IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

Say you could book and pay for a test at the government lab for your travel so you did so, two weeks in advance of your flight to Hong Kong so you could get it just before you leave, and then suddenly they needed to test loads of people after a potential outbreak and cancelled your test as a voluntary one. That would be a shit situation.

It's possibly sort of far fetched thinking like that that is stopping them.

Just now, TheTeapot said:

Say you could book and pay for a test at the government lab for your travel so you did so, two weeks in advance of your flight to Hong Kong so you could get it just before you leave, and then suddenly they needed to test loads of people after a potential outbreak and cancelled your test as a voluntary one. That would be a shit situation.

It's possibly sort of far fetched thinking like that that is stopping them.

That's a lot of thinking for people who tend to not do that much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, John Wright said:

The refusal or neglect to provide paid for testing is crazy. I’m booked to travel at Christmas. Booked a year ago. Not sure if I’ll go. Much will depend on how Covid pans out. If I go I’m staying in a place that’s had 1 case in 9 months. So safer than IOM.

My destination now requires an undetectable PCR Covid test taken and processed within 72 hours before arrival. Forget the arguments about efficacy, it just does, at least if you arrive by air or sea ( but not if you drive over the land border).

It doesn’t allow for the quick tests and self administered courier delivered tests are risky from two weaknesses, time, and the ability to sample correctly to get a viable sample.

I’ve  looked at breaking my journey to get tested. Two tests, en route, £298, yes, £149 each.

The sound of Viola?  No,much smaller than that.

26 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’d lump your 6 with my 5.

Going off island is just a prelude to returning though? Isn’t it.

Nothing like a mixed metaphor, but it’s a fairly accurate description of other wise voiceless politically powerless women making their point. There’s a James Garner Dick van Dyke film where they ( the tricoteuse) sit, knitting, screaming “ to the guillotines” during a trial. I suppose it’s like the Queen in Alice!

Is there no private lab on island you can use for a private test? Are you going to Spain? We are hoping to go in January/February so if you get test done please post where you were able to get one.

1 minute ago, Banker said:

Is there no private lab on island you can use for a private test? Are you going to Spain? We are hoping to go in January/February so if you get test done please post where you were able to get one.

No lab here, other than government, with capacity to do PCR. It’s quite an expensive bit of kit.

Theres nothing in Lancaster or Preston. So it’s a diversion to Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, or Southampton.

Plenty of places show on line in a Google search, but you’ve got to be careful it’s not a courier one, or a home test. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

Independant Medical Services in Douglas but they have to send them away, hence the wait in the UK for the results before your onward journey.

12 hours ago, Lxxx said:

Independant Medical Services in Douglas but they have to send them away, hence the wait in the UK for the results before your onward journey.

They’re expensive, at £175, no lab here, it’s just a professional sample taker, plus you have to go to Post Office HQ and do a guaranteed next day delivery to the lab in england, and it’s 24 hours from receipt by the lab.  So it’s 40 hours minimum before results are available. May be longer. Monday/Tuesday arrivals in foreign country are out as you can’t be tested over the weekend. In fact a test on a Friday is probably not going to work. And so on.

42 minutes ago, Banker said:

I'm working on whether this is a feasibility for my lab in Onchan at the moment. Likelihood is that we need to make modifications to the lab to protect the staff and then get the appropriate "rubber stamps" from the certification authorities in the UK. Even if it looks feasible it wouldn't be operational until the new year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rachomics said:

I'm working on whether this is a feasibility for my lab in Onchan at the moment. Likelihood is that we need to make modifications to the lab to protect the staff and then get the appropriate "rubber stamps" from the certification authorities in the UK. Even if it looks feasible it wouldn't be operational until the new year. 

That would be fantastic as until the vaccine gets rolled out fully there will be increasing demands from countries for negative tests

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

That would be fantastic as until the vaccine gets rolled out fully there will be increasing demands from countries for negative tests

As the UK Head of the Vaccine Task Force said any vaccine would only be 50% effective at best and Dr Anthony Fauci, Head of Infectious Diseases in the US, said the early vaccines will only stop symptoms not the spread of the virus, then we'll probably still have to test individuals who have had the vaccine anyway. 

34 minutes ago, John Wright said:

They’re expensive, at £175, plus you have to go to Post Office HQ and do a guaranteed next day delivery to the lab in england, and it’s 24 hours from receipt by the lab.  So it’s 40 hours minimum before results are available. May be longer. Monday/Tuesday arrivals in foreign country are out as you can’t be tested over the weekend. In fact a test on a Friday is probably not going to work. And so on.

It's the best we have at the moment though as far as I am aware.

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

So, there are three possibilities:-

1.  Some bright spark has found ancient legislation which prohibits government charging for tests,or

2. The real objective is to limit testing - Lord knows why when the early mantra was test, test, test, or

3.  They are trying to set up some new type of testing or reagent supply. 

2 is a feeling we've gotten for a long time from the lack of surveillance testing of arrivals. Even sampled, it'd provide useful data to understand what's going on.

3 is probably not unlikely, after all, the current supplier is run by what might be deemed as whom they see as being a Big Scary Loose Cannon.

7 hours ago, buncha wankas said:

And Rachel whomever she is would be raking it in

ready to retest entire nation again 2 months later.  ching ching 

Wise up, commercial business wants more recognition and sub contractor pay check, hardly NEWS.     The woman is one of a team of ‘experts’ doing the profession they are paid to do, TEAM!  Like the rest of the island who are doing their bit.  
 I certainly would not want her testing me, my missus or the kids as she quite obviously doesn’t understand ‘trust and confidentiality’.   

fancy yourselves as Manxileaks via this forum to get pay check back on track. 

You're making some pretty broad accusations there.

Arguably, there have been procurement issues for various services in the UK, but that's not unusual. Given that it's not uncommon for Tory mates to be awarded contracts for things. It's just the way they have it.

Over here on the other hand, they're using an old machine that was barely used until now from DEFRA, and reagants are supplied at cost to Rachel. The rest is done in Noble's by a team of their microbiologists. Of which Rachel happened to be one, notably being treated as staff, rather than being paid contractor rates which would have you up in arms if you heard rates for someone of her caliber at the moment.

Re: confidentiality, there's been no evidence of Rachel saying anything she shouldn't. If there was, certain people would be all over it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2