IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, Utah 01 said:

You must have blinked and missed it a few pages back courtesy of Roxanne:

'they were going to wait to see what happened elsewhere'

That’s always been strategy , wait & see. Although Howie did say a couple of weeks ago that he had spoken to his mates in Channel Islands about testing & would see what learnings there were better but no new plans since!!

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

That’s always been strategy , wait & see. Although Howie did say a couple of weeks ago that he had spoken to his mates in Channel Islands about testing & would see what learnings there were better but no new plans since!!

To be fair, as much as I think our current leadership are incompetent, waiting to see the outcomes of other testing regimes before we decide on a confirmed course of action isn't the worst approach. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lxxx said:

To be fair, as much as I think our current leadership are incompetent, waiting to see the outcomes of other testing regimes before we decide on a confirmed course of action isn't the worst approach. 

A bit like this recent report?

https://www.oxera.com/test-and-release-scheme

But we still pedal the 7% effectiveness PHE estimated back in July I think it was. The unfortunate problem is that we can see how other people do many things, but until we start actually doing some testing at various stages ourselves, we won't know how effective the reporting is for our own Island.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jaymann said:

A bit like this recent report?

https://www.oxera.com/test-and-release-scheme

But we still pedal the 7% effectiveness PHE estimated back in July I think it was. The unfortunate problem is that we can see how other people do many things, but until we start actually doing some testing at various stages ourselves, we won't know how effective the reporting is for our own Island.

I rather think DHSC have wedded themselves so tightly to Public Health England that if PHE say the Oxera approach is questionable they will just go along with it.

6 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

I rather think DHSC have wedded themselves so tightly to Public Health England that if PHE say the Oxera approach is questionable they will just go along with it.

Indeed. Its ironic because Oxera advised the Government on the offshore gas & gas price regulation and I don't recall anybody in Tynwald or COMIN doubting them then.

I still firmly believe that our strategy built entirely around the UK (England) is unwise and we need to see a bigger world beyond. We all know that the UK is more of a mess than most places in Europe, I'm not entirely sure its the standard we should align with.

Edited by jaymann

3 minutes ago, jaymann said:

Indeed. Its ironic because Oxera advised the Government on the offshore gas.

I still firmly believe that our strategy built entirely around the UK (England) is unwise and we need to see a bigger world beyond. We all know that the UK is more of a mess than most places in Europe, I'm not entirely sure its the standard we should align with.

Completely agree we need to act as a stand alone jurisdiction in this and find a solution that works for us but as our health department is so entwined with PHE across we have left ourselves little wiggle room. Or so it appears. I'd like to see Ashford take a more decisive approach but I'm just not sure he has it in him.

Edited by Lxxx
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Lxxx said:

It's not about pretending it isn't here it is about acknowledging it is but keeping it in perspective.  

Until such a time as it overwhelm's our health service we shouldn't make any knee jerk reactions. Keep it sensible, deal with cases as we are doing and don't whip up the illiterate's by going out of our way to find more cases or publicising the ones we do have. 

Nature will find a way of doing what it does, we need to work with it not carpet bomb the economy like they are doing across and destroy businesses, livelihoods and lives in the process.

But waiting till the health service is overwhelmed before deciding to do anything is literally insane.  It's like announcing you shouldn't use the brakes till the car has actually driven over the cliff - the time to take action is long before that point.

Similarly not "going out of our way to find more cases" is the definition of pretending it isn't there.  And those cases will end up infecting more people.

There's no excuse for this sort of attitude.  It's not like we haven't learnt a lot over the last nine months.  We know what works and what causes damage.    We know what the fast effective actions are, and that confused and late ones will make things worse, and that doing nothing is the worst of all.  We can see what a mess the UK has made by following such a mixture of incompetent policies.  We can look around the world and see how badly countries who followed similar (or even worse) policies had similar results, not just in terms of illness and deaths, but in damage to the economy and financial cost to the government.

And yet people keep repeating the same meaningless words as if they will make things better.  They don't, they make things worse.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But waiting till the health service is overwhelmed before deciding to do anything is literally insane.  It's like announcing you shouldn't use the brakes till the car has actually driven over the cliff - the time to take action is long before that point.

Similarly not "going out of our way to find more cases" is the definition of pretending it isn't there.  And those cases will end up infecting more people.

There's no excuse for this sort of attitude.  It's not like we haven't learnt a lot over the last nine months.  We know what works and what causes damage.    We know what the fast effective actions are, and that confused and late ones will make things worse, and that doing nothing is the worst of all.  We can see what a mess the UK has made by following such a mixture of incompetent policies.  We can look around the world and see how badly countries who followed similar (or even worse) policies had similar results, not just in terms of illness and deaths, but in damage to the economy and financial cost to the government.

And yet people keep repeating the same meaningless words as if they will make things better.  They don't, they make things worse.

With all due respect, that's just your opinion. 

I’m fervently of the opinion - and I hope they are right, that the UK govt has pinned a high degree of confidence in resolving the crisis with an effective vaccine. With indications roll out will begin soon ( https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-news-oxford-vaccine-christmas-lockdown/ ) there will hopefully be a turning point by the spring, and with a bit of a time lag, some good news for the Island in terms of travel and trade opportunities opening up again. God willing, by this time next year the world should be looking a lot more familiar. 

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

HaHa. I thought that was the idea......but that's just my opinion:cool:

Haha. Fair point. 

I suppose what I meant was he was saying the current approach is 'literally insane' but here we are at the end of November and things are pretty okay here as things stand. Sure we need to sort this 14 day quarantine and drawbridge mentality but I walk out my front door and it could be February 2020. Not so sure many places in the world can say that.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I’m fervently of the opinion - and I hope they are right, that the UK govt has pinned a high degree of confidence in resolving the crisis with an effective vaccine. With indications roll out will begin soon ( https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-news-oxford-vaccine-christmas-lockdown/ ) there will hopefully be a turning point by the spring, and with a bit of a time lag, some good news for the Island in terms of travel and trade opportunities opening up again. God willing, by this time next year the world should be looking a lot more familiar. 

Inshallah.