IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

34 minutes ago, pongo said:

It's not only the responsible thing to do ahead of vaccinations next year, it also makes sense from a business perspective.

Many people will work from home much more even after this thing is over. There are lots of positives - including people often being able to get more hours out of the working day.

Those working extra are balanced off by those hiding and doing as little as possible.  I've seen this first hand.

From a business perspective it's largely over cautious but of course you have to make policies to pacify the lowest common denominator.  Again, I have direct experience of this.

• Like 2

Regarding returning students I know of a few that are back and sensible arrangements are in place but what disturbed me was the education dept. sent an email to all students advising them about travel and isolation and offering help unfortunately a good many did not even bother to reply.  How long does it take to reply to an email ?   Most of the students will be great but as most groups there are always the few.   Leaving the term student to and side it is a large group of people who are coming over in a relatively short period of time.   If they cannot take a minute to reply to an email they are not going to be worried about isolation rules.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

If they cannot take a minute to reply to an email they are not going to be worried about isolation rules.

That is a giant leap of logic.  There would be outrage if any students are denied re-entry for Xmas, and rightly so.  If you are worried, lock yourself away, don't demonise a whole section of society just to make you feel better.  This really is getting out of hand. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Leaving the term student to and side it is a large group of people who are coming over in a relatively short period of time. 

You mean like “key workers” who can come and go and not self-isolate and go about their business digging holes in the prom just wearing masks and different coloured hats for a week or so? You seem to be worrying in completely the wrong place to justify your Daily Mail fueled student hating. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Confused 1

Chill Gladys, I am not demonizing anyone the students I know of are sensible and have accepted the conditions and are concerned for their parents and grandparents and the Island population in general they just want to be home and enjoy the holidays with their families but it is disappointing that so many could not take a minute to reply to a government department that is genuinely trying to assist with accommodation and any other problems.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gladys said:

That is a giant leap of logic.  There would be outrage if any students are denied re-entry for Xmas, and rightly so.  If you are worried, lock yourself away, don't demonise a whole section of society just to make you feel better.  This really is getting out of hand. 

That's an age thing. He doesn't know any better. I agree with you.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Chill Gladys, I am not demonizing anyone the students I know of are sensible and have accepted the conditions and are concerned for their parents and grandparents and the Island population in general they just want to be home and enjoy the holidays with their families but it is disappointing that so many could not take a minute to reply to a government department that is genuinely trying to assist with accommodation and any other problems.

So why post it?  Just more scaremongering.  Perhaps the email was not explicit that it needed a reply and some interpreted it as for reply only if they needed some assistance. 

Also, I am sure most of the students would manage a couple of full stops in their email replies. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

I always think when you post this sort of thing you are simply making it up.

Why would you think that? I know of several students who never got the email and who contacted the department to find that they had an out of date email address. Some probably also went to spam etc. That will explain why some didn’t reply. To suggest people didn’t reply just because they don’t care is simply being an idiot. Apparently you dont want to know the truth anyway so why does it concern you so much? 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

1 minute ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Why would you think that? I know of several students who never got the email and who contacted the department to find that they had an out of date email address. That will explain why some didn’t reply. To suggest people didn’t reply just because they don’t care is simply being an idiot. 

It just seems like the same old bullshit to me.  "I know of several".  How many times do you post that guff to try and validate your point?

In reality it'll be a very small number who change email addresses.  Plus it would be delusional to believe students in general do not know the position (contacted by email or not).

• Like 2