up soon, Comis hotel are making hotel staff and some of golf course staff redundant as no point in opening hotel if no visitors can get here and this IOM staycation is never going to happen.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

Yes, but I am trying to remain optimistic. I did notice that he is looking decidedly unhealthy and worn out. He really could have done with getting out in that sun we had. 

Ashford? He'd burn.

• Haha 2