IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

Which is why there should be a lab and service here. It wouldn’t work for me as I depart Sunday and arrive Wednesday. Test on Friday wouldn’t work. Which is why I’m going to a testing place in UK. I’ve a day in England all day on the Monday.

For anyone else in this situation there is an alternative of staying at the Sofitel at Heathrow and having a test overnight. I haven't yet used it myself ...

https://all.accor.com/promotions-offers/package-offers/owm012887-001-test-and-rest.en.shtml

One thing comes to mind though ... am I right in assuming that travelling to the UK and having a positive result there would then mean it is not possible to travel but equally it would be impossible to then return the the IOM as well ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, VikingRaider said:

For anyone else in this situation there is an alternative of staying at the Sofitel at Heathrow and having a test overnight. I haven't yet used it myself ...

https://all.accor.com/promotions-offers/package-offers/owm012887-001-test-and-rest.en.shtml

One thing comes to mind though ... am I right in assuming that travelling to the UK and having a positive result there would then mean it is not possible to travel but equally it would be impossible to then return the the IOM as well ?

No reason you can't travel back here as long as you self isolate. 

10 minutes ago, VikingRaider said:

Good point, it would be terrible to become seriously ill following a positive test, but trapped in limbo.

2 minutes ago, VikingRaider said:

Not sure how many Manxies travel anywhere via Heathrow nowadays.

Im going on the boat, staying in Morecambe, then driving to Portsmouth for a second overnight, before catching a ferry with 07.00 Check-In. I’ve got a spare day in England. 

Reason for slow routing is winter and if my Steam Packet sailing is cancelled I’ve two more I can catch and still make my connection. I booked a year ago. Plus I’m calling into Booths to pick up some Christmas click & collect food.

Of course a 2 sailing delay would bugger up testing in UK on way down. That, and the issue you identify, is why testing here would be good. The risk of Covid being detected  in a Manx resident must be very low. 

Just in case it all goes wrong I’ve got a Tesco Xmas delivery slot booked which I can cancel if we get away and, in case we make it, a click & collect at the nearest supermarket to our destination is booked on Xmas Eve.

1 minute ago, Lxxx said:

No reason you can't travel back here as long as you self isolate. 

You aren’t supposed to travel if detected. Certainly not get on the boat or a plane. You’re supposed to self isolate immediately you get a positive result.

So as I suspected a positive test in the UK means you are trapped there for 14 days.

Quote from the IOM Landing Form Confirmation email :

You MUST NOT travel if you have symptoms of COVID-19, had a positive COVID-19 test in the last 14 days or been asked to self-isolate in the last 14 days as a high risk contact of a positive case of COVID-19.

1 minute ago, pongo said:

You must really want to go, to be bothering with all that palaver and cost.

For a lot of people the island was a relatively accessible base in which to conduct the rest of your life, business interests etc... Many will be re-evaluating that in 2021.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VikingRaider said:

So as I suspected a positive test in the UK means you are trapped there for 14 days.

You MUST NOT travel if you have symptoms of COVID-19, had a positive COVID-19 test in the last 14 days or been asked to self-isolate in the last 14 days as a high risk contact of a positive case of COVID-19.

How many would admit to a positive test and be stuck in UK for 14 days?

6 minutes ago, VikingRaider said:

Absolutely. You have to comply with the law of the land wherever you are and if the law says you can't travel then you can't. 

In any event why would anyone travel if they had the virus unless they didn't give a shit about the welfare of anyone else?

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You aren’t supposed to travel if detected. Certainly not get on the boat or a plane. You’re supposed to self isolate immediately you get a positive result.

You may not be supposed to but if you are holed up in the Sofitel at Heathrow Airport when you get your diagnosis and you have nowhere suitable to self isolate (I don't know what hotel policy is in this instance) then some may wish to travel back home. I don't know what the legal stance on this is, if any. 

1 minute ago, Lxxx said:

You may not be supposed to but if you are holed up in the Sofitel at Heathrow Airport when you get your diagnosis and you have nowhere suitable to self isolate (I don't know what hotel policy is in this instance) then some may wish to travel back home. I don't know what the legal stance on this is, if any. 

I set it out for you. That’s the legal position under the regulations.

1 minute ago, Lxxx said:

My travel insurance now covers COVID and all associated costs if positive as long as travel to countries not on FCO no travel list