IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Well, storing the word accommodation over and over seems like poor optimization anyway. But as a general rule of thumb, databases and data-entry should be designed so you can't make those sorts of mistakes.

Yes, we used to do that with a decent education system where we were all taught to use the same spelling.

I don't think there are many of those tbf trmpt. You explained your family position really well and most of us understand that we're not talking about hols and jolls here.

We're ultimately balancing risk against reward. The risk of unrestricted travel and the ills it may bring, against the reward of a number of individuals with family issues. At the moment we're leaning towards the many rather than the few.

Just now, Barlow said:

Yes, we used to do that with a decent education system where we were all taught to use the same spelling.

Well, from a pure optimisation or optimization standpoint, as you fancy. Note how spellings vary across the pond too. Oh and how language is a fluid evolving thing. Look at how we once spelt words like vyolence, whiche, fayth

Little hypothetical scenario:

We're storing the category of a certain type of building, classifying accommodation, commercial, industrial. Or along those lines. 

Would it make more sense to put a text box where someone might define it as a shop? or as a drop-down selection where they can choose one of the 3 categories you're interested in?

Now. Of course, if we're looking at large scale databases, it's far better to do the latter. You'd not store the name of the type, you'd store a number or id associated with that category.

That's far less expensive from a processor perspective to compare and you don't have to worry about the length of text you're needing to store.

Spelling may be a bugbear of yours, but it doesn't stop modern systems working as a rule of thumb.

4 hours ago, Nom de plume said:

When did the policy shift from virus mitigation to eradication as Dr. Allinson gently slipped in yesterday on the radio?

Presumably a long time ago when they discovered that virus eradication locally was possible and brought all sort of benefits, while virus mitigation has probed to be pretty much impossible everywhere (I'd be genuinely interested to know what countries/areas people think have been able achieve a constant low level of in-community cases).  Instead countries have needed to  impose strong lockdown measures that suppress infection almost entirely (as we saw in the UK) which then have to be repeated all over again.

I know I keep saying this, but you can't have a little bit of an epidemic anymore than you can be a little bit pregnant.  

• Thanks 2

Watched a Sky News interview last night, a Professor Christina Sagel who is a member of the UK Gov's SAGE committee.

She proceeded to absolutely slate UK Gov's response to the virus (the interview was precipitated by the news that UK COVID deaths had exceeded 50k and drew comparisons with April statements hoping for @ 20k), by stating that the first and now the second lockdowns were respectively implemented far too late and that scientific advice had been ignored. It also cast doubt on what will happen at the conclusion of the second lockdown.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, trmpton said:

David Ashford on Manx Radio stating he believes  data from 7/10 or 14 day testing would be useful, but then going on to say the test is unpleasant and he doesn’t think they would get much take up.

Jesus.  Seems to be everyone apart from HQ and a few on here agree with the rest of the world and building some useful data.

Not sure the health minister should really be saying things that might put people off volunteering for a test either 

Yes it’s unpleasant but only takes 20/30 seconds for both swabs, I had the 7 days one before Howie scrapped.

there has to be an incentive to have it and the 7 days outside for walks etc was it and many took the test as the numbers show. They could amend the 7 days testing rules to say you can’t go inside anywhere including essential shops to ease the complaints 

13 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Presumably a long time ago when they discovered that virus eradication locally was possible and brought all sort of benefits, while virus mitigation has probed to be pretty much impossible everywhere (I'd be genuinely interested to know what countries/areas people think have been able achieve a constant low level of in-community cases).  Instead countries have needed to  impose strong lockdown measures that suppress infection almost entirely (as we saw in the UK) which then have to be repeated all over again.

I know I keep saying this, but you can't have a little bit of an epidemic anymore than you can be a little bit pregnant.  

Well let’s see.  Guernsey had a cases in the wild that led to at least 8 others and controlled it.

Sounds like we have had similar (although we know the source) and hopefully have caught and contained it.

Jersey have “cases” found through testing but about half have no symptoms and are all now isolating and none in hospital.

It doesn’t have to be all or nothing.  It’s relieving to hear Dr Allison confirming the obvious that it’s a case of if and not when, and that we need measures in place.  Also David Ashford confirming that he is an advocate of more testing

I hope that slowly common sense will see through and HQ will face more resistance to what is more and more starting to look like a policy based on his own views.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Well let’s see.  Guernsey had a cases in the wild that led to at least 8 others and controlled it.

Sounds like we have had similar (although we know the source) and hopefully have caught and contained it.

A policy of local eradication doesn't mean that there won't be local clusters sometimes, just that you control and contain them rigorously when they happen.  This seems to have happened with the latest one in Guernsey, but they were  more open about it.  Not as open as they could be - New Zealand will happily say that someone infect was at such a place at such times, so people will know if they could have been in casual contact, though they don't name individuals.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

Testing 3 times in isolation of 10 days seems a good policy therefore no chance of Isle of Man adopting it!!

https://www.channel103.com/news/jersey-news/red-arrival-isolation-rules-to-be-eased/

Actually it's a bad idea (effectively reducing quarantine from 14 to 10 days), though I suppose you could argue that Jersey is itself a red zone under its own rules.  But when viral prevalence is so high, the 5-10% who only test positive in the 10-14 day period won't be anywhere like zero.  More testing is good, but they may be doing that anyway.

2 hours ago, trmpton said:

David Ashford on Manx Radio stating he believes  data from 7/10 or 14 day testing would be useful, but then going on to say the test is unpleasant and he doesn’t think they would get much take up.

Jesus.  Seems to be everyone apart from HQ and a few on here agree with the rest of the world and building some useful data.

Not sure the health minister should really be saying things that might put people off volunteering for a test either 

He also said there were legal difficulties around mandatory testing.  There are several responses to that. 

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

He also said there were legal difficulties around mandatory testing.  There are several responses to that. 

Yep.  If you want to travel you agree to testing.  Plenty of other countries doing it and we are meant to be a small government who can react quickly and nimbly to changing circumstances.

The quote from the guy at fedelta summed it up for me.  His staff member refused a test by 111 because it don’t fit all the boxes they need to tick, depots the company offering to pay and us Harley testing anyone when we apparently have loads of spare capacity.

7 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It medical ethics, the medics detail the risk and the patient who takes the risk decides. I am waiting by phone and be down doctors like shot when I get call and telling others to do same thing.  

28 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Yep.  If you want to travel you agree to testing.  Plenty of other countries doing it and we are meant to be a small government who can react quickly and nimbly to changing circumstances.

Has that been confirmed yet please?