IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Does anyone know the science behind the vaccine preventing not only developing the disease, but also transmitting it? 

There seem to be quite a few people unwilling to have the vaccine over safety fears, but if it prevents transmission then that is quite an advantage to factor into the risk.  Admittedly, not for the individual but in a public health argument. 

As far as I am aware it stops symptoms not the transmission. In the Oxford vaccine trial on monkeys they still had the virus in their nasal passages even though they were not exhibiting outward signs of having it.

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Does anyone know the science behind the vaccine preventing not only developing the disease, but also transmitting it? 

There seem to be quite a few people unwilling to have the vaccine over safety fears, but if it prevents transmission then that is quite an advantage to factor into the risk.  Admittedly, not for the individual but in a public health argument. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wusa9.com/amp/article/news/verify/will-covid-vaccine-stop-people-from-spreading-virus-verify/65-980a9c42-2790-4658-96ff-26d144fc6bb8

An unknown quantity as yet, Gladys... 

Edited by quilp
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

As far as I am aware it stops symptoms not the transmission. In the Oxford vaccine trial on monkeys they still had the virus in their nasal passages even though they were not exhibiting outward signs of having it.

Manna from heaven for Howie and Ashy.

Not eradication - keep those bloody foreigners out for another few years!

10 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Radio 4. ''How to vaccinate the World''. Todays (2) added some more info but not the definate answer.  Podcast avail.

Some worry for pregnant Women, side effects not known.

You would have to be a special kind of stupid to be injected with a rushed vaccine with side effects unknown at a time you were carrying the most precious cargo imaginable. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Banker said:

Anyone think Howie will allow families over from uk at Xmas to allow a bit of festive cheer like whole UK are doing or is it shoot non residents on sight?

It would be a wise PR move, especially considering we are letting all manner of other people come over (key workers, house buyers etc...)

16 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

They do need to seriously police these 'returnees'. Especially those arriving weeks commencing Mon 6th and 13th in the build up to xmas.

Why do you suggest that? It’s likely already here to be honest. We seem to be adding covid ‘clusters’ almost daily for some strange reason. Surely several clusters now being identified suggests some sort of low level community transmission? Never mind though regardless let’s have a massive Lido night at the Villa for several thousand people and the Douglas Christmas lights ceremony for good measure. I’d be betting 14 days on from the Lido reunion will be when it hits and it will have nothing to do with returning students or other returnees. It will be to do with our government seeking to ignore reality. 

12 minutes ago, All Right said:

Why do you suggest that? It’s likely already here to be honest. We seem to be adding covid ‘clusters’ almost daily for some strange reason. Surely several clusters now being identified suggests some sort of low level community transmission? Never mind though regardless let’s have a massive Lido night at the Villa for several thousand people and the Douglas Christmas lights ceremony for good measure. I’d be betting 14 days on from the Lido reunion will be when it hits and it will have nothing to do with returning students or other returnees. It will be to do with our government seeking to ignore reality. 

Haven't we been hearing this for any mass gathering on the Island since back in May?

How long do we stop living our life on the basis that covid may return?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, All Right said:

Or choosing to be rooted in reality and not buy into the doom-mongering by a portion of the population who would love nothing more than to be locked down so they could say 'I told you so' from behind the curtains.

Edited by Lxxx
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lxxx said:

You would have to be a special kind of stupid to be injected with a rushed vaccine with side effects unknown at a time you were carrying the most precious cargo imaginable. 

Are you more worried about the vaccine, or the virus?  I appreciate you've always been a bit of an 'anti-vaxxer', but I don't understand how on the one hand you're downplaying the effects of the virus, and in the next post accusing a section of society of being stupid if they choose to protect themselves against it with a harmless version.

1 hour ago, Lxxx said:

So those who choose to have the vaccine gain immunity, and anti-vaxers can catch the disease, continuing natural selection

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Are you more worried about the vaccine, or the virus?  I appreciate you've always been a bit of an 'anti-vaxxer', but I don't understand how on the one hand you're downplaying the effects of the virus, and in the next post accusing a section of society of being stupid if they choose to protect themselves against it with a harmless version.

We were referring to pregnant women. As far as I am aware there were no pregnant women in any of the trials so no-one knows the effect of this new kind of vaccine on foetuses. Mrs Lxxx, who was pregnant last year, is quite insistent on this fact.

Of course if someone wants to take that chance then that is of course their decision. Maybe it was ill judged of me to call them stupid but it would be wise to omit our most physiologically vulnerable in the first wave. 

I also don't personally think I am a 'bit of an anti-vaxxer' at all. It would be silly to be anti anything if it is safe and effective. It would be prudent though to see if it satisfies both those criteria over the medium term before we hail it when it isn't even out to market. 

Edited by Lxxx
  • Like 1