IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

But we’ve empowered private snoopers anyway. Surely people paid to keep tabs on things would be better than passing the baton to legions of nosey bastards to use emergency legislation to carry out vendettas on people with? Public or private snooping is about the same but at least the public snoopers wear a uniform so you know who they are! It’s the private snoopers you need to be concerned about as you won’t know who they are or what their motivation is! 

But postmen would be a pretty stupid idea as the monitors of any form of enforced quarantine because:

(a) they only work mornings and early afternoons and usually call round at the about same time each day - so anyone wanting to break quarantine just avoids those times

(b) they don't work Saturdays and Sundays ditto 

(c) because they come in contact with a lot of people, if one gets infected from someone isolating, they could spread it to a lot of others 

(d) posties already work to a tight schedule, so waiting at various doors to see if someone is there there will disrupt that a lot, unless you think they should leave a green card after 30 seconds saying "Go directly to Jurby, do not pass Go".

(e) wearing any sort of protective gear is going to be difficult because of the constantly active nature of the job - there's a reason why they're the first people in shorts

But apart from that it's a brilliant idea!

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Apple said:

I asked the question about postmen due to the previous post. Is it their business to know if a house is in quarantine just to post a letter ?

If someone puts an identifying mark on their door for everyone to see is that remaining confidential?

There are other instances, to post a letter you do not need to trust the occupants. But if you ring bell to deliver a parcel, the postman would need to trust that the householders would inform them the are isolating (i.e. not open the door). It all comes down to trust, and can go both ways. Say one wished to hire a cleaner or have work done in house then is it reasonable to ask that person and their households travel history and whatever you are told should be even believe them.

The situations here and with monitoring in general it all comes down to trust. Personally, I would trust close family and people I would refer to as friends as representing zero risk of them not telling me of positive COVID test and/or any symptoms and/or whether the have traveled off island, and I hope same would apply vice versa. When I move further away from such people I am less inclined to trust completely what I am told. Just consider, if your friend knocks on door and said's needs borrow 20 GBP you just give it to them, it neighbor does who you seen around and seems normal but certain not your friend I would, but if complete stranger turns up then you would at least ask why and what for, and whether get 20 GBP would depend on answer I get and my general impression of them. I may even say, fine but leave say your watch with me, and get it back when repay 20 GBP. So even in this instance one tries to manage risk. Situation with postman etc, is that we need to overcome this issue of trust and managing risk.

With confidentiality/transparency and trust, there is a conflict. If people keep confidentiality, then counterparty may choose to assume worse case scenario just to protect themselves.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

You say Private Snooper

I say civil duty as a human being.

I would not stand by while one individual who traveled to high risk area potentially infected another individual with COVID 19, similar would apply to any other serious infectious disease such as AIDS etc. So far not had local outbreak (to my surprise) but if and when this happens, and if outbreak traced to individual who broke quaranteen then what charges should they face. In my mind it definitely on par with causing injury/death by dangerous driving.     

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, BenFairfax said:

I would also ask people in quaranteen to post note onto the front door. Why should postman doing his rounds not be warned if various houses are meant to quaranteen.   

I would not like to see 'notes on door' either for Covid quarantine or for vulnerable people post Covid. They (postmen and post women) could wear gloves to protect themselves I suppose.

Edited by Apple

5 hours ago, BenFairfax said:

i would not stand by while one individual who traveled to high risk area potentially infected another individual with COVID 19, similar would apply to any other serious infectious disease such as AIDS etc. So far not had local outbreak (to my surprise) but if and when this happens, and if outbreak traced to individual who broke quaranteen then what charges should they face. In my mind it definitely on par with causing injury/death by dangerous driving.     

What’s AIDS got to do with it? I was suggesting they might check up on people not shag them. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I wonder what % of postal staff have been off with confirmed Covid?

There might be some risk of transmission at depots, but out on the road I’d had thought it was minimal. Single crewed, outdoors, very little actual face to face interaction and even then only for under a minute. 

Was there not an outbreak at the southern delivery office peak 'rona a few months back?

15 hours ago, BenFairfax said:

As Pulse reports: all GPs are being primed for its roll out, contacts in place GP get over 12.58 GBP to administer each dose (versus bit over 10 GBP for flu jab) but only paid when give 2nd shot, vaccine will be delivered in 1,000 dose batches and once refrosted from -70C, will need to be used within 5 days, and need to stay on site for 20min after jab. They been told to be ready by 1st Dec....

As I thought the GP where being primed for something, which begs the question why did I not buy few out of money short dated FTSE call options WTF.... But at least I should be able to go on bender at Spoons some time soon.

Edited by BenFairfax