IOM Covid removing restrictions

Filippo

1 hour ago, Golfer said:

Home learning was non existent in lots of schools, there were a few good exceptions but mostly there was very little, ask the parents. A number of teachers did very little except painting house or gardening etc

Since you were out stalking most of them, it must be true

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrunkenMonkey said:

Would you as a tax payer be willing to pay for the additional six weeks the teachers would be working?

Why should they? Most teachers have had 3 months of doing nothing so effectively they’ve already been paid to do the work. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

Why should they? 

Teachers are contracted to work 1250 hours per academic year (in reality we all know they work much more than this due to planning/preperation.)
Come July 24th, they will have fulfilled their contractual obligation.

4 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

Most teachers have had 3 months of doing nothing

Have they? Where is your proof?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrunkenMonkey said:

Teachers are contracted to work 1250 hours per academic year

Is that right? That’s 32 hours per week, given a 39 week academic year. Seems like a good deal, even with all the lesson planning, marking etc.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

Why should they? Most teachers have had 3 months of doing nothing so effectively they’ve already been paid to do the work. 

The independent sector very quickly geared up for teaching online. If the state sector didn't, then that's a govt issue. It's not down to the employees.

In the UK there is talk of giving the state educated who have missed schooling a head start in the next round of exams, like a handicap. The conversation around that is proof that the grades awarded every year are likely relative.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, pongo said:

The independent sector very quickly geared up for teaching online. If the state sector didn't, then that's a govt issue. It's not down to the employees.

In the UK there is talk of giving the state educated who have missed schooling a head start in the next round of exams, like a handicap. The conversation around that is proof that the grades awarded every year are likely relative.

It is down to the employees to do what they are paid well to do. They don’t need to be spoon fed by Gov. as to what is needed. Can they not think for themselves ?

5 minutes ago, finlo said:

Why would we need to pay them twice?

The teachers have come out of this with a pretty poor reputation. I for one will not be clapping Government on Tynwald day as proposed. Some have had enough of my money for doing sod all in the last 3 months. I think the whole proposal around orchestrated clapping is sad in the extreme. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Newbie said:

The teachers have come out of this with a pretty poor reputation. I for one will not be clapping Government on Tynwald day as proposed. Some have had enough of my money for doing sod all in the last 3 months. I think the whole proposal around orchestrated clapping is sad in the extreme. 

The Hospital staff deserve being clapped. You nor I would have changed places with those nurses on the Covid ward, or those staff dealing with potential Covid suffers. Teachers don’t even come close to frontline workers. 
Doctors, nurses, HCAs, domestic staff et al are the ones due respect. They couldn’t stay at home for 3 months on full pay doing , in most cases, nothing to justify their salary. Lots of local teachers should hang their heads on shame.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scotty said:

The Hospital staff deserve being clapped. You nor I would have changed places with those nurses on the Covid ward, or those staff dealing with potential Covid suffers.

That’s basically my issue a lot of government aren’t frontline workers and have been paid for not doing a lot in the last few months. I’ve got no issue with frontline workers but the rest latching on and expecting a big clap around Tynwald Hill is a load of BS. This will definitely be one of the few Tynwald days that I won’t be attending. 

1 minute ago, Mr Newbie said:

That’s basically my issue a lot of government aren’t frontline workers and have been paid for not doing a lot in the last few months. I’ve got no issue with frontline workers but the rest latching on and expecting a big clap around Tynwald Hill is a load of BS. This will definitely be one of the few Tynwald days that I won’t be attending. 

Classic example. Sports Direct offered 50% off everything today to blue light card holders. I have a close family member who is working a “ long day” today and may not be able to take advantage of what is a generous offer. However staff in care homes and are learning disabled homes are able to take advantage of it. How does that work out.?