IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

51 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

For a lot of people the island was a relatively accessible base in which to conduct the rest of your life, business interests etc... Many will be re-evaluating that in 2021.

Yep. The world has changed. But where are they going to go? If they find somewhere, aye good riddance I say.

It's been over a decade since I had a foreign holiday. I hear people who talk about living in the Isle of Man as can become like living in a submarine, and they need to get off a few times a year. They are friends and work colleagues, otherwise I would just say "well fuck off then".

I can hear them in my imagination boring people in a bar or restaurant or on some sandy far-off beach, how they are "from the Isle of Man and how wonderful it is and how they yearn to be back there whenever they are away." etc

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Yep. The world has changed. But where are they going to go? If they find somewhere, aye good riddance I say.

It's been over a decade since I had a foreign holiday. I hear people who talk about living in the Isle of Man as can become like living in a submarine, and they need to get off a few times a year. They are friends and work colleagues, otherwise I would just say "well fuck off then".

I can hear them in my imagination boring people in a bar or restaurant or on some sandy far-off beach, how they are "from the Isle of Man and how wonderful it is and how they yearn to be back there whenever they are away." etc

Sounds like you’re the bore and your friends & colleagues go away to escape you 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Banker said:

Sounds like you’re the bore and your friends & colleagues go away to escape you 😂

Yep, as a student I was that bore. Hands up to it. And for a few years after when I worked in UK. The Isle of Man was the true centre of the world. I think we've just about all been there to some extent.

Recently friends went on a cruise and on the ship were another couple from IoM. They knew them, or rather who they were, but not vice versa.

Do you come clean and introduce yourself or stay schtumm - a bit of a dilemma if you think about it.

Anyway they managed to keep out of their way except in the dining room where they had to endure the loudmouth telling whoever he was talking to particularly, and everyone generally, about the Isle of Man, the Isle of Man, the Isle of Man.

Edited by Barlow

It's interesting that in Ireland, they are telling those living away to stay the fuck away (or words to that effect) over Christmas:

Covid-19: Irish abroad should abandon plans to come home for Christmas, Holohan says

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-irish-abroad-should-abandon-plans-to-come-home-for-christmas-holohan-says-1.4407940?mode=amp

Christmas visits home will be regarded as non-essential travel and are not recommended, he said.

Well Mr Ashford, what do you have to say to that? It seems perfectly reasonable to me. 

Tell you what, if any of the returnees to the Island can show they usually go to Church to celebrate Christmas, then bring them home. Otherwise stay the fuck where you are and watch telly and get pissed and pig out on a carry out KFC for Christmas dinner.

Edited by Barlow
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Barlow said:

It's interesting that in Ireland, they are telling those living away to stay the fuck away (or words to that effect) over Christmas:

Covid-19: Irish abroad should abandon plans to come home for Christmas, Holohan says

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-irish-abroad-should-abandon-plans-to-come-home-for-christmas-holohan-says-1.4407940?mode=amp

Christmas visits home will be regarded as non-essential travel and are not recommended, he said.

Well Mr Ashford, what do you have to say to that? It seems perfectly reasonable to me. 

Tell you what, if any of the returnees to the Island can show they usually go to Church to celebrate Christmas, then bring them home. Otherwise stay the fuck where you are and watch telly and get pissed and pig out on a carry out KFC for Christmas dinner.

Let's be better than behaving like other jurisdictions who seem to have lost all semblance of sanity and humanity during this period. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Let's be better than behaving like other jurisdictions who seem to have lost all semblance of sanity and humanity during this period. 

Yep of course. It does put things into perspective though.

It's only Christmas. As far as I'm concerned that died when you could walk down the supermarket on Christmas Day (I might mean Boxing Day, it's all the same these days).

There's a pandemic going on, rightly or wrongly.

Won't somebody think of the students

2 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Yep of course. It does put things into perspective though.

It's only Christmas. As far as I'm concerned that died when you could walk down the supermarket on Christmas Day (I might mean Boxing Day, it's all the same these days).

There's a pandemic going on, rightly or wrongly.

Won't somebody think of the students

You've been consuming too much media. Let's genuinely get things in perspective.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Link for anyone interested here:

Very informative.

Dr Glover spelt out one clear take away for me which was: given the incubation period of this disease and whole households isolating for 14 days (2 weeks) with returning residents/students...that if more comprehensive testing is not carried out in the second isolation week for these households then there is a much higher risk of the disease spreading.

i.e. An asymptomatic carrier could infect the household anywhere between 3 and 7 days later and then that household could be highly infectious to others on the day of their release from isolation AND several days after.

Given the numbers returning, and without more whole-household testing in week 2, this highlights the very high probability that we  WILL see a number of clusters appearing here in the two weeks before Christmas and probably a far larger number of clusters over the holiday.

Packed shops, pubs and venues in the holiday build up will be rife for spreading this virus...and then as generations meet over the holiday week - things could get really serious here again.

Given the large numbers returning, AND given they have the testing capability, Government need to introduce a negative test on day 14 as a prerequisite for release from isolation. Otherwise Probability 101 suggests we will be in big trouble here by January.

We seem to be sleep-walking into an avoidable situation currently -particularly as the testing capability is simply not being used. This is solely down to politicians.

15 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Very informative.

Dr Glover spelt out one clear take away for me which was: given the incubation period of this disease and whole households isolating for 14 days (2 weeks) with returning residents/students...that if more comprehensive testing is not carried out in the second isolation week for these households then there is a much higher risk of the disease spreading.

i.e. An asymptomatic carrier could infect the household anywhere between 3 and 7 days later and then that household could be highly infectious to others on the day of their release from isolation AND several days after.

Given the numbers returning, and without more whole-household testing in week 2, this highlights the very high probability that we  WILL see a number of clusters appearing here in the two weeks before Christmas and probably a far larger number of clusters over the holiday.

Packed shops, pubs and venues in the holiday build up will be rife for spreading this virus...and then as generations meet over the holiday week - things could get really serious here again.

Given the large numbers returning, AND given they have the testing capability, Government need to introduce a negative test on day 14 as a prerequisite for release from isolation. Otherwise Probability 101 suggests we will be in big trouble here by January.

We seem to be sleep-walking into an avoidable situation currently -particularly as the testing capability is simply not being used. This is solely down to politicians.

You worry too much. Life is shit , then you die , is how relevant?