IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Well the problem really is that the words "community case" will invoke irrational melt down of many people.  Possibly more importantly many companies will panic (,(we saw this with Zurich etc recently) and send everyone back to working from home.  Causing further unnecessary damage to the economy.

I would much prefer we were not told the truth really.  It's only going to escalate numbers wise in the coming month as students return.  I'll be surprised if the whole household isn't forced into isolation for returning students.  Many finance sector companies have that policy anyway (keeping you away from work for two weeks if you have someone returning from the uk) so the only real challenge with that is key workers (and those who cannot work from home) on island i would imagine.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Well the problem really is that the words "community case" will invoke irrational melt down of many people.  Possibly more importantly many companies will panic (,(we saw this with Zurich etc recently) and send everyone back to working from home.  Causing further unnecessary damage to the economy.

I would much prefer we were not told the truth really.  It's only going to escalate numbers wise in the coming month as students return.  I'll be surprised if the whole household isn't forced into isolation for returning students.  Many finance sector companies have that policy anyway (keeping you away from work for two weeks if you have someone returning from the uk) so the only real challenge with that is key workers (and those who cannot work from home) on island i would imagine.

I agree with much of this other than having the truth held back.

Be careful what you wish for.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Nom de plume said:

I agree with much of this other than having the truth held back.

Be careful what you wish for.

I agree trying to stop the nutters melting down is no excuse for not telling the public the truth. But the strategy being adopted makes it clear that calming the Facebook Karen’s down is the overriding objective and strategy of our government. It has been from the start leading to a huge perceived lack of honesty from those who understand the issues and just want to be kept informed so they can best manage their own risks. 

Many people who have managed their own risks right from the start of this just want to be told the truth so they can take the best action in order to continue to manage their own risks. It’s the same argument as testing. If we still had testing outputs and data from the 7 Day testing that was withdrawn people could decide whether to take that business trip, or take their kid back to Uni, based on the published transmission patterns from people who had visited U.K hotspots and tested positive or negative. But all of that has been denied Manx residents in favour of this eradication policy and suppressing information so people can’t make informed choices. When you can’t make informed choices you just have to accept the enforced belief that you can’t go anywhere and the can’t do anything as you might die of covid and you might bring covid back which will kill people. It’s all nonsense to be honest. Informed choice based on clear published scientific outputs was always the best way to go rather than living in a culture of manufactured fear and misinformation (or no information at all in many cases). It actually feeds the Facebook crazies more by removing actual facts to push back on them with.

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 4

A community case is where you don't know where you caught it, and hadn't travelled, as happened in Guernsey.

It's been said as clearly as can be that the two positives are closely linked (household members) of someone who was positive after catching it in England.

If those two accidentally spread it in Tesco and a random person catches it, that's a community case.

The deniers can put their pitchforks back in the shed.

Edited by tetchtyke
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, tetchtyke said:

A community case is where you don't know where you caught it, and hadn't travelled, as happened in Guernsey.

It's been said as clearly as can be that the two positives are closely linked (household members) of someone who was positive after catching it in England.

If those two accidentally spread it in Tesco and a random person catches it, that's a community case.

The deniers can put their pitchforks back in the shed.

I don't believe it to be of same household.

But if it is - or is portrayed to be such - you can foresee this being a catalyst for Howard to get things tightened up in his infinite wisdom.

9 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Given what I have heard about this little group of cases and how things are being run up at Noble's the senior hospital management will have a lot of questions to answer over the upcoming days.

I agree but the answers will not be put in the public domain I'll wager

1 hour ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Many finance sector companies have that policy anyway (keeping you away from work for two weeks if you have someone returning from the uk)

It's not only the responsible thing to do ahead of vaccinations next year, it also makes sense from a business perspective.

1 hour ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

send everyone back to working from home.  Causing further unnecessary damage to the economy.

Many people will work from home much more even after this thing is over. There are lots of positives - including people often being able to get more hours out of the working day.

• Confused 1

The WHO 'technical definition' is quite vague really:

"- Community transmission: Countries/area/territories experiencing larger outbreaks of local transmission defined through an assessment of factors including, but not limited to: - Large numbers of cases not linkable to transmission chains - Large numbers of cases from sentinel lab surveillance - Multiple unrelated clusters in several areas of the country/territory/area."

But this was identified through contact tracing, and all apparently came from a traveler.

The real question to ask is - is anyone in that contact tracing chain being protected from prosecution for breaching the rules this time? And if so - why?

There may be a legitimate reason for that such as a child or a less able person inadvertently breaching the rules? Even if there was a 'legitimate or non-prosecutable excuse', it is highly likely that data protection concerns would be used to maintain the invisibility of that source of infection.

So technically the government here are hiding behind the definition of community spread - but should also reassure us that no one is avoiding prosecution in this case - something on which they have previous form.

11 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:
11 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

Don't like the look of this, worth a quick read.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-54906644

Giving those clowns more power is not a good idea.

Considering our Minister for Policy and Reform is a total bell-end that’s worrying. Where was the public debate around this?

This is a a worrying development. Do you think they know something we don't ?