IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

27 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Yeah right. That’s why there’s huge internet speculation out there which is pretty unhelpful to government in the overall scheme of things and probably unhelpful to the family affected as well having loonies speculate about various conspiracies surrounding the reporting of hospital admissions. 

No one is forced to engage with or read what Mr. Angry from Onchan or Airhead Karen says.

There isn't any conspiracy.   I'm not sure we constantly have to pander to nutters.

1 minute ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I'm not sure we constantly have to pander to nutters.

The IOMs entire strategy so far and the main reason for our overly penal border restrictions and other matters seems to be in order to specifically pander to nutters. So why is this so different? It’s irresponsible to allow nutters to spread hysteria and false information without having a robust PR strategy to properly counter it by keeping the public accurately informed. 

On 11/6/2020 at 7:12 PM, trmpton said:

So.  News from the uk that the spread has plateaued or is dropping.

Of course intelligent people knew that anyway.

Comparison of number of Patients in Hospital in England reported today and the prior 8 weeks:

• 14th Sept - 782

• 21st Sept - 1,261

• 28th Sept - 1,883

• 5th Oct - 2,593

• 12th Oct - 3,665

• 19th Oct - 5,402

• 26th Oct - 7,454

• 2nd Nov - 9,816

• 9th Nov - 11,520

3 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

The IOMs entire strategy so far and the main reason for our overly penal border restrictions and other matters seems to be in order to specifically pander to nutters. So why is this so different? It’s irresponsible to allow nutters to spread hysteria and false information without having a robust PR strategy to properly counter it by keeping the public accurately informed. 

They are accurately informed in this case though.

30 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

It's clear as day and the statement couldn't be clearer.  Someone died from Covid.  That is what killed them.  It might be uncomfortable for some people but the statement said so.  If the person had died from something else but happened to have covid they would have said.  That isn't what happened.

Now I'm worried.  When TDDB is running around shouting "Nothing to see here!", something has probably gone very wrong.

The Government's problem is they they went from "No one's in hospital with Covid" to "Someone's died in hospital with Covid" very quickly.  People tend not to die from Covid very quickly - it can take weeks, even months to kill people.  There may be all sorts of ways of explaining it, but they need to do so or people are going to come up with all sorts of mad theories.

This can be done easily without naming victims - I'll point yet again to the press releases that the New Zealand Government put out every day - even if it's just to say there are no new cases.  They even do so on Saturdays and Sundays.  Click on several of those and you'll see the pattern.  If they don't yet know something they'll say so and follow it up on later days.  If there are small community outbreaks they give details of which groups are being tested and what other people who might be affected should do.

• Like 3

The English government are going all out for testing because the boss of the testing agency owns the company which is doing the testing.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/10/exclusive-vaccine-taskforce-chief-may-benefit-from-49m-uk-investment?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

UK police can fine people £10,000 as a *fixed penalty notice*, and have been doing gleefully this week, including fining an 18yo lad ten grand because his house party got gatecrashed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8852201/Family-18-year-old-hit-10-000-Covid-fine-refuse-pay-penalty-blame-drunk-gatecrashers.html

So much for the Manx laws being harsh!

As for testing on arrival, I still don't get the point. It's not reliable enough to allow people to avoid quarantine with a negative test, so why bother spending the money? Is the data useful? I'd say not really, if it's not reliable enough to release from quarantine it's not reliable enough to give good information.

Manx "Key workers" and patient transfers can now get a test on day 7, and they're the ones travelling the most, so we're getting the data there. The 14 day quarantine for everyone else is clearly as much about deterring travel as anything else.

No doubt I'm an Angry Karen too for thinking the borders framework here is working and that we shouldn't change it until the UK get their shit together.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Now I'm worried.  When TDDB is running around shouting "Nothing to see here!", something has probably gone very wrong.

The Government's problem is they they went from "No one's in hospital with Covid" to "Someone's died in hospital with Covid" very quickly.  People tend not to die from Covid very quickly - it can take weeks, even months to kill people.  There may be all sorts of ways of explaining it, but they need to do so or people are going to come up with all sorts of mad theories.

This can be done easily without naming victims - I'll point yet again to the press releases that the New Zealand Government put out every day - even if it's just to say there are no new cases.  They even do so on Saturdays and Sundays.  Click on several of those and you'll see the pattern.  If they don't yet know something they'll say so and follow it up on later days.  If there are small community outbreaks they give details of which groups are being tested and what other people who might be affected should do.

So you're saying it's impossible for someone to die of covid quickly?  I didn't realise you were an expert on it (although maybe I should have realised).

It isn't a case of "nothing to see here ".  It's a case someone died from covid.  

It's seems more important to pander to nutters than just pet normal people who can read.

3 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:
18 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

People tend not to die from Covid very quickly - it can take weeks, even months to kill people. 

Expand  

So you're saying it's impossible for someone to die of covid quickly?   

[..] It's seems more important to pander to nutters than just pet normal people who can read.

Can I suggest you find one of those normal people and ask them for lessons?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

My exact point. It needs concise direct and honest PR to address these points before people go mad(der) and make stuff up and panic spreads. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

So you're saying it's impossible for someone to die of covid quickly?  I didn't realise you were an expert on it (although maybe I should have realised).

It isn't a case of "nothing to see here ".  It's a case someone died from covid.  

It's seems more important to pander to nutters than just pet normal people who can read.

The 47 year old rail worker who died of Covid was admitted to hospital on a Thursday and had died by the Sunday. As you say, Covid can kill quickly.

A little bit more detail would help- why were they in hospital already, etc- but that wouldn't change much. Say they're elderly and/or frail and you'd just get the usual suspects saying they'd have died anyway so it doesn't matter.

Edited by tetchtyke
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, thesultanofsheight said:

My exact point. It needs concise direct and honest PR to address these points before people go mad and make stuff up and panic spreads. 

Why would there be anything to panic about?

I'm fairly keen on not catching Covid-19, but I can't see any fathomable reason to panic because we had a Covid-19 death. It kills people. We know this. We can see it worldwide. The only reason a death here would cause panic is if it was a substantially different strain. Which is unlikely given the infinitesimally small genetic pool of the virus here.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, tetchtyke said:

UK police can fine people £10,000 as a *fixed penalty notice*, and have been doing gleefully this week, including fining an 18yo lad ten grand because his house party got gatecrashed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8852201/Family-18-year-old-hit-10-000-Covid-fine-refuse-pay-penalty-blame-drunk-gatecrashers.html

So much for the Manx laws being harsh!

That’s not harsh at all compared to here.