IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

9 minutes ago, Cambon said:

The point is EVERY arrival is assumed positive. No household mixing is allowed. Any cross infection is poor isolation. 

It may not be allowed but it happens and can't be policed, but those testing positive on arrival would take more care and anyone else in household would have to isolate which they don't at present 

• Like 2

Who will be the first to get a Covid vaccine?
The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) has examined data on who suffers the worst outcomes from coronavirus and who is at highest risk of death.
Its interim guidance says the order of priority should be:
– Older adults in a care home and care home workers
– All those aged 80 and over and health and social care workers, though they may move up the list
– Anyone 75 and over
– People aged 70 and over
– All those aged 65 and over
– High-risk adults under 65
– Moderate-risk adults under 65
– All those aged 60 and over
– All those 55 and over
– All those aged 50 and over
– The rest of the population, with priority yet to be determined.

So about half of the “cases” have symptoms and none are in hospital.

I wonder how many of those with symptoms got tested because they had symptoms and how many got tested for some other reason, found out they were positive and then when asked went “oh, now you mention it, I did have the shits/was a bit warm/sneezed/coughed the other day”

The only statistics we should be interested in our hospital admissions and any deaths.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cassie2 said:

...the order of priority should be:
– Older adults in a care home and care home workers
– All those aged 80 and over and health and social care workers, though they may move up the list
– Anyone 75 and over
– People aged 70 and over
– All those aged 65 and over
– High-risk adults under 65
– Moderate-risk adults under 65
– All those aged 60 and over
– All those 55 and over
– All those aged 50 and over
– The rest of the population, with priority yet to be determined.

So the only 4 healthy working taxpayers we have here are in for a long wait then :)

Think it should really be only those born here first. Rest can wait.

48 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I do wonder why the plan to vaccinate is back to front.  I know it's tradition and all but wouldn't it be better to vaccinate the ones who want to get out of lockdown and get back to work?  Wouldn't it also be better for the economy that everyone keeps banging on about?

ETA - And the medics of course.

I'm one of the vulnerable (but not elderly - no way!) but it's quite easy for me to hide myself away and only come out when it's all over. I'd far rather my son got mine tbh and I'm sure other (not elderly) folks might feel the same.

I'd love to know the reasoning behind the elderly first and look forward to being educated forthwith.

Roxanne:

Once you have vaccinated the 20 million of UK people who are more at risk from Covid, the pandemic is practically over, because its is among those 20 million that you have 98% of deaths.

There is no point vaccinating those for whom Covid is little more than a cold. At this stage at the least.

In the future, a Covid vaccination may be extended further, but, for the time being, there are still so many unknown about those vaccines, that a focused vaccination program is the best way to proceed. Of course, those who have particular concern or exposure about Covid should be allowed to have the vaccine, if that is what they want.

Note that Ashford made it very clear that vaccination is going to be entirely voluntary. I had expected nothing else than that position (see my previous few postings on this issue). Quayle and Ashford have their own limits, and personally I don't like them much, but they are neither crazy nor reckless nor despots.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Yep.

Lost control.

The hospital is being overwhelmed.

They are dying on the streets of St. Helier.

88525F56-BB47-4A28-A350-8752C987E4F3.jpeg

Exactly. I think we need to accept that it can only be classified as 'out of control' when them 0's start ticking up and deaths become a real issue.

If people are just getting infected and harmlessly recovering, then great. There is still so much that can be done in terms of mitigating spread around testing.

A figure I heard the other day is that there's 2,800 students due to return the Isle of Man before Christmas and this could result in up to 9000 people self-isolation IF whole housholds had to isolate. Obviously you can whittle that down as any will go self-catering instead, but even half that figure and we'd still have plenty self-isolating IF whole housholds had to, which they don't?

49 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Thanks but I already knew that. To make it clearer, why can't the vulnerable and the elderly isolate themselves and let the working population crack on - if getting the economy started again is so very important?

Some undoubtedly can. Vulnerable people but who remain mobile can shield. But what about those who are vulnerable and require care, either at home or in a care home?

Do all the staff have to shield too? What about their immediate family? Do they have to shield? The DHSC employs about 3500 people, not all are patient facing but a lot are, or work with people who are patient facing.

This is the issue, it's not just "the vulnerable", it's everyone who is employed to look after them and their families too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4