IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 minute ago, Cambon said:

I heard Abbotswood was to reopen imminently as Silverdale Nursing Home. I could be wrong? 

Yes I heard they’re reopening, there’s a  massive demand for spaces down south, not sure who the operator is or where they’re getting staff from 

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

So, they are happy to licence this company to operate again even though the investigation isn't complete?  Or am I missing something? 

Yep, because from what I know... there's no case to answer on anything in respect of COVID mishandling. The rozzers are looking at one or two other things that their evidence gathering pulled up, but that's it.

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

So, they are happy to licence this company to operate again even though the investigation isn't complete?  Or am I missing something? 

I think there are numerous criminal investigations, owners, lessors, operators, managers, staff. Some may be complete, and nfa.

22 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

I'd argue from what I know that the DHSC is responsible for more deaths at Abbotswood than should have happened.

It's a mess and another example of where Lord Quayle, Lord Ashford MBE and DHSC can't bring themselves to admit they were wrong on something. 

I suspect there are at least two areas where there may be DHSC culpability.  Firstly in the refusal to supply the higher level of PPE that was required and secondly in actions where they took over the running of the place in what was, by some accounts, an unprofessional manner.  It may also be that they way they reacted when Abbotswood became overwhelmed because of the number of patients ill and staff off ill/quarantined made things worse.

There may well be some mitigating factors in this - they were dealing with a new situation after all - but the refusal to admit any fault, the lack of openness and implicit attempt to blame others all reveal a corporate culture that make such things inevitable.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I suspect there are at least two areas where there may be DHSC culpability.  Firstly in the refusal to supply the higher level of PPE that was required and secondly in actions where they took over the running of the place in what was, by some accounts, an unprofessional manner.  It may also be that they way they reacted when Abbotswood became overwhelmed because of the number of patients ill and staff off ill/quarantined made things worse.

There may well be some mitigating factors in this - they were dealing with a new situation after all - but the refusal to admit any fault, the lack of openness and implicit attempt to blame others all reveal a corporate culture that make such things inevitable.

DHSC will admit to nothing... no government department will or they'll leave themselves wide open to case after case of litigation.

Not admitting any errors (accidentally or otherwise) forces the other side to prove negligence and once the papers have been served there'll be a settlement out of court. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

DHSC will admit to nothing... no government department will or they'll leave themselves wide open to case after case of litigation.

Not admitting any errors (accidentally or otherwise) forces the other side to prove negligence and once the papers have been served there'll be a settlement out of court. 

.... with a confidentiality clause.

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But it's not really clear that "Trust me, I'm not a doctor" is working that well for Quayle and his merry men at the moment.  And respect can only be earned not demanded.  All they seem to demonstrating at the moment is that the only thing that matters to them is the massaging of their egos, rather than doing the correct thing for the people of the Island.

The real problem may simply be down to the fact they don't really understand what science is and how it operates.  And this is a crisis that can only be dealt with by being informed by the current science at every stage.

I quite agree. realistically speaking though DA and HQ are not totally stupid. They know what the public are feeling right now as some of our MHKs are giving them clear signals about that. 

So why do they persevere with this approach that really just shows how out of control it has all become. 

1 hour ago, NoTailT said:

Getting brushed under the carpet and due to reopen in a few weeks.

My understanding is that the police investigation is ongoing, all the senior management were interviewed about 2-3 weeks ago and at the moment there is nothing prominent, more a clutching of straws. But a wider refusal by DHSC or the Gov to accept it was one of them things that happened and nobody is really to blame, although I'd argue from what I know that the DHSC is responsible for more deaths at Abbotswood than should have happened.

I'll bet it has changed the way Registrations and Inspections are carried out and reported on in future.....

Once the vaccine is rolled out I hope they issue a vaccination certificate

I can envisage this would be a prized document for hassle free travel 

Easier than getting a PCR test done and certified within 72 hours of every intention to travel 

Edited by snowman
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, snowman said:

Once the vaccine is rolled out I hope they issue a vaccination certificate

I can envisage this would be a prized document for hassle free travel 

Easier than getting a PCR test done and certified within 72 hours of every intention to travel 

Until it’s established how long the vaccine is successful for (despite the positivity, this aspect is totally unknown at this stage), then I can’t see this suggestion having precedence over the short term testing result?

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, manxst said:

Until it’s established how long the vaccine is successful for (despite the positivity, this aspect is totally unknown at this stage), then I can’t see this suggestion having precedence over the short term testing result?

So long as the vaccine date is recorded and the type of vaccine the country being visited could make a determination about the time between vaccination date and travel date

Much better than getting a pcr test every month or two for example