IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Whether you accept, or not, that the current situation here constitutes, or not, ‘community transmission’, this is almost an incidental matter. What is indisputable is that Quayle and his government are partial with the truth, opaque, unwilling to evidence or account for their actions, hostile to reasonable requests for clarification or information, shockingly bad at communication, and dismissive of alternative views, even when expressed by seasoned professionals. These are the matters that should exercise our alarm. It’s shocking.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

The problem is, there's no actual transparency to it, and we're at a stage where we need that.

We can't just fumble under the rug and massage things to be the way they need to be to fit a narrative.

If the virus is coming back, even in a small way, tell people. Nobody even sanitises their hands walking into Shoprite now, and it'd be a good kick up the bottom to not be complacent.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Out of the blue said:

I understand and agree with your specific point, however it would appear that our government has used the above WHO factors as a guide when classifying 'Manx' community transmission, which is entirely understandable given the WHO did not write definitions that align to a small self governing island like ours

I think you're being too generous.What they are doing is reverting to the classification of the origin of cases that they used in the spring.  If I remember correctly this was:

If someone had had known close contact with someone already diagnosed, they were classified as 'Close Contact'

Otherwise if they have been off-Island they were classified as 'Travel'.

If not that it was classified as 'Community Transmission'

The latter made up about 40% of cases in the spring.

This is clearly very different from the way that WHO define it, the only link is that once community transmission happens in the WHO sense, you would expect to see the number of community transmission cases rise and test and trace became overwhelmed and it became more difficult to find where someone caught it.

• Thanks 1

I see this as an opportunity.  We are a small community,  with good communication we can identify quickly all contacts, trace and test, and eradicate the outbreak. To do this would mean support from all, and I think that would be willingly given if the opportunity was available. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, NoTail said:

I see this as an opportunity.  We are a small community,  with good communication we can identify quickly all contacts, trace and test, and eradicate the outbreak. To do this would mean support from all, and I think that would be willingly given if the opportunity was available. 

Yes a good old witch hunt is exactly what we need and what will be prescribed by government. Crank all the nutters up into a hysterical rage and let’s flush out anyone who has been somewhere else ever or anyone who knows anyone who has been somewhere else ever and put them in a quarantine hotel for 6 months! 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Whether you accept, or not, that the current situation here constitutes, or not, ‘community transmission’, this is almost an incidental matter. What is indisputable is that Quayle and his government are partial with the truth, opaque, unwilling to evidence or account for their actions, hostile to reasonable requests for clarification or information, shockingly bad at communication, and dismissive of alternative views, even when expressed by seasoned professionals. These are the matters that should exercise our alarm. It’s shocking.

[applause]

•  
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Yes a good old witch hunt is exactly what we need and what will be prescribed by government. Crank all the nutters up into a hysterical rage and let’s flush out anyone who has been somewhere else ever or anyone who knows anyone who has been somewhere else ever and put them in a quarantine hotel for 6 months! 

It actually feels like some people on here are almost desperate for community cases.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Given what I have heard about this little group of cases and how things are being run up at Noble's the senior hospital management will have a lot of questions to answer over the upcoming days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

It actually feels like some people on here are almost desperate for community cases.

Just some honesty would be a good start.

if we have em, lets deal with em and let the public know we have em so we can decide as individuals if we wish to take any precautionary care in the weeks to follow. Maybe be more diligent in use of sanitiser or whatever it may be. We need the govt to be open and transparent, it’s the only way thru this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

The problem is... ...nobody even sanitises their hands walking into Shoprite now... 

Not entirely true, I was there Tuesday and joined a small queue who were doing just that. I also use a big fucking dollop to sanitise the handle of the basket before using it, as did the woman behind me.

As I've said before, us old and vulnerables haven't stopped going (quietly and non-hysterically) about our business, carefully sticking to the guidelines. Even in these times of wilful complacency and pig-fucking-ignorance it's easy to keep the supposedly 'safe' distance without the slightest panic.

As soon as this administration finally admit to there being cases in the community the one-time masks will be back in use too.

Odds-on, 50+ community cases by end of January. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Before that I think!

Community cases? No.

on-island cross infection? Yes.

cant wait to see IOM Gov Social media updates in Jan.

Total active cases: Community - 0, Hospital - 4, Isolated individual (non-community) - 77, On-Island but doesn’t own a toaster - 4, On-Island but doesn’t drink Bushys - 17, On-Island but definitely not community - 50

49 minutes ago, quilp said:

Not entirely true, I was there Tuesday and joined a small queue who were doing just that. I also use a big fucking dollop to sanitise the handle of the basket before using it, as did the woman behind me.

As I've said before, us old and vulnerables haven't stopped going (quietly and non-hysterically) about our business, carefully sticking to the guidelines. Even in these times of wilful complacency and pig-fucking-ignorance it's easy to keep the supposedly 'safe' distance without the slightest panic.

As soon as this administration finally admit to there being cases in the community the one-time masks will be back in use too.

Odds-on, 50+ community cases by end of January. 

Yes, people are still sanitising on going into shops, I saw it today in Tesco.

However, we are told in one breath not to be complacent, then in another are not being provided with clear unequivocal information seemingly to maintain the covid-free status which beats our biosphere status and the various areas of special scientific interest on the world beating stage.

The delay in the release of stats today just unnerves and makes you wonder if the reason was to shoehorn cases  into the non-community definition. 

It is possibly a vain hope, but if we are treated as adults rather than children who must be shielded from some of life's inescapable truths, perhaps the response will be more mature. 

Personally, I am more unnerved by the lack of clear information and the feeling of spin, than I am of the possibility that covid is "in the community" again.  It doesn't have to be information that could identify anyone, just honesty and reassurance that measures such as track and trace are in hand and that they are on top of it.  Or, tbh, yep, we are worried that it is out there so please increase your vigilance and take steps to protect yourself while we figure this out. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1