IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

My travel insurance now covers COVID and all associated costs if positive as long as travel to countries not on FCO no travel list 

Good point and thinking back my travel insurer did outline that fact on the phone when I enquired. Although they did specify it was only valid if classed as essential travel, which business travel qualified as under their policies.

Edited by Lxxx

8 minutes ago, pongo said:

You must really want to go, to be bothering with all that palaver and cost.

All booked November last year. Brittany Ferries won’t refund if they sail and I don’t. Insurance won’t cover. Do the ferry & drive down 3 times a year on average, dogs, boxes of stuff to go out there, bring back wines etc.

7 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

You may not be supposed to but if you are holed up in the Sofitel at Heathrow Airport when you get your diagnosis and you have nowhere suitable to self isolate (I don't know what hotel policy is in this instance) then some may wish to travel back home. I don't know what the legal stance on this is, if any. 

If the law says self isolate then that's the law. The hotel wouldn't be in a position to shift you unless there was some arrangement with the authorities in place...oh and you would still be liable for your extended stay hotel tab.

1 minute ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

If the law says self isolate then that's the law. The hotel wouldn't be in a position to shift you unless there was some arrangement with the authorities in place...oh and you would still be liable for your extended stay hotel tab.

And Sofitel ain’t cheap. Even with a Accor loyalty card.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, VikingRaider said:

For anyone else in this situation there is an alternative of staying at the Sofitel at Heathrow and having a test overnight. I haven't yet used it myself ...

https://all.accor.com/promotions-offers/package-offers/owm012887-001-test-and-rest.en.shtml

One thing comes to mind though ... am I right in assuming that travelling to the UK and having a positive result there would then mean it is not possible to travel but equally it would be impossible to then return the the IOM as well ?

As far as I know there is no facility to transport covid positive patients who need care across ( could be for totally unrelated conditions to the virus )  .

So there will not be any possibility of travel either off or on to island if someone is positive. 

So if someone needs  a lifesaving surgery etc  across and if they test positive they have to be managed at nobles.

2 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

As far as I know there is no facility to transport covid positive patients who need care across ( could be for totally unrelated conditions to the virus )  .

So there will not be any possibility of travel either off or on to island if someone is positive. 

So if someone needs  a lifesaving surgery etc  across and if they test positive they have to be managed at nobles.

Last week someone got flown away on a coastguard helicopter as the air ambulance was already in use so I'm sure in the case of 'life saving surgery' there are options.

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Last week someone got flown away on a coastguard helicopter as the air ambulance was already in use so I'm sure in the case of 'life saving surgery' there are options.

Was that person covid positive ? . It is the covid positive patients who will have the problem. I've heard that the air ambulance will not transport covid positive patients anyway..

Edited by mad_manx

2 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

For a lot of people the island was a relatively accessible base in which to conduct the rest of your life, business interests etc... Many will be re-evaluating that in 2021.

Perhaps it works both ways. I'm sure many people will rather like the idea of living in a somewhat gated community with political stability and ubiquitous fibre (coming soon).

Covid seems certain to accelerate many related trends internationally - even as we gradually get back to normal, some things will have changed forever. Blah blah blah the death of cash etc - but also things like health passports, working remotely, local lockdowns, increased economic intervention etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mad_manx said:

Was that person covid positive ? . It is the covid positive patients who will have the problem.

I've no idea, it's pretty unlikely, but I'm sure they'll have something in place for emergencies, they're not going to turn someone down if they really need to be in a hospital across.

11 minutes ago, pongo said:

Perhaps it works both ways. I'm sure many people will rather like the idea of living in a somewhat gated community with political stability and ubiquitous fibre (coming soon).

Covid seems certain to accelerate many related trends internationally - even as we gradually get back to normal, some things will have changed forever. Blah blah blah the death of cash etc - but also things like health passports, working remotely, local lockdowns, increased economic intervention etc.

Absolutely.  For example it's now possible to pay with a card in almost all local shops. I think over the last few months I've had to pay with cash only once .

4 hours ago, Gladys said:

Thank you.  I do hope HQ and DA watch that, in its entirety, as there are some very important messages.

Dollin Mercer is leaving Manx Radio to work for the government. Another decent presenter lost to the puerility that Manx Radio has become.

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, pongo said:

Agreed. However the island can't solely rely on cultivating an image of a safe but cold and wet tax-friendly jurisdiction surrounded by a moat (for added security) forever.

There needs to be a plan to keep us connected and plugged in, physically, to the global economy to encourage inward investment. It's not sustainable for us think this isn't vitally important. 

Edited by Lxxx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2